IQ Panel 2 w/ Control4 Disconnecting

Hello. I have an IQ Panel 2 integrated with my Control4 system. Approximately every 7 days, the panel disconnects and must be restarted to function. Feels like an edge-case bug in the panel’s third-party integration software.

Things I’ve tried (for reference):

• Firmware update (N/A)
  • Control4 driver update (N/A)
  • Token change/refresh
  • Multiple wifi configurations (2G only, 5G only, own SSID, etc.) – signal is extremely strong btw
  • Fixed IP
  • Two different sets/vendors of network hardware (switches, router, etc.), incidentally

At least one other guy on C4forums has the same issue. There are also some posts here referencing what sounds like the same bug. (Though these users may not be ‘official,’ they go into great detail which may be helpful for Qolsys engineering).

Anyone heard of this?

To Surety: is this something I should directly contact Qolsys on? I specifically got this panel for it’s C4 integration.

Thanks!

There are also some posts here referencing what sounds like the same bug.

Seems to be a ton of unrelated info in that thread, can you link directly to the relevant posts?

is this something I should directly contact Qolsys on? I specifically got this panel for it’s C4 integration.

I’m happy to forward this to Qolsys. They’ll certainly need to look at it.

In general, it sounds like you’ve been troubleshooting what I would first suggest looking into. Whenever I hear of a relatively regular repeating issue that occurs with an integration relying on network traffic I would immediately consider the router and implications of its settings.

Did you set a static IP or DHCP reservation for the IQ Panel, Control4, or both?

Does it reconnect if you reboot the Control4 Controller? Or only if you reboot the IQ Panel?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Seems to be a ton of unrelated info in that thread, can you link directly to the relevant posts?

Potentially relevant posts start at 213.

I’m happy to forward this to Qolsys. They’ll certainly need to look at it.

Thanks.

In general, it sounds like you’ve been troubleshooting what I would first suggest looking into. Whenever I hear of a relatively regular repeating issue that occurs with an integration relying on network traffic I would immediately consider the router and implications of its settings.

Yeah, me too. I even looked for scheduled events on both the USG (router) and C4 that could be disrupting it on an interval but no dice.

Did you set a static IP or DHCP reservation for the IQ Panel, Control4, or both?

C4 doesn’t set IPs, but I do have it set in the panel and my USG (router). I’ve tried multiple permutations. The IP doesn’t appear to be conflicting in the logs and when the issue occurs it remains on the network.

Does it reconnect if you reboot the Control4 Controller? Or only if you reboot the IQ Panel?

Have to reboot the panel. C4 reboots have no effect once it’s lost connectivity.

Have to reboot the panel. C4 reboots have no effect once it’s lost connectivity.

That’s interesting. Something in the IQ Panel software or its own network connection then probably. I have forwarded the info to Qolsys and I will follow up here with any suggestion.

Has this always happened? When did you notice it start?

That’s interesting. Something in the IQ Panel software or its own network connection then probably. I have forwarded the info to Qolsys and I will follow up here with any suggestion.

That’s my thinking too. Appreciate you doing that. Happy to log for them, etc.

Has this always happened? When did you notice it start?

Pretty sure it has. When I first integrated it, I was making other changes to the system, so I didn’t notice the cadence of disconnects and attributed it to that. Now that everything has been stable, it’s clear because we have buttons for ‘goodmorning’ that send a disarm command, and when the panel does its ‘weekly drop,’ it doesn’t work and we’ve set off the alarm a few times.

Hey Jason – hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Wanted to send a quick note to ask two questions:

1. any response from Qolsys?

2. I noticed your portal has a link/button which resets my panel. As an interim solution, I’d love to be able to trigger this via automation to keep my system up and running. Could you provide a secure webhook/machine instructions to access the link (may be a dev. question)? I tried to inspect the code but it’s behind the page.

Thanks!

Gary

Yes, the first recommendation is making sure the panel is updated to 2.6.2 firmware. Steps are shown here. It looks like you are on 2.6.1 right now.

The individual I spoke to at Qolsys reports he has Control4 enabled on his system on 2.6.2 and is not noticing this.

Note that 2.6.2 has a caveat that it requires 6 digits codes to be enabled. They added that as a requirement for additional security with the third party connections.

Any change in behavior?

As an interim solution, I’d love to be able to trigger this via automation to keep my system up and running. Could you provide a secure webhook/machine instructions to access the link (may be a dev. question)? I tried to inspect the code but it’s behind the page.

I’m not sure we’ll be able to accommodate that, specifically, but I have forwarded an enhancement request to allow repeated scheduled reboots for troubleshooting. That may be something our team can simply add as an option in the system manager. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Thanks, Jason.

I’m updating the panel now and will see if there’s any improvement (in about a week when the issue usually presents). Flingers crossed, though, like your contact at Qolsys, the vast majority of c4forums.com users don’t appear to be having the issue either.

And thanks for looking into the reboot command. That’d be super helpful.

Hey Jason,

Hope you’ve been well. Wanted to give the system a little time before following up.

Unfortunately, the disconnecting is still occurring: Had the first drop around 7-8 days after the patch (per usual) and another only a day or two later. As before, rebooting the panel restores the connection (with no change in C4 configuration).

Bummer it didn’t work – what’s next?

Thanks!

Gary

I’m not sure we’ll be able to accommodate that, specifically, but I have forwarded an enhancement request to allow repeated scheduled reboots for troubleshooting. That may be something our team can simply add as an option in the system manager. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Cool. I bet this would work, as not to overstep my tech. knowledge, but this feels like an overflow or something.

It looks like we are still waiting on information from Qolsys at this time. I would not have any additional trouble shooting steps but we will follow up here once we have more information.

just wondering if Control4 (or 3rd party integrations in general) can be enabled on the regular IQ2 panel, i.e. not the IQ2+? thanks

Never tried to do that on the IQ Panel 2 but you can find information on the topic from Qolsys below

https://qolsys.reamaze.com/kb/faqs-for-iqp2/how-to-integrate-your-iq-system-with-control-4

thanks, just did it.

You need the dealer code and its there as the link says.