IQ Panel 2 Signal Extender

It sounds like this is an evolution in the Qolsys line. First unencrypted sensors –> S Line –> Power G.

I installed a daughtercard to be able to use Motion Sensors with Image Capture. That likely wouldn’t have any impact on my ability to install this daughtercard, would it

Unfortunately the news I am hearing currently is that there are no plans to sell the daughtercard individually, and that there will be a few versions of the panel with Power G.

Essentially, Power G compatibility will require a new panel we are told at this time.

Unfortunate about Power G requiring a whole new panel. Hopefully they offer to retrofit existing panels or allow users to install a Power G daughter card.

In the meantime, are there any sensors (motion detector, recessed, d/w from another manufacturer, etc) with known better range than the IQ Mini D/W sensors? Are the full size sensors stronger? My basement window is losing connection with the panel regularly, but I need to secure that as it’s an emergency escape route for the basement in case of fire. Since this window is out of sight, I’m not concerned about concealment or appearance. The IQ Mini D/W is sometimes connected and then randomly losing signal strength and disconnects.

In the meantime, are there any sensors (motion detector, recessed, d/w from another manufacturer, etc) with known better range than the IQ Mini D/W sensors? Are the full size sensors stronger?

Different sensors will have negligible range differences. The larger sensors however will typically have larger antennae which are set further off the door, so in cases of environmental attenuation at the sensor location, a larger sensor may indeed see some improvement in signal.

The RE101 might be a good choice to try.

So I am still having trouble with a couple of sensors that are at the furthest point from my panel and I am getting ready to order the RE524X and a couple of the RE101 sensors. I was reading through the instructions and also watched your video. I’ve got a couple of few questions though.

• Using the RE101’s it would just be a repeater, correct?
  • In the instructions I don’t see a setting for the Qolsys panel or RE101 sensors but I am assuming I would use the Interlogix settings for the sensor/panel types?
  • As I understand the unit “locks” after 30 days. Does this just lock the sensor and panel types? If I want to add additional sensors for the unit to repeat in the future I can do this, correct?
  • I read the instruction on your site but also read through some install info elsewhere and I was a little confused on whether the RE524X actually gets enrolled into the panel if it is only being used as a repeater. Can you clarify this process?

Thanks for the help.

Using the RE101’s it would just be a repeater, correct? In the instructions I don’t see a setting for the Qolsys panel or RE101 sensors but I am assuming I would use the Interlogix settings for the sensor/panel types?

Yes, you would just set both the Sensors and the Panel dials to GE.

As I understand the unit “locks” after 30 days. Does this just lock the sensor and panel types? If I want to add additional sensors for the unit to repeat in the future I can do this, correct?

The RE524X locks the Dial selections and sensor configuration after 30 days, but yes, new sensors can be added later after the lock.

I read the instruction on your site but also read through some install info elsewhere and I was a little confused on whether the RE524X actually gets enrolled into the panel if it is only being used as a repeater. Can you clarify this process?

Yes, you learn the translator into the panel and then learn sensors through the translator. You can find a copy of the installation manual which details the process here.

Unlike prior models you are still learning sensors through the RE524X, not just plug and play.

For Qolsys:

Translator enrollment:
Enter Learn Sensor mode.
At the Trip Sensor prompt: Trip the translator’s cover
tamper to enroll the translator into the panel.
Select Group 13 instant perimeter
Sensor enrollment:
Enter Learn Sensor mode.
At the Trip Sensor prompt: Tamper each sensor to enroll
it. If the sensor does not have a tamper switch trip the
sensor with translator cover open to enroll it.
• For the first 24 hours after power-up, all Interlogix
sensor trips will transmit a temporary tamper for
enrollment if the translator cover is open.
Set up the sensor for the desired behavior.”

Awesome. Was confused about the locking part but makes sense now. Thank you again.

Trying to understand the enrollment process a little more as I did not do the initial set up on the system I have.

When I enroll the RE524X into the IQ Panel 2 should the sensor type be a “Door/Window”? I see there is an options for a translator, but then I can’t choose the “Group 13 Instant Perimeter”.

I’m thinking of adding a RE109 glass break sensor to the RE524X - does the sensor setting chosen for the actual repeater make a difference with this?

Thanks again.

When I enroll the RE524X into the IQ Panel 2 should the sensor type be a “Door/Window”? I see there is an options for a translator, but then I can’t choose the “Group 13 Instant Perimeter”.

I’m thinking of adding a RE109 glass break sensor to the RE524X – does the sensor setting chosen for the actual repeater make a difference with this?

How the translator itself is programmed as far as Sensor Group goes does not impact how the sensors that are learned through it react I believe, but there is actually only one sensor group option (13) if you select translator.

On the IQ Panel 2 you would select Wireless Translator and (13) Translator. Group 13 reacts the same way regardless of the sensor type, the label just changes.

Jason, if you were installing a new system in large home of your own that required a repeater to connect to distant sensors, would you select non-encrypted sensors or pay double for encrypted sensors? (I realize they might not list for double just what if you actually had to pay double?)

Also, I read that smoke detectors can’t repeat at all is that correct?

Thanks!

Also, I read that smoke detectors can’t repeat at all is that correct?

Correct. Life Safety devices are not assisted generally by translators/repeaters.

Jason, if you were installing a new system in large home of your own that required a repeater to connect to distant sensors, would you select non-encrypted sensors or pay double for encrypted sensors?

Installing a new system, if I needed to consider range I would choose the IQ Panel 2 Plus and use Power G sensors every time.

Power G sensors would require no repeater, have a huge effective range, and you would not need to worry about range issues with Smoke devices not being repeated.

Thanks again for all your accurate and helpful information.
I found out that the range between the Qolsys panel and the PowerG sensors is limited --something about the Qolsys antenna. Only the DSC panel is able to attain the full range capability (advertised as 2 kilometers open air) of the PowerG sensors.

Yes, the effective two way transmission range on the IQ Panel 2 is less than the DSC panel for Power G, but that limited range is still about 4 times the effective range of other sensors, meaning still twice the range of a system using a repeater, and that added range is omni-directional.

If range is a factor, always go with Power G.

I found this on Qolsys Site:

[https://qolsys.reamaze.com/kb/faqs-for-iqp2/using-repeaters-with-s-line-and-other-devices]

So switching the sensors source from S-line to SecurityRF-319 would make it possible to use RF repeater like the RE524X?

Thank you!

Yes, however you lose the benefit of the sensor encryption that way.

ok thanks,
But the repeater will definitely work with the S-line sensors?
so anything changed since 2 years ago when you said the repeater won’t work at all with the IQ Panel 2?

Ah, I see what you are referring to up top. Never said the Repeater won’t work with the IQ Panel 2+, it will not repeat S-Line encrypted signals.

The original response needs updated because it assumes S-Line sensors will always be encrypted, but they actually transmit both encrypted and unencrypted signals. You program the panel to listen to one or the other. Thanks for pointing that out, we’ll fix the original response. I don’t recall if it was available at the time to choose the signal source.

If looking to buy new, or if you just have issues with a handful of sensors, I’d still strongly recommend going PowerG if you have the IQ Panel 2+, as it will probably be cheaper than an RE524X and will be encrypted.

Thanks you again,
Can you refer me to a G power sensors (doors/windows and motions) that would work with qolsys?

Thanks!

You would need an IQ Panel 2+ (not the older 2, the 2+ has a PowerG radio). Compatible sensors are listed here.

Thank again!
one last question : )
i see that the powerG is only one piece? (with no magnet?)
also, is there powerG TIlt sensor?

Thanks so much!

i see that the powerG is only one piece? (with no magnet?)

The DSC brand PowerG door/window sensors are two piece with sensor and magnet, such as the PG9303, PG9945 etc.

also, is there powerG TIlt sensor?

No currently there is not a PowerG tilt compatible with the Qolsys IQP2+