Integration with z-wave control button

Hi,
I want a wall switch of z-wave (something like this) to control a scene in alarm.com. Is this possible?

For example: let’s say I created a scene “away” in alarm.com that turns off all my z-wave lights. Instead of going to the Qolsys panel, I want a physical button I can turn on/off and it’ll trigger the scene.

It’s something that I can probably do with SmartThings hub easily, but I was thinking, since the Qolsys has already z-wave controller, it can function as a z-wave hub and I could do the same without buying SmartThings.

This is not possible at this time.

It was previously being developed, there was a two button device made specifically to activate Alarm.com scenes that was being tested, but I think there was a lack of demand and it was shelved.

You can activate scenes on your panel screen, and most use the phone to do so. You can create home page widgets for Alarm.com scenes on your phone, so you can quickly activate the scene without navigating through the app.

Interesting. The widgets are very helpful indeed and I’ll use them for sure.

I’m wondering though why this option is not popular. As far as I know, many automation systems, such as, Control 4, Crestron, Lutron (RA) have “keypad” to control the entire house or multiple zones. In a big house, you don’t want to go to the panel for this, and regardless, a physical switch is more convenient.

Anyway, I’m wondering what are my options if I do want such capabilities. I guess I’ll buy a z-wave hub such as SmartThings, and configure the scenes there. Now, the question is, do I have an option to sync the scenes somehow with ADC?

Unfortunately you cannot import third party scenes into Alarm.com. You can use a secondary controller and create scenes in it, that will function as a parallel control system. The two would not integrate.

I can’t speak to the popularity thing or give a reason why development ceased. The last info on it was from about 5 years ago I think. A big focus of Alarm.com is leveraging the smartphone.

I got it. Thanks.
How about the other way around. Say, I have a secondary z-wave controller that I can set scenes. Can I use the PowerG motion sensor I bought from you to trigger the lights? or is it married to the Qolsys panel.

There is a case where this is an option. Control4 actually has integration with the Qolsys panel directly. You can then use sensor activity in the Qolsys panel for Control4 operations I believe. I have not used it myself.

Instructions are here.

Additionally, Lutron RadioRa2 is compatible with Alarm.com. You can link it so you have control over Lutron devices within the Lutron app, as well as control over Lutron lights and shades in Alarm.com.

Thanks Json, yes, I saw that there is such an integration between ADC and C4 and RA2. I was hoping it’d be also for SmartThings, but I can’t find a clear information about this.

What if I buy a z-wave motion sensor instead of the PowerG and connect it to both Alarm.com and SmartThings. Do you see any potential issue with it?

What if I buy a z-wave motion sensor instead of the PowerG and connect it to both Alarm.com and SmartThings. Do you see any potential issue with it?

Z-wave sensors are not compatible. No Alarm.com compatible panels support them.

Z-wave on a whole is not a reliable wireless method for large networks of battery operated devices like alarm sensors since it is a mesh network and battery operated Z-wave devices do not repeat signals.

I was hoping it’d be also for SmartThings, but I can’t find a clear information about this.

No, Smartthings does not integrate in the way the others do. I’ve heard of users reference this as an option, but I cannot vouch for it.

I see. OK.
How about this option “JASCO Z-Wave Wireless Smart Dimmer Paddle” ? I found this switch in the ADC hardware list. From the description they say:
" * Can be controlled in groups of multiple lights or turned on or off within ambient interior lighting scenes."

Do you know anything about this switch by any chance?

That is a dimmer switch. It could be added to your panel and then controlled as part of an Alarm.com scene. Is that what you are asking about?

Not entirely, but maybe I didn’t understand their description.
They’re talking about controlling a group of multiple lights. So I was thinking that it’s similar to the product in my first message of this post. But maybe this one of JASCO needs to be wired to all other lights. Not sure.

They are just referencing that it can be added to a system and then controlled via scenes and grouping methods of the controller. The device itself is not a scene controller. It is just a dimmer switch for a light.

Oh I see. OK, thanks for the clarification.