Image sensor and hardwire 16 model differences...

Hello,

I wanted to buy an image sensor for my IQ Panel 2 Plus. I know I need the IS card. It looks like the “latest” version is the ADC-IS-300-LP. Is this the “best” model available right now? I also see the Qolsys and 2GIG Gen3 models in online stores. I believe they are all the same, but I wanted to confirm before I buy one. When I look at the label on the back of the image sensor, it always has the ADC-IS-300-LP part number. Is that correct, or am I just not finding “true” Qolsys models with Qolsys part numbers? My only concern is that the different model numbers have a different firmware that speaks to it’s particular panel (2GIG versus Qolsys vs DSC, etc.)

For example: Qolsys QZ8103-840 or 2GIG IMAGE3

Same type of question for the hardwire 16. I see there is the hardwire 16 that is not encrypted. That model is probably for compatibility reasons with other panels besides the IQ panel when they do not support encryption. Then you have the Hardwire 16 S which is probably the same just with encryption capability for S-line panels like the IQ panel, panel 2, panel 2 plus. I now see that alarm.com only shows the Hardwire 16 F on the site. It doesn’t even show the 16 S or 16, so my guess it is being discontinued. I know the main difference in the Hardwire 16 F is the 16th zone that is normally open and for smoke detectors. Is the rest of the panel the same as the Hardwire 16 S? Is the power output for the siren the same? I know there was some issues with the way you connect the IQ Panel 2 to the Hardwire 16 S for the siren. It looks like the Hardwire 16 F supports the siren up to 500mA wirelessly with an IQ Panel 2. I think the 16 S is just 300mA. Just trying to see if there is any advantage to getting the Hardwire 16 F instead of the Hardwire 16 S (besides the obvious smoke detector usage). Thank you.

I wanted to buy an image sensor for my IQ Panel 2 Plus. I know I need the IS card. It looks like the “latest” version is the ADC-IS-300-LP. Is this the “best” model available right now?

Image Sensors are not currently compatible with the IQ Panel 2+. Instead, there are similar Power G detectors with built in still image cameras that perform the same function. Look to the PG9934P.

Qolsys is looking to make both the Image Sensor card and the Power G card usable at the same time in the IQ Panel 2+, that that is not currently an option and would likely require physical changes to the panel models, (probably requiring a new panel, there is only one antenna built in which is capable of supporting those cards.)

Just trying to see if there is any advantage to getting the Hardwire 16 F instead of the Hardwire 16 S (besides the obvious smoke detector usage).

The Hardwire 16F is the brand new model of Hardwire translator and the major difference is the support of a fire zone. It is replacing the Hardwire S in distribution.

It looks like the Hardwire 16 F supports the siren up to 500mA wirelessly with an IQ Panel 2

This is not wireless siren support. The IQ Panel 2 and the Hardwire must have a cable running between them so the IQ Panel 2 internal siren relay can trigger the Hardwire 16 output. See this thread for more info.

Hello Jason. Thank you for the info. Looking at the PG9934P. Will this work like the other image sensors that have been used until now (like the image1/2/3, adc 100/200/300, etc.)? Is the only difference that they are Power G and run on that different frequency with the other Power G characteristics of better range/encryption? If so, then it sounds like the Power G image sensors are the way to go?

I attached the Hardwire 16-S and Hardwire 16-F install sheet. The Hardwire 16-F definitely says it supports wireless siren activation now with only IQ Panel 2 panels. Is this a fluke? I believe you are shipping me an IQ Panel 2 Plus which has Power G AND S-line support. Is the S-line support the 319.5MHz it mentions for the wireless siren support?

I already ordered everything from you. I just wanted to add some image sensors and the mandatory Hardwire 16-S/F (my house is prewired). Since the Hardwire 16-F looked like it had some differences, I came here to ask some questions.

qolsys-iq-hardwire-16-f-install-guide.pdf (364 KB)

qolsys-iq-hardwire-16-s-quick-install-guide.pdf (6.09 MB)

Very cool, I hadn’t seen that in the docs yet, but yes it looks like the Hardwire F now supports wireless siren terminal activation. I’ll double check with Qolsys to determine whether this is available from the start or is supported in upcoming firmware.

Is the S-line support the 319.5MHz it mentions for the wireless siren support?

Yes, S-Line is an encrypted 319.5Mhz protocol. The panel is compatible with Power G, S-Line, and legacy 319.5 sensors.

The Power G Image Sensors are not identical, but functionally similar.

The Power G PG9934P has a lower resolution (320X240 vs 640X480) and a bit farther range than the Image 3 ADC-IS-300-LP. The nightvision stats listed suggest the Power G PG9934P has about 70% farther nightvision effective camera range. Battery life is roughly identical, although I would expect better life out of Power G.

Jason,

Thank you for the responses. Hopefully the wireless siren is supported already. It is just a small blurb in the install guide mentioning the wireless panel option, so there is not too much info to go on. I’ll go ahead and snag a Hardwire 16-F since I need a Hardwire unit anyways and the “F” model will have a few better things for future add ons like smoke, sirens, etc. Let me know what you hear from Qolsys, although I will find out myself in a few days when I install it with the external siren.

On the image sensor, my main concern was that ADC worked with the PG9934P like it does with the other image sensors. I didn’t know if the Power G image sensors might be limited to just motion until future updates let them function as full image sensors. It sounds like you are saying they fully function in ADC with alarms/alerts/automation/etc. The only difference is the specs of the Power G image sensor versus the previous ADC-100/200/300 image sensors. It looks like the electronics are just as good or better (range, night vision range, sensitivity, etc.), but the camera is half the resolution. I can live with that for now. Do you know of any other Power G image sensors out there that work with ADC?

Thanks again.

Do you know of any other Power G image sensors out there that work with ADC?

There is an outdoor model, but no other indoor models that I am aware.

As of 2.3 firmware on the IQ Panel 2+, the PG9934P sends a photo to ADC. See the official release notes for 2.3 here.

Jason,

I received the PG9934P image sensor and added it to the IQ Panel 2 Plus. It recognized it as a motion sensor connecting using Power G. I logged into alarm.com and could not find any image tabs for it. It was not listed under the camera devices like the panel camera that lets me peek in, etc. I could not find anywhere where it would show me any actions I could take on it. The only thing I could find was the sensor status of when there was or wasn’t motion. I know you mentioned it would send pictures to the ADC and panel before, but I could not find it. Do I need to add it to the panel differently and not as a simple motion detector? Thank you.

Happy to help, I’ve reached out to Qolsys regarding this, they say they do not have written docs yet on the process. The PG 9934 can be Auto Learned by pressing and holding the enroll button, just like other PowerG devices. You can also manually add by changing the signal source to PowerG and using the prefix 140-xxxx. You can add up to 5 per panel.

You can choose Sensitivity Level Low, Medium or High, and Presence Detection on or off.

Upon setting off the alarm, the camera will take images and send those to the panel. 1 image of those will be uploaded to alarm.com. The Images on alarm.com are tied to the Panel Camera images.

If you are having trouble, can you post a photo of the programming screen for that sensor? You can get there under the Sensors - Edit Sensor Menu.

Jason,

I looked at everything and it is correctly added to the panel as Power G with the 140 prefix. I did find that in the sensor status you can run tests on it like enable LED and take picture. When you do, the picture shows up on the panel. It does not show up in ADC. There is also nothing you can do on ADC to peek in or view the camera in any way. I guess the Power G “image Sensor” is new and they are still working out the kinks. I hope they equal the features and functionality that previous image sensors had locally and on ADC. Can you show me a document somewhere that describes the “Presence Detection” feature? I know these are motion detectors, so I’m not sure what they added for the “presence detection” part. Thank you again.

I did find that in the sensor status you can run tests on it like enable LED and take picture. When you do, the picture shows up on the panel. It does not show up in ADC. There is also nothing you can do on ADC to peek in or view the camera in any way. I guess the Power G “image Sensor” is new and they are still working out the kinks. I hope they equal the features and functionality that previous image sensors had locally and on ADC

Can you test with an alarm scenario? If you have central station monitoring, you would want to place the account on test mode (can do so in your system manager) and then set off an alarm with the sensor. Do you see multiple images on the IQ Panel?

Can you show me a document somewhere that describes the “Presence Detection” feature? I know these are motion detectors, so I’m not sure what they added for the “presence detection” part. Thank you again.

I’m not seeing reference to that in any manuals or sales sheets for the PG9934P. Can you point to where you see that term used?

Jason,

I’m sure the pictures will work in the alarm mode. The difference in this and the other image sensors is that you could peek in and see things on demand. I’m guessing they will hopefully add all those features in later so that these newer Power G image sensors match the old ones.

You had referenced “Presence Detection” as having on or off options in the sensor settings on the panel along with sensitivity settings. I understand the sensitivity settings. I was just wondering what “presence Detection” on/off does.

Aha, yeah you are right, that was quoted from a Qolsys reply. I will check to see what they are referring to specifically, if they mean using it as an alarm sensor vs just a notification sensor or if it is some other feature.

I’m not seeing that referenced anywhere in official DSC documents, so it is possibly specific to the Qolsys Panel.