GC3 Smart Area 2 New Sensor Issue

Hello

I updated my firmware load to 3.5 which enables smart area partitions. I added a Honeywell 5800Mini to my GC3 panel, and the system recognized it and monitors it when under SM1.

However, when tagged as SM2 the panel will not monitor the sensor.

Is there something in the programming mode that i missed?

Thanks.

Happy to assist. You aren’t missing anything… That sensor is still being monitored

If the sensor in Smart Area 2 is tripped, you will not see the status reflected on the main panel’s home screen. You will see this reflected on a secondary panel that is assigned to the same smart area/partition.

If you click on the Smart Areas button on the GC3 home screen and enter a user code that has access to all Smart Areas, you will see the option to bypass if a sensor that is enrolled into that Smart Area is open.

To test, open the sensor enrolled in SA2. Then click on Smart Areas, on the main panel you should see the Bypass option for Smart Area 2.

Additionally, if Smart Area 2 is in alarm, the Smart Areas button on the main panel will be red but the home screen will still be visible as normal. You can acknowledge the alarm from that button. If a secondary panel is learned, it will exhibit the normal alarm behavior (when enrolled in that Smart Area).

Tyler - very helpful, as always.

Question & Comment:

Question:
If Partition 2, Sensor 1 is tripped, is there ANY alarm on Panel 1? Or just a red alarm icon?

Comment:
If you have an opportunity to pass feedback to 2Gig (not sure they want it), this seems to me like a HUGE miss on their part.

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to use a 2Gig gun lock, or another firearm related sensor, and partition it such that it is always armed, and calls out a signal / chirp even when unarmed but tripped - according to the logic above, assuming you have a Partition 1 panel, you receive NO audible alarm. Huge miss.

What is 2Gig doing to keep their products leading edge? It seems like they’ve been passed by Qolsys and aren’t investing any more. If i were to buy new today, I think i’d go with a Qolsys. 6-7 years ago, 2Gig was clearly in their own league.

Question:
If Partition 2, Sensor 1 is tripped, is there ANY alarm on Panel 1? Or just a red alarm icon?

Sorry, to clarify, If the sensor in SA2 is tripped while SA2 is armed, the main panel will sound an alarm. However, unlike a normal alarm state, the only visual cue is the red Smart Areas button.

If someone wanted to use a 2Gig gun lock, or another firearm related sensor, and partition it such that it is always armed, and calls out a signal / chirp even when unarmed but tripped - according to the logic above, assuming you have a Partition 1 panel, you receive NO audible alarm

You can set the sensor to generate an alarm state with a siren, even if it is in SA2. You just wont see the sensor status as open on the main panel, or hear a chirp/chime/voice announcement, unless you have a secondary panel assigned to SA2.

Do you want the gun cabinet sensor to generate an alarm (and have a signal sent to central station)?

What is 2Gig doing to keep their products leading edge? It seems like they’ve been passed by Qolsys and aren’t investing any more. If i were to buy new today, I think i’d go with a Qolsys. 6-7 years ago, 2Gig was clearly in their own league.

I agree, and it is why we recommend Qolsys over 2GIG in the current environment.

The newest/biggest thing from 2GIG right now is their E-Series GC2 and GC3 panels which offer the ability to use 2GIG E-Series sensors for encryption.