Flood sensor creating alarm

thanks, Jason. This was an interesting learning experience for me.

Time to part ways with this sensor. Free water sensor, anyone? :slight_smile:

So i finally got my hands on an the Alula RE118 flood and temp. I was able to enrol the flood by simply tampering the unit while the panel was in auto learn mode, and the original DL ID shows up on my IQ2 panel. For the Freeze, its the last number of serial number replaced by 1, and for the heat, its the last number replaced by 2.

But, how do I actually add the freeze or heat to the panel? The instructions say something about shorting the freeze and heat with a “wire” or “paper clip”, but how and when do I do this? with cover off and the panel in auto learn mode? is the wire or paper clip permanent or during the enrolling part?

UPDATE: I was able to learn in the freeze mode by removing the batteries, holding a wire to the freeze sensor terminals, and putting in the battery (one), while the panel is auto-learn mode. But, for the life of me, I cannot enroll the heat. Every time I try it, it says already enrolled (the water and freeze DL IDs’). Im doing it the same way as I did the freeze, but shorting the heat terminals.

The instructions say something about shorting the freeze and heat with a “wire” or “paper clip”, but how and when do I do this? with cover off and the panel in auto learn mode? is the wire or paper clip permanent or during the enrolling part?

This would be a temporary short performed while the panel is in learn mode.

But, for the life of me, I cannot enroll the heat. Every time I try it, it says already enrolled (the water and freeze DL IDs’). Im doing it the same way as I did the freeze, but shorting the heat terminals.

Which of the terminals are you shorting? You would want to do this while inserting the battery, and it should be the middle and bottom terminal for heat (when the freeze and heat labels are right-side up.

Are you able to manually add in the DL ID as it should appear (with last digit 2)? Use Add Sensor instead of auto-learning. Any luck?

Tampering should result in all three zones reporting a tamper.

thanks, Jason. I actually tried this, but then several hours later, i got a report saying the sensor (just the heat), was off line. I can try again doing it manually, otherwise, I will keep trying with the shorting method.

With regards to adding the sensor type.

1. Do I add the floor sensor as an IQ Flood? I believe the other option is other or multi function, but based on this thread, I don’t want alarms going off randomly if its not set to IQ Flood.

2. Both the freeze and heat sensors are “freeze” type sensors on the IQ2 panel, correct?

Yes, that should be right (Flood, Freeze, Freeze).

Out of curiosity, if you delete the Freeze zone and try to learn the Heat zone first, any difference in how it learns in?

Finally got this to work. Turns out you don’t actually need to remove the batteries, you just need to open the cover and then get a conducting material and just kind of rub over the two leads you want while the panel is an auto learn mode.

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, you would need a conductive wire or paperclip to short the terminal points. Glad to hear you got it working!

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday, alarm keeps going off every hour or so. I re-enrolled it as an IQ flood and I’m still having the problem. I switched from frontpoint and this sensor (GE interlogix) was working well with the previous version of the panel. Any additional ideas to try to see if we can get it fixed? Thanks!

What is the sensor make/model that you are referring to?

I looked at pictures and it seems to be a GE Security Interlogix NX-695 SAW Water Sensor

The NX-695 is listed as compatible with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ at FW 2.4 and above, which it looks like your panel meets those requirements.

I’m not seeing the sensor learned into your system anymore so I can’t confirm previous sensor settings.

It should be learned in as Sensor Type Water with the Sub-Type set to Other Flood.

How old are the batteries? Based on documentation, the NX-695 has a 3-5 year battery life requiring 2 x 1.5V AAA alkaline batteries.

Thanks Tyler, I had to delete it from the panel as it kept on alarming. I will add it again and switch the sensor type to other flood (it was previously IQ flood) and let you know how it goes. Batteries are in good shape, but I’ll change them out again just in case.

To confirm, the sensor is generating an alarm erroneously but you would like the sensor to generate an alarm in the event it detects water, not just a notification, correct?

Yes. It hasn’t alarmed since I re-added it as a flood sensor. My uninformed impression is that maybe it was treating the “softer” signals that the sensor sends periodically as alarms rather than as pings?

Its possible that the sensor did not learn in correctly initially. Let us know if the sensor generates alarms erroneously again.

Thanks! Will do

Hi audiostandard … wondering if the alula re118 is still working?

I have a Qolsys 4 and the flood sensor installs properly (set as “Other Flood”) but I get a flood alarm every 70-75 minutes.

Ready to return as I see they’re not on the compatible list, but Alula marks as Qolsys compatible.

Thanks.

From this list of devices that have been tested comaptible, the following water sensors are compatible with the IQ Panel 4 with 319.5 radio

• Qolsys IQ Flood-S QS5536-840 (encrypted)
  • DSC PowerG Flood Detector with Probe PG9985 (encrypted)
  • Qolsys IQ Flood QS5516-840 (legacy)
  • Ecolink Flood Detector TX-E611 (legacy)
  • Interlogix Wireless Flood Detector 60-744-95R, NX-695 (legacy)