Ecobee4 disconnected

After trying the T3000, I’ve gone back to our ecobee4 as of yesterday. This morning ADC threw this message. I’ve since tried removing the bee and re-adding but no luck. The bee was ok overnight. I suspect it’s something to do with the 2FA that ecobee requires, although when re-adding, it seemed to add ok, just not showing full connectivity.

“Malfunction (Ecobee) indicates that this device is unable to send signals to your security panel. Automation rules and commands to control this device may not work.”

The ecobee web and app show full connectivity. Beestat is good too.

Next steps to resolve?

Have you tried a reboot of that thermostat?

How long did you wait between deleting and readding? It is very odd to have a malfunction immediately register after adding the device to ADC

Have not tried a reboot - I’ll give that a shot & report back.

I waited until the device was gone from both the app and web.

A reboot didn’t help.

I’ll try a unlink. Wait longer, then re-link.

Unlinked, waited, re-linked. Web & app still report a malfunction. Interestingly enough though, I can change the mode from the android app:

• 3:41 PM
    Ecobee
    [Mobile] Command: Set Thermostat Mode to Off. (travlos)
  • 3:40 PM
    Ecobee
    Changed to auto mode

Very odd. I’m getting in contact with ADC’s automation team on this one. Seems to be a stuck status on the account, but just in case it is a mistranslation of status, have you tried new batteries?

Where do you mean? The ecobee is powered by the HVAC system.

The ecobee4 comes with a room sensor that uses battery power, correct? I am curious if something like that may be mistranslated through the API and causing this.

Yes, but I’ve configured ours to ignore the room sensor. I’ll try removing it completely to see if that clears the error.

I’ve unpaired the room sensor. No change. Shall I try another ecobee unlink/relink?

Yes, that was Alarm.com’s suggestion. However after that we are left with basically resetting the Ecobee and removing/readding thermostats on the account.

When activating it is odd that the status is immediately malfunction, which is why I expect this is actually something being passed by the ecobee API.

Over the weekend I’ll unlink/remove/reset everything related to the ecobee and report back.

Is there any chance that there’s something stuck in the account related to having installed/removed the T3000, something that ADC can reset on their side?

No, there is nothing related to the T3000 on the account.

Removed all connected apps from ecobee account, reset ecobee4. Cleared browser cache for all ecobee.com, alarm.com, and beestat.io cookies. Changed name of ecobee. Beestat connects no problem. I connected Google home and it connected correctly and can control the ecobee without issue.

Something interesting that may be a clue for ADC. After connecting google home, I’ve changed the name of the stat a couple times. Google home is able to track the name change correctly. ADC however still thinks the stat is named “Ecobee” which is the original name I used before trying out the T3000 and then switching back to the ecobee. Currently the stat is named “Thermostat”. Beestat and Google home both track the name correctly, but not ADC, even after removal and relinking. (btw, tried renaming to “Ecobee” but that didn’t help ADC reconnect. GH and beestat got new name though.)

It’s back online, just now. I’ve done nothing since my last post.

Back offline about 3 hours later.

I’m also seeing the same errors and behavior with my Ecobee thermostat on my alarm.com account starting a few days ago… seems to work via the Ecobee app as well. Removing and readding resulted in an immediate error as well. New batteries in my remote sensors didn’t help.

Thanks for adding this, it does sound like there may be an issue with the ecobee integration currently. I’ll let ADC know we are seeing the same issue on multiple accounts and will follow up here with info.

Removed all connected apps from ecobee account, reset ecobee4. Cleared browser cache for all ecobee.com, alarm.com, and beestat.io cookies. Changed name of ecobee. Beestat connects no problem. I connected Google home and it connected correctly and can control the ecobee without issue.

Thank you, this helps force the ball into ADC’s court. I think it is safe to say this is likely an issue on the back end, but I will follow up with any additional troubleshooting they recommend.

1 Like