"Dummy" zwave switch?

You wouldn’t be able to hide the switch in Alarm.com, it would need to be connected to the panel and account in order to create the rule.

You cannot create a rule to “toggle” the switch via a momentary button. You can only set it to turn “On” or turn “off” from a specified event.

If it is already on (because the Z-wave switch was controlled directly) and the physical rule switch (the video example) is in the “off” position already, it would just need to be flipped on, then off again.

If you need a true 3-Way switch, you can use a virtual 3-way switch setup. There are a couple options there, like the WT00Z-1, but the accessory switch would need line power, it wouldn’t need to be connected physically to the other switch, but it would need 120VAC.

interesting. So with the
WT00Z-1, does it control the actual load-baring zwave switch via a rule?

No, via Z-wave association. This is performed by the panel or a third party controller like the Aeotec Minimote.

You would need the switch and the accessory switch. So like the WS 15Z5-1, and the WT00Z5-1.

So, on the IQ2+, how would this be done?

Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Z-wave Devices > View/Edit Associations.

Perfect! Thank you

Jason, I finally set this up as you described: The Qolsys extended dw sensor, some wire, and a standard rocker-style light switch. My question is: how do I add the dw sensor to the panel so that it doesn’t trigger an alarm when the panel is armed? I did add it as an interior safety thing and have it a custom name “dummy switch” if you look at my setup. I just don’t know if I have it right even though it does absolutely work as I had hoped. Thank you.

how do I add the dw sensor to the panel so that it doesn’t trigger an alarm when the panel is armed?

Sensor Group 25. That sensor group is for chime/notification only and while it can still drive automation rules, it will never generate an alarm.

Looks like that is how you have it set already. Should be good!

Thank you

Hi Jason,
So today I installed the switch/dw sensor combo in the wall. After doing so, the switch now works only occasionally. The panel says the signal strength is “critical” at -94db. As the crow flies the distance between the sensor and the panel is about 50 feet. There’s no metal in the walls as far as I know; it’s all sheetrock.
How can I improve the signal? I imagine that the 319MHz Qolsys cares not for the zwave mesh that is existing inn my house and therefore needs something else. Is there a repeater available?

The sensor is not actually near any line voltage right? It is just a new gang box that is otherwise empty?

You can improve standard 319.5 signals with an RE524X. You would need to use the unencrypted signal source in panel programming for that sensor. (S-Line transmits both encrypted and unencrypted.)

Thank you. Yes, it’s in an empty box

Is this the correct device you’re suggesting?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alula-RE524X-Universal-Wireless-Translator-Simplifying-Resolution-Security/393080573934?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20191002094254%26meid%3Dffb8b16a032d4efba1f7583f83729893%26pid%3D100891%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D264229108745%26itm%3D393080573934%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DHoneywell&_trksid=p2332490.c100891.m5206

Yes, whoops I thought I added a link for that product. Here it is in our store.

That ebay price for it is very good, the only caveat would be to verify if it is new or not. Those have a feature where they can be locked to a certain frequency so they can’t be “taken over” and used with a new system.

If new, you should be fine.

Thank you Jason. A few more questions of I may:

• Qolsys is considered Interlogix for the purposes of configuring the repeater?
  • Can more than one of these devices be learned by the IQ2+ for the purposes of using sensors from multiple vendors?
    • Can I have two of these, one as a repeater and the other as a translator?
  • Sensors that I wish to “repeat” need to be cleared from the IQ2 panel and then learned again via the repeater?
  • The instructions weren’t clear to me on a point: how do I ensure that a particular sensor is learned into the IQ panel via the repeater, at a hopefully superior signal strength, as opposed to being learned by the IQ panel directly, but at
    a weak strength (the situation I have now)? I worry about the situation where the IQ might be presented with the same sensor from two signal paths, one direct and the other repeated.
  • What advantages are there for me as a DIY home user to cutting the lock jumper?
    Thank you Jason.

David

Qolsys is considered Interlogix for the purposes of configuring the repeater?

Yes, you’re selecting the frequency the repeater listens for and transmits. Interlogix/GE is 319.5.

Can I have two of these, one as a repeater and the other as a translator?

You can’t have two repeaters, but I think one translator and one repeater would work, although I wouldn’t recommend it if it isn’t absolutely needed. PowerG will cover more bases, have more innate range, and be more secure than another unencrypted RF.

Sensors that I wish to “repeat” need to be cleared from the IQ2 panel and then learned again via the repeater?

Just learned into the repeater. I don’t believe there is any need to delete them from the panel.

The instructions weren’t clear to me on a point: how do I ensure that a particular sensor is learned into the IQ panel via the repeater, at a hopefully superior signal strength, as opposed to being learned by the IQ panel directly, but at a weak strength (the situation I have now)?

You don’t, if it is learned into the repeater it will repeat that signal to the panel. The repeater is just broadcasting that signal again. If the panel doesn’t receive it from the sensor, it will get it from the sensor.

What advantages are there for me as a DIY home user to cutting the lock jumper?

None. They lock automatically after 30 days. (I hate this “feature” but it keeps it tamper proof.)

Can a wireless pendent be programmed to turn on several zwave light switches at once controlled by an IQ4 panel?

Can a single press of a menu selection on the IQ4 panel turn on several zwave light switches at once?

Can the ADC app navigate to a menu item that turns on several zwave switches at once?

You can create a scene to control whatever you like in a single press.

Yes, also via a scene or by selecting them all.

Thank you, Trex.

Yes, scenes would be the way to go. On the IQ Panel 4 they can be used on the panel, and you can do so fro your phone app or as a widget on the home screen.