Doors/Windows sensors IQ vs PowerG

I searched online and in this forum but couldn’t find any comparison.
My panel will be IQ2+, what are the differences between these two:

1. IQ Mini Door/Window Sensor
  2. PowerG Wireless Door/Window Sensor

From the specs, the IQ lasts 2 years more than PowerG but costs less ($19 vs $33), so I guess there are more variables here.

IQ Mini sensors are S-Line encrypted sensors operating on the 319.5MHz spectrum. They have an operating range of around 600 ft open air. The battery life on this particular sensor is 8 years but varies by use.

The PowerG sensors operate at 900 MHz frequency and use 128-bit AES encryption. They offer Multichannel, Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum technology which allows the transmission to hop between wireless frequency channels, allowing for enhanced encryption. They also have a much farther operating range of 2000 ft or so open air. Battery life on the PG9303 is about 6 years under normal use.

Thanks @tyler . That’s very helpful. Two more questions:

1. Can I mix and match? IQ sensors close to the panel, PowerG for the rest.
  2. I’m going to have a secondary IQ2 panel, if the IQ sensor is within 600ft from the secondary, should it be fine?
  1. Can I mix and match? IQ sensors close to the panel, PowerG for the rest.

If you are using the IQ PAnel 2+ with 319.5MHz radio, you can use both Qolsys S-Line sensors and PowerG

I’m going to have a secondary IQ2 panel, if the IQ sensor is within 600ft from the secondary, should it be fine?

To clarify, if using the IQ Panel 2+ , you cannot use a separate IQ PAnel 2 as an additional keypad. You must use the IQ Remote or the DSC PowerG wireless keypad.

In either case, sensors only connect/communicate with the main IQ Panel.

Keep in mind that the open air distance for each sensor will be diminished indoors. Local testing is always recommended before installing sensors to ensure proper communication.

@tyler , thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the IQ Remote Secondary Panel. I didn’t realize that it is just for display and can’t communicate with the sensors.

From your experience, in a normal house (with walls/kitchen/appliances) where I have sensors/detectors 1,800 feet from the main panel, are there any communication issues? assuming that I buy only PowerG, which has the greater range.

I have actually never seen an issue with sensors before but I’d go ahead but powerg if it was me

From your experience, in a normal house (with walls/kitchen/appliances) where I have sensors/detectors 1,800 feet from the main panel, are there any communication issues? assuming that I buy only PowerG, which has the greater range.

There is some confusion on distance measurements here. Sensor range is measured in linear feet. 1800 feet is 6 football fields.

Overall range is affected by attenuation. Manufacturer range statements are open air range, no walls or objects in between. Metal will have the biggest impact, then brick and stone.

In most cases you’re fine with either IQ S-Line or PowerG. PowerG has additional benefits displayed on the product pages, namely adaptive battery usage, and enhanced security, with spread spectrum frequency hopping tech in addition to encryption. They are objectively more secure.

@jason , you’re right! :slight_smile: I’m thinking in terms of sqft, but obviously it’s linear feet. If so, I’d say it’s not more than 60 feet and I probably should be fine.
Thanks for the help!

Yep, generally you’ll be fine with either. The extra PowerG range is really beneficial for commercial locations, very large homes, outbuildings, gates, sheds, etc., but sometimes you’ll run into signaling issues in select locations in the home and that added power can help. Attenuation from metal is going to be an impact on any wireless sensor.

1 Like