Doorbell (skybell) ADC-VDB105 picture problem

Alright, that’s beneficial to know it is at least connecting to the best AP. Weird that the signal is so low being so close by. Is there a lot of metal nearby the doorbell? Or is it a brick construction? Brick does a good job attenuating signals unfortunately.

Let me know if you see any improvement with the changes.

I’ll check with ADC on the new doorbell to see if there is any update.

@jwcsurety I did switch doorbell to another AP and no changes. I think it’s time to replace that bell. Let me know if you find out from adc on new bell release . Thank you

Alright. I will update this thread later today, I’m speaking with ADC later and should have an update this afternoon.

It sounds like we should be expecting the Doorbell before fall, but no official date yet. I would guess within a couple months.

Do you know anything about it? Improvements ? Changes ?

Wider range of view, removable battery, video analytics support have all been mentioned to be included but not much information in terms of specs, you can find a bit more information from this post here.

Also dual wifi antenna for better network connection.

Do you guys know if it’s going to be Skybell made ? Or someone else?

Alarm.com is actually making the new doorbell themselves. I’m not sure if it’s based on a Hikvision model like the rest of their cameras but it’s not by Skybell.

Well found my problem. Found water green corrosion under the battery on the circuit board. hope this new door bell is going to be out soon.

As far as I know it is in the later stages of testing so should be available relatively soon.

@jwcsurety Jason I found something interesting last night. As you recall I found water damage on my old door bell. Waiting for new design from alarm.com I found use unit on ebay for $30 so i purchase it to have something for now. I installed and found that picture went back to clear and everything was good until I upgrade firmware. Door bell came with 3050 and 3052 was available. Once I update firmware picture went to be a blur and just bad. So yes I had water damage but I think picture problem is in a firmware. Just an FYI let me know what you think

It is possible, I wonder if there is something in the firmware attempting to compensate for lighting changes/etc. that might affect the image.

I’ll let ADC know what you noticed. Is there any difference if you reorient the image? Try facing it in a different direction temporarily, any effect?

@jwcsurety Jason so like i stated in my post it was fine when it was on 3050 and now is back to blur with 3052. no changes when you stand in front or with different angle of the light. I compare my picture quality on the same object that was perfectly clear before 3052. hope that helps

Alright, I’m creating a ticket and seeing if ADC can recreate this. Will follow up with an update.

@jwcsurety thank you Jason!

If you lower the Image quality in Video Device Info do you notice a drop in quality? Try dropping it to the lowest setting.

So, we’re not able to replicate this, and going back through this thread your original doorbell wasn’t on 3052 when you reported this. It was on a previous firmware. Likely 3050. You updated the firmware during the course of troubleshooting.

I don’t think you are seeing firmware related causes here. 3052 only had changes regarding motion detection.

I know we have gone over this previously in the thread, but I have to point out again that this doorbell is currently reporting bad wireless connection quality.

Objectively, the signal quality above 90% is what we are looking for for best quality. Your Skybell is reporting 78-83%.

There is an absence of other potential causes that I can see. The upload speed you mentioned previously is well above what is required.

The wifi connection quality requirements on the Skybell are higher than other cams. This can catch users off guard and has been a point of frustration with Skybell models. Brick is very good at attenuating the signal.

The future ADC model is coming with dual antennae for better wifi connection.

One thing I would like to test is the visible quality difference between the three compression levels.

Can you submit an image for each showing highest settings, medium settings, and lowest settings?

@jwcsurety

As I stated few post back. I purchase a use one from ebay that was on 3050 we are not talking about same doorbell anylonger. BEFORE update to 3052 picture was perfect.

I know we are talking about two doorbells. The original, same concern also occurred on the previous version, 3050.

The thread was created on 7/5 about your prior Skybell about blurry image.

On 7/8 you then updated that to the latest firmware (3052) here.

Additionally, I simply cannot recreate this on 3052, at least comparing to the image you originally posted as an example.

Yes, if you can supply images from the Skybell which show high, medium, and low settings right now it might help identify what is going on.