Converting existing system to surety

What are my options for converting my current hardwired, landline-based alarm system to an ADC-compatible cellular-based system, and what factors should I consider in choosing from amongst the options?
Thanks

What the name of ur system if ur not sure u can post a pic of it

What kind of system do you have?

You can always use an IQ Panel and a hardwire takeover module but depending on your type of panel there may be other options.

How does IQ compare to 2gig?
Here’s a photo of the panel:

The Iq panel is a lot more user friendly it also offers features like Bluetooth disarming and taking disarm photos and live view which means u can view ur cameras or doorbell from the panel it also s line devices as well as PowerG I highly recommend that system plus it updates over the air so the system is always up to date

Unfortunately the photo is a little blurry and I am having a hard time reading the sticker that tells us the year and revision of that panel.

It looks like you have a First Alert 148 which may be useable as is with an Alarm.com SEM, but only on Revision 3.1 and higher on panels dated 2005 and newer.

Can you confirm the revision and date on the center sticker? Right above the “New E2” one in the image.

I would recommend upgrading to a new panel still, and just reusing the wired sensor components of the old system as suggested by Ryan above. The IQ Panel and a hardwire takeover module would be the best bet.

We feel that the IQ Panel 2+ is currently the best all-in-one system available for use with Alarm.com.

Seems like my panel is older than what you said would be required? What do you suggest?

Based on the image, your panel cannot be taken over by the Alarm.com System Enhancement Module described above. As such, replacement of the panel would be necessary.

However, you can still use the wired sensor components from your current system (as suggested by Ryan above.)

We recommend the IQ Panel 2+ and a hardwire takeover module .

Just to be clear, “panel” refers to the keypad is that right?

Currently there are multiple panels in the system. Once the takeover module is installed, could the old panels be removed and the wires going to the old panels spliced together? I assume the cellular communicator is in the IQ panel 2+ — are secondary panels available and if so are there any limitations to the placement of the primary and secondary panels?

There is secondary touch pads for the Iq panel the Iq panel 2 plus is an all in one system so u would replace where 1 of the keypads r and then replace the other keypads with secondary touchscreens and then ur takeover module would go right where ur main Panel is now where all the wires r

Just to be clear, “panel” refers to the keypad is that right?

In this case your panel or system as shown in the picture above, is too old to use the System Enhancement Module (or SEM).

In order to use service with Surety, a new Alarm.com compatible panel with a 4G LTE cellular module would be necessary.

The Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ is our recommendation. It acts as the main hub for the alarm system and the cellular module is installed inside the IQ panel 2+.

Once the takeover module is installed, could the old panels be removed and the wires going to the old panels spliced together?

The Qolsys Hardwire 16 would be mounted in the same place as your system in the picture above. This manual gives a rundown of what to expect when connecting the Hardwire 16.

The old equipment board could still be utilized as a charging circuit for the backup battery to be used with the Hardwire 16.

Old keypads that are currently in use could be removed.

are secondary panels available and if so are there any limitations to the placement of the primary and secondary panels?

The IQ Panel 2+ would be mounted wherever the cellular signal is best but typically they can be mounted where an existing keypad may have been. (although you will want to use the IQ panel’s included transformer for power).

Should extra keypads be necessary, the Qolsys IQ Remote secondary panel could be used with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+. These secondary panels connect to the main panel via Wi-Fi and would need to be mounted keeping signal strength in mind.

Thanks for the detailed explanations. If my current keypads are not near power outlets, is it possible to use the power source of the old keypads? Are the old keypads powered via hardwire to the can, or must there be a hardwired AC source at the keypads within the wall?

Since I have experience with 2gig gocontrol 2, could you compare and contrast the 2gig with the qolsys?

Thanks

If my current keypads are not near power outlets, is it possible to use the power source of the old keypads?

No, never use a different power source for a panel. Always be sure to use the included plug-in power supply.

You may be able to reuse the wiring and splice on the new power supply, but that would depend on the type of wire and distance.

Are the old keypads powered via hardwire to the can, or must there be a hardwired AC source at the keypads within the wall?

The old keypads would be powered off of an aux output in the old panel can.

Since I have experience with 2gig gocontrol 2, could you compare and contrast the 2gig with the qolsys?

They are similar in many ways. Both are all-in-one wireless systems with touchscreens. Both house all the radios and cellular communicator within the main panel.

The IQ Panel 2+ is a much more modern experience though, with a higher res 7-inch capacitive display. Better menu structure. Easier programming. Advanced Z-wave diagnostics on the panel. Stream Alarm.com video cameras to the screen. Answer doorbell camera calls on screen, etc.

What is the range of the wireless sensors compatible with the IQ panel, and can the range be extended if necessary?

Is the panel available with both Verizon and AT&T communicators?

With the standard IQ panel 2+ with the 319.5 legacy radio, S-line sensors and Power G are available, both with a better wireless range than 2GIG.

S-Line is about 600 feet open air, (almost twice 2GIG range) and Power G sensors have 2000-2400 feet open air (about 7 times 2GIG range).

These will not likely need extended but repeaters are available.

Yes, both Verizon and AT&T models of the panel are available. By default we ship Verizon models, but AT&T is available on request.

There are several wireless sensors in the current system, which replaced failed wired ones sometime in the past. Is it possible to either add these to the takeover module or enroll them directly with the IQ 2+, or do they need to be replaced?

How is the landline connected to the current system, and should this connection be removed when converting to the IQ?

Thanks

Can u take a photo of these wireless sensors

There are several wireless sensors in the current system, which replaced failed wired ones sometime in the past. Is it possible to either add these to the takeover module or enroll them directly with the IQ 2+, or do they need to be replaced?

Wireless sensors cannot be enrolled into the Hardwire 16, the HW16 is only for converting wired sensors to wireless.

The IQ Panel 2+ sold through Surety uses 319.5Mhz as the wireless communication protocol. It looks like the wireless sensors enrolled into your current system use the Honeywell 345MHz protocol which means that they could not be learned directly into the Qolsys panel.

How many wireless sensors are in use and what type of sensors are they?

How is the landline connected to the current system, and should this connection be removed when converting to the IQ?

The IQ Panel 2+ does not utilize landline. As such, the landline connection is not needed and could be removed form the current system if desired. It would have no bearing on the connection of the Qolsys panel however. It looks like Zones 21-24 on the old board are for the phone line.

There are currently two wireless sensors.

Will the HW16 accommodate the wired smoke detectors in the current system?

The Qolsys Hardwire 16-F (sold through Surety) accommodates up to 10 two-wire smoke detectors.