Cameras not recording to SVR

The issue is not likely overall network bandwidth, and individual cameras viewed on Alarm.com should work fine. The connection of those cameras in your app will be determined by your internet upload speed.

It’s not necessarily something else bogging down the LAN, the issue seems specifically that the CSVR itself is not receiving enough inbound bandwidth to it.

Ignore all other devices. The CSVR wired connection to the router is what I am thinking likely needs troubleshooting. It sounds like the Orbi is causing a bottleneck and all the cam streams at max settings is too much.

If you can lower the image quality on the cams and consistently get all the cams connected, that very strongly suggests a bottleneck.

Are you able to view bandwidth info by device within the router admin tools?

With Orbi you aren’t able to view by device, just overall. I kept just the devices mentioned before connected and set a 10 minute timer to see the upload/download numbers.
Upload: 48 Mbytes Download: 3.5 Mbytes

Unfortunately it sounds likely that something in the dynamic qos rules the Orbi is using is throttling bandwidth to the CSVR.

Do you have a different router you might be able to try temporarily as a separate network for the cams and CSVR?

I do, I have my old Asus AC2900. Still a decent router so this will give us a good indication I think. I will let you know when I get them all switched over.

So I got all the cameras and the CSVR on the Asus router directly off the modem and the same results. 3, sometimes 4 of the cameras are just black screen. I was hoping this was the solution but at least it shows its not the Orbi system. Any ideas where to go from here?

Well…darn it.

I did expect that to resolve the issue, but I guess something stranger (or maybe simpler) is going on. Still seems like the CSVR itself, maybe its network adapter is just malfunctioning. It is supposed to be a gigabit adapter and there should be no issue with all the feeds.

Let me talk with ADC on this and see what recommendations they have.

So I’m seeing something interesting now, and it doesn’t match the observation that all the cameras are connecting when recording quality is lowered, but there is something potentially going on.

It looks like you have five cameras disconnected from the CSVR at the moment.

Do you have everything set up back to how you had it before? I ask because 3 of the 5 cameras disconnected from the CSVR have a different subnet being reported than the rest.

The CSVR and the connected cams have a xxx.xxx.50.xxx Ip address. The three disconnected ones have xxx.xxx.1.xxx

The remaining 2 of those cameras that are disconnected from the CSVR are actually reporting disconnected completely from ADC. I can’t ping them at the moment.

I was in the middle of changing the cameras back and got pulled away from it then had a beach day with the family all day today. A couple of them didn’t switch when I hit apply the WiFi setting to all other cameras so I was going address those one by one with the WiFi setting. Good observation! If ADC has any feedback after you talk to them let me know. I would really like this to work properly. Wasn’t the cheapest of devices.

Thanks

In order to properly test with Alarm.com we’ll need to have all the cams on the same subnet.

Currently the problem that is occurring is 100% explained. I need to have the ADC product team actively see and investigate the issue with random cameras dropping from the CSVR despite being able to connect. They are in a condition where they can’t connect right now, and all the ones that can right now appear to be connected to it without issue.

Let me know when you get a chance to move all the cams back to the .50 subnet, and power cycle the two cams that are not responding right now.

It is likely that there is an issue with the CSVR and we will probably recommend warranty replacement, but the current circumstances are explained otherwise so ADC cannot effectively test.

Ok, So I finished putting all the cameras and svr on the .168 subnet (Orbi) since I had the same results on both routers and I would prefer not to have two wireless networks in the house. I factory reset the SVR and applied the recording setting on high to all the cameras. I have disconnected the Asus router completely to eliminate any interference issues that could arise.

immediately the same results.

At first or left alone for a day, all the cameras have an image but they are frozen. The second I click on one. It is a black screen and when I go back to the overview of all the cameras. Half of them are black.

Alright, thank you! Yep, I anticipated the issue to occur, just have to rule out the other possibilities so we can see this issue in action.

I’ll look at the camera settings and signal reports and work with Alarm.com!

Can you confirm which cameras are failing to connect right now? Names or channel numbers. The CSVR is reporting all streams connected, so we need to investigate the individual cameras that are not showing up on screen.

Much appreciated!

Just a side note. I am off my network with my phone and all cameras are producing good quality images.

Sorry I stepped out for a few minutes. I’ll be back home in 20 min and I’ll give you the channel names, numbers, and types of cameras so you can give all that info to them.

I can reference the camera models, ips, etc. if we know the names of the cameras not connecting.

-Living Room (ADC-V723)
-TV (ADC-V523)
-Kitchen 1 (ADC-V723) Not Working
-Kitchen 2 (ADC-V522)
-Bedroom (ADC-V523) Not Working
-Emily Bedroom (ADC-V522)
-Blake Bedroom (ADC-V723) Not Working
-Basement 1 (ADC-V723) Not Working
-Basement 2 (ADC-V522)
-Garage (ADC-V723) Not Working
-Shed (ADC-V522)

Do you need the SVR Channel numbers associated with each name?

Alright, thank you for providing that. I’ve had a conversation with ADC and they agree that it simply looks like the CSVR port is throttled and not receiving adequate bandwidth.

Based on all the prior troubleshooting this is likely a defective network adapter on the CSVR. It should be replaced under warranty.

Please contact the original vendor for warranty instructions. You can use the following Alarm.com Ticket ID so the vendor knows this was the recommended course from ADC. 2653659

Ok thanks, I just sent them an email with all the information. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the help along the way!

Not a problem, let us know how the replacement goes. These are built to handle 16 channels of highest quality recordings so it should work as expected.