Advice on PoE camera setup

Just in case, I’m not referring to ISP stated speeds, these are variable and the actual speeds of your connection will fluctuate.

Is ~ 20 mbps upload speed the current observable speed?

Yes sir. I have been testing my speeds throughout the difficulties that I’ve had and they always remain fairly consistent. I know that’s ironic to hear but I actually have pretty good Internet at my house.

And what’s even more weird or maybe make sense to you is that I had to leave the house now so I am on cell service but when I look at the live feed of my Wi-Fi camera, I believe it’s a 523, the feed is playing as it should. Weird? I’m just giving you all the info I experience to try to help.

@jwcsurety Just to continue to add info as I test things. Wi-Fi cameras like my ADC 770, V723 and V622, seem to stream live video fine whether on my home network or remote. Video playback from saved video from these camera do also suffer from the same issues at times as the other cameras such a laggy and glitchy. There is no rhyme or reason to when the saved video playback acts up. I can literally play a saved video and it will play fine. If I playback that same video a few seconds later, it will not play correctly. It’s very strange.

In summary as I write this, the above mentioned Wi-Fi camera are playing live video correctly but all my POE cameras are very laggy and glitchy.

I’m sure you know what I mean when I used those terms but I can email you a screen recording of my iPhone to show what I mean

I’ve been trying to recreate this but I haven’t been successful. A screen recording would be very helpful actually if you are able to send one.

support@suretyhome.com

Just sent. Watch the tall landscape grass on the side of the driveway or my neighbors flag across the street. Notice the “glitchy” video.

Thanks. Are you able to force that phone onto 4G LTE instead of 5G as a test? Any difference?

I was able to force but no change.

Now I am currently away from home but this video behavior between my Wi-Fi cameras and POE cameras occurs on my apple MacBook as well when at home on Wi-Fi.

I just don’t know what else to troubleshoot. I generally know my way around networks and technology.

I’m terms of my POE cams, I have one using an inverter and two connected to a POE switch. Obviously all cams eventually connect back to router via Ethernet. Not sure if there is anything I can troubleshoot on the Ethernet side of the problem?

Now I am currently away from home but this video behavior between my Wi-Fi cameras and POE cameras occurs on my apple MacBook as well when at home on Wi-Fi.

Ok, so that I can accurately describe this in a follow up call to ADC and make sure not to confuse the issue, you have:

Group A (WIFI): VDB523, V522IR, V622, V722W
Group B (POE): VC736, 2x VC726

and this issue happens when:

1. Group A (WIFI) during saved playback on device connected to cellular or LAN.
  2. Group B (POE) during saved playback on device connected to cellular or LAN.
  3. Group B (POE) during live view on a device connected to LAN (only when SVR is connected)
  4. Group B (POE) during live view on a device connected to cellular (regardless of SVR).

If I have any part of that wrong please correct me. I just want to be as specific as possible with ADC support.

There is no rhyme or reason to when the saved video playback acts up. I can literally play a saved video and it will play fine. If I playback that same video a few seconds later, it will not play correctly.

This part makes it tougher. When an issue is intermittent, it tends to suggest bandwidth or some sort of interference, but Live View and saved clips playback have different origins.

I apologize if it was asked before, I am not seeing it, what is the model of router you are using?

Is there any pattern at all to when playback functions as expected? Does it typically work when first viewing a clip, but subsequent attempts fail?

I think you may have mixed up model numbers(maybe Im wrong) but as listed in my account:
My wifi cameras are:
VDB770, V523, V523IR, V622WELL, and V722W are the wifi cameras.
You are correct on the POE cameras I have.

Issues 1-4 are correct as you have stated. In addition, it seems even with the relatively low cellular speeds at my house, the WIFI cameras perform normally while on cellular.

I have not be able to determine ANY pattern to the playback of SAVED video. It is so random and frustrating. I have run speed test immediately before playback while on my LAN and I get 400/20. On cellular at my house it seems to vary but on average i will say it is 10/1-2. ATT is not good at my house. In the past I do not remember it being that slow, but who knows. Does what type of cellular module in my IQ panel have anything to do with this? At my work ATT is much better and solid and it is 100/15 and playback of saved video is still not stable.

My equipment is as follows:
Spectrum broadband Internet 400/20 modem connected to

Asus ZenWiFi AX(wifi6) (tri-band)Mesh network-main router in basement connected via wifi to 2nd node upstairs. Connection is very stable and I pull almost 400/20 in entire house.

Asus router connected to TP-Link TL-SG108 | 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch in basement
(V736 connected to TP-LINK 802.3af Gigabit PoE Injector, then to switch)

TP-Link TL-SG1005P 5 port Unmanaged POE switch connected to TP Link switch in basement
(Both V726 connected to POE switch)

If I left anything out or confused you, just ask.

Thanks again!

I think you may have mixed up model numbers

I see, yeah originally I was going to add the VDB770, but I left it out of the description because it doesn’t connect to SVR. Got merged with the 522IR when I typed it out.

Ok. Up front I will say that a Mesh network throws red flags. The usual issue with mesh routers is that they tend to shuffle devices between bands and access points, sometimes frequently, and that causes problems with connectivity, connecting to weaker signal or interrupting LAN connection to SVR.

However, those problems would be expected on the Wifi cameras, on Live view. I would expect the POE cameras to be unaffected.

What you are describing is essentially the opposite of what I would expect.

I am going to push this info to ADC and see if we can come up with some troubleshooting steps or if they can identify an issue. I think we have plenty of info here.

Thank you. I agree with your assessment that mesh networks often cause problem with Wi-Fi devices but as you stated I am experiencing issues with POE devices.

I just connected to cellular in my house(10/1 speed)and walked around in front of all my Wi-Fi cameras and the live stream played as it should. When I pulled up the streams of the POE devices, they were all choppy. When I connected to my home LAN, all live streams played correctly. All of this was done with the SVR not connected to the network. When I connected the SVR to the network,(plugged directly into router) and I was still connected to cellular, the Wi-Fi cameras still all continued to play live video normally. The POE cameras were choppy. With SVR connected and I was connected to LAN(400/20), surprisingly (wait for it)the POE cameras all played live video correctly.

Overall, ironically I never seem to have any issues with any of the Wi-Fi cameras in almost any situation.

The mystery continues.

Also I believe there are memory cards in the 726 cameras if that matters. I can of course take those out if needed.

Sweet. Did they mention soon is like hours or days. Just curious.

FYI that issue with the Recording Rules page should be cleared up at this time.

FYI that issue with the Recording Rules page should be cleared up at this time.
[/quote]

@jwcsurety
Thanks for the update. I checked my account and it functions as it should. This seemed to be the easier of my two problems. Lol

Should I remove the memory cards from those two POE cameras I mentioned?

Should I remove the memory cards from those two POE cameras I mentioned?

I wouldn’t suspect that to have an effect, but it wouldn’t hurt to test. Any difference if you do?

OK, I pulled out the memory card from each of the cameras and no change in camera behavior. They are still choppy. Even now while I am home on my LAN.

With that said, I removed one of the cameras from the outside of my house because I am going to put it in a different location. When I did that, I took it down to the basement and connected it to my router using a 6 foot ethernet cable with the power inverter. The camera seem to function normally in terms of how it handled motion Of course I can’t move as quick as the grasses u saw in my front yard but when I moved in front of the camera as fast as I could I did not see any choppy video.

The reason I mention that is because One of my POE cameras is connected to my router via a 100 Ft Ethernet cable-POE inverter-3 ft cable-router and the other POE camera connects via 25ft cable to POE switch, then 100 ft cable to router.

I was just thinking and saw a common denominator of the two cameras that are still choppy as a long ethernet run to the router, 100ft.

Anything to be concerned about here? I thought ethernet could go out to 300 foot or so?

Yeah, that should be ok for POE range but that’s a good call out and something to look into. It could be coincidental, but if you test thoroughly and a shorter cable run or different cabling has an effect I would start looking into the cable itself.

Did you use pre-cut and pre-terminated cables or did you run cabling from a spool and terminate the ends?

In either case, what are the specs? Are they Cat5/Cat6? 24AWG? 26AWG?

All of the cabling is pre-cut and pre-terminated from mono price or Amazon. The cables for all the connections run from cat 5 to cat 7. One of the hundred foot cables is a direct burial cat 7 26 AWG. The other hundred foot cable is a cat six flat cable.