Advice on PoE camera setup

Good morning,

I have 3 cameras I am installing. I currently have an ethernet camera that runs into the attic space above my garage. There is an outlet in that attic space as well. If I want to supply PoE to all three of those cameras, which will be placed within 50-75 ft of that attic space, can I connect that ethernet cable thats in the attic space to a PoE switch, plug the switch into the outlet, and then plug three Ethernet cables into the switch and run the cables to each camera(3) at their desired locations? Is there a more effective way? Thanks!

Yes, that sounds like a good plan for it. The thing to consider is the placement of the switch. If the switch is going to be left in the attic, it’s likely to be exposed to extreme temperatures depending on your location. You can find industrial models of switches online which are much better suited for that kind of environment. They are more expensive but I usually find that it’s worth it.

Another option is mounting the switch on the top shelf of a closet and running the cables and power back up into the attic.

@jwcsurety Thanks for the info…i guess i should have specified a little more about the “attic” space…Its actually just some “dead space” above the garage which does not get extremely hot or cold so I think I will be ok with equipment up there. On a sort of related note, I just installed a SVR and cannot for the life of me find out how to remove cameras that I associated with the SVR. For example if I want to add or remove cameras from the SVR for whatever reason. Can you advise? Thanks.

For example if I want to add or remove cameras from the SVR for whatever reason. Can you advise? Thanks.

Well normally this would be done under Video > Recording Rules > Local. However it looks like your local rules are not populating and may be bugged. I am sending this to ADC to resolve.

I actually forgot to ask you about why I was running into that error message under local recordings. Glad you were able to see what was causing it. What does “bug”mean. Have you seen this before and is it an easy fix?

I’ve seen this particular error on a handful of accounts on various pages. I’ve seen it on the automation Rules page, the Schedules page, the Users page, and now the Local Recordings page. It seems like a data validation issue with the latest website update.

ADC engineers need to resolve.

Gotcha. Thanks again for being on top of this. I very much appreciate it.

I spoke with ADC and the support rep said that the engineering team just confirmed to them that this is a known general issue they are working on. Should be resolved soon without any necessary troubleshooting.

Sweet. Did they mention soon is like hours or days. Just curious.

There is no mention of an ETA. It took a few days the first time I requested this resolved for another account (addressing it on an account basis). Now that it is a known general issue I am not sure how long the preventative general fix will be for the underlying issue.

I would guess by Friday we should hear something.

@jwcsurety …OK thanks… Another thing I forgot to mention about the SVR…bare with me on my explanation…but all my POE cameras work as intended with the SVR not connected to the network…What I mean is the video is not “laggy” or “jittery” Its nice and smooth. However, when the SVR is connected to the network, the cameras live video is glitchy and stutters. Does that make sense. I have troubleshooted all the normal things like reset router, modem, cables etc…I know its the SVR causing the issue because when I am viewing the live feed for my PoE cameras on my phone or laptop with the SVR disconnected, the video is nice and smooth, but as I am still watching the video and connect the SVR, as the SVR boots and then green lights on the back come on as each camera connects, the video for that particular camera starts to have issues and begins to stutter and by lagging. Make sense?

If you disable wifi and put your phone on cellular data only and try the same test is there any difference?

Ill try that now…I just made an edit to my post because I mixed a few words up, but you seem to understand what i was saying…give me a minute to test.

@jwcsurety ok. I’m on att and only pulling 4-5 Mbps but with Wi-Fi off and the SVR NOT plugged in the live video feed is glitchy and laggy.

So, similar to your other thread here, does this happen on other phone models which are not using iOS 15?

Unfortunately we all have iPhones running iOS 15. Sorry

I assume you are just gathering info from me to help narrows things down but my other thread was more concerned about playback after it was recorded rather than this current issue with the live feed when the SVR is connected to the network. Just making that clear in case I wasn’t clear in my description.

Right, I am trying to gather as much info as possible. The description is similar and you stated:

ok. I’m on att and only pulling 4-5 Mbps but with Wi-Fi off and the SVR NOT plugged in the live video feed is glitchy and laggy.

So, on cellular, live view has an issue.
On cellular, saved video has an issue.
On wifi with SVR plugged in, live view an issue.

Is the symptom more or less the same in each of these instances?

Forgive me if we asked this before, what is the upload speed of your home internet connection if you test it right now?

Also, while on Wi-Fi playback has issues. Symptoms are the same in all the areas you identified. Video is glitchy and laggy

I am 450/20 on The Internet speed