ADC T2000 cannot be setup for two stage HP

I have an electric Heat Pump with two stage heat, and emergency heat.

Current Tstat:
Cool stage 1 Y,G
Heat Stage 1 Y,G,O/B
Heat Stage 2 (Aux heat) Y,G,W,O/B
EM heat W

When I wire the T2000, and test heat, instead of using Y for heat stage 1, it calls for Aux heat (heat strips). When I try to wire W to W2, I of course get an error.

I also what to know if there is a way to configure the T2000 to NOT call for second stage heat at all unless outside temp is below a certain threshold, or a set time period has elapsed.

My question is, how do wire/configure it properly? I cannot have it run aux heat every time it calls for first stage heat

Y=Y
R=RH
G=G
O=O
C=C
W=W

T2000

CURRENT Tstat:

I seem to also be missing two tabs under the “advanced configuration” settings (Advanced and Installer)…

Those two tabs you mention have additional settings. You say you have two stage heat pump plus aux? Your thermostat is currently set up for single stage heat pump it looks like. I can make the change for you to test.

Can you enable those two missing config tabs?

You say you have two stage heat pump plus aux?

No. I do not have two stages plus AUX (unless you mean “Emergency” instead of Aux (stage 1, stage 2 Aux, Em), then the answer would be yes… Im emergency heating on W outside heatpump unit is shutdown, while in stage 2 aux, outside HP and inside strips both run. My understanding is that the T2000 doesn’t support Emergency heat, but only Aux.

First stage cooling and heating is Y
my second stage (W) is my Aux/Emergency Heat

Cool stage 1 Y,G
Heat Stage 1 Y,G,O
Heat Stage 2 (Aux heat) Y,G,W,O
Emergency Heat W

Heat pump staging should be configurable via the panel/user interface itself. Someone is gonna get really pissed that this isn’t a user configurable option, and if say tstat device is later reset/re-added, and this defaults back to single stage heat, and runs AUX/EM heat as stage 1 heating you are talking up to $1,000+ heating bill…

Am I the only one who sees the problem with this setup?

I’ve been talking with Alarm.com about enabling those tabs. I think they are intended to be enabled.

I’m not personally an HVAC expert, but technically, if I recall correctly, Emergency heat really isn’t a thing with modern thermostats and is labeled as Aux. Any emergency function on the Tstat would just run Aux (what you are calling EM heat) instead of the other stages.

The actual interface on the T2000 locally is pretty minimal, a bit easier to test on a CT100. I’ll do some digging to verify my assumptions here and get back. In the meantime, can you test it shortly and see how heat is running?

Testing

There also should be some kind of alert/notification when this tstat kicks into stage 2 aux heat… most tstat’s show “Aux On”…

So far my opinion of this T2000 is that it kinda sucks.

My “non-smart” 7day programmable tstat will probably save me more money every month than this smart tstat (since mine doesn’t kick in Aux prematurely, or try to default aux heat as single stage 1 upon initial setup)

What is the documentation on Aux?

How many degrees for step up for aux to automatically kick in? 2°F? 3°F?

Time duration for stage 1 heat to go stage 2 (20min?) how to adjust this for both outside temp and time? It is more cost effective to let stage 1 heat run longer if outside temp is above a certain threshold.

Stage 1 needs to run longer than 20min before kicking in the very expensive stage 2 aux heat.

It is gonna suck just knowing I have to constantly watch this thing this fall/winter to make sure the config doesn’t get reset/changed on backend causing it to default back to single stage heat for Aux heat, and run Aux at all times… unless ADC is gonna reimburse me $500 for my electric bill because their tstat ran aux heat strips as stage 1 heat…

I think I will keep my old tstat handy just in case.

It is gonna suck just knowing I have to constantly watch this thing this fall/winter to make sure the config doesn’t get reset/changed on backend causing it to default back to single stage heat for Aux heat, and run Aux at all times… unless ADC is gonna reimburse me $500 for my electric bill because their tstat ran aux heat strips as stage 1 heat…

Does that mean it is working now?

It seems to be, other than the fact it unnecessarily kicked in Aux heat for a 2°F bump up (on the last 1°F or less) after 20min.

Please in detail tell me what changes you made and where so that when I reset or otherwise re add the tstat in future for whatever reason, I can get it resolved asap.

Did you see the post above when I asked what the second stage Aux heat settings are defaulted to? And whether or not that can be tweaked via backend (User controls on tstat, panel and alarm.com UI suck and are very limited)

In particular:

1. Stage 1 to stage 2 aux seems to kick in after 20 min? Can that be changed? Or disabled dependent on outside temps?
  2. What is the automatic stage 2 aux heat call? (e.g., usually setting tstat more than 2°F above current, automatically triggers stage 2 aux heat)

Yes, differentials, delays, etc. can all be controlled via the Advanced tab under Advanced config. I am working with ADC to find out why you are not seeing it. You are only seeing the “User” tab, correct? With Swing setting, etc.?

And I set it for 2 Stage. That’s it.

You are only seeing the “User” tab, correct? With Swing setting, etc.?

Yes. The other two are there for a split second, then page refreshes and they are gone. Is my tstat firmware up to date and current?

video illustrating issue

Jason,

is there another way to view the Advanced & Installer tabs (can you show screenshots of what the defaults look like), and can I have changes made via backend like you did when you set it from single stage HP to 2 stage HP?

FYI, I only see the “User” tab in my ADC backend for thermostats as well.

FYI, I only see the “User” tab in my ADC backend for thermostats as well

Sounds like an unintentional glitch, or a access feature that may need to be enabled by dealer/provider. You can’t properly configure advanced settings without those tabs…

Does anyone (DIY’er) actually have access?

Seems that way :slight_smile:

I do not believe anyone will have access. It seems to be hidden content. We were informed a while ago these should be viewable, but it appears they are intentionally or unintentionally hidden. I am checking with ADC which is true and getting a resolution.

I do not believe anyone will have access.

Well that sucks, this is basically just a glorified 7day programmable (online only) tstat with limited config capabilities if Advanced settings are not User accessible.

So, if one wants to decrease/increase the time for stage 2 to kick on, or set tstat to base stage 2 heat according to outside temps (e.g., if outside temps are above 50-60°F, increase Stage 2 delay to 30min, else delay is 15-20min for stage 2)… we have to contact support to have the config changes made?

For me it isnt too big of a deal, as my HP is only twice as efficient as the inside forced air aux heat strips… but for others where their HP is more than 3 times efficient… they may want to let the stage 1 run longer

Another thing is why doesn’t the temp display stay on if tstat is on C wire?

I get you want it to power conserve on batteries, but not on AC. It is driving me nuts to have to get up all the time just to see current room temp… from 8’ away!

Am I just missing it? Is there a way to keep ° displayed?

We will update this thread when the tabs are accessible. I believe the display time-out is hard coded and can’t be changed.

Can you look at the default differentials on yours and tell us what they are (preferably for heat pump configs) time delay for stage 1 to go stage 2 heat, and degree bump up (above current setpoint) for stage 2 to automatically activate (e.g., manually setting tstat 2 degrees or more above the current temp).

Also, are there any settings for allowing the stage 2 heat to be delayed dependent on outside temps? (e.g., if outside tempts are above 60°F, increase delay period)