2gig to qolsys?

I emailed qolsys and they also said they don’t know when the firmware update will come out.

Is the power g translator otherwise the same as the hardwire 16 in terms of functionality and setup? Does it completely replace the legacy grid like the hardwire 16? Could two of the power g translators be installed in the legacy can if 16 zones are desired?

Any reason the panel couldn’t be plugged into and mounted over a recessed receptacle? Would the hole required to accommodate the receptacle and extra wiring leave enough wall to mount the panel over the hole?

Is the power g translator otherwise the same as the hardwire 16 in terms of functionality and setup?

Are you referring to the DSC hardwire takeover module? Looking at the installation manual, the wiring process looks similar but since it is not compatible yet, I could not tell you if the process is the same with regards to panel pairing and functionality. Its likely quite similar as the concept is largely the same.

Any reason the panel couldn’t be plugged into and mounted over a recessed receptacle? Would the hole required to accommodate the receptacle and extra wiring leave enough wall to mount the panel over the hole?

That should work, although you will want to mind the antenna tail so that it doesn’t rest up against the wiring or any metal (which will affect the signal).

Keep in mind the panel is 5" in height, so if your’e mounting it directly over the receptacle, you’d want to make sure the panel covers the whole hole and sits flush with the wall.

Can the panel be hardwired to a live wire?

No, the included transformer should be used for power applications. Doing anything else may void warranty and/or cause damage to the panel.

With the release of 2.5.3 do you have an ETA for when you’ll start stocking the PG9WLSHW8? Is this translator functionally equivalent to the hardwire 16 in terms of installation, setup, etc?

I do not have an ETA yet, but I would imagine soon.

It is functionally similar but has some added capability, including support for 4-wire smokes and 4-wire CO circuits.

Ok thanks

Have you guys had any experience yet, or heard of any experiences, good or bad, with the PG9WLSHW8? I’m wondering how it will compare with the hardwire 16 in real world experience considering both the hardware and firmware are new.

No, I’ve not installed one yet, but as soon as I do I’ll be happy to do a comparison .

Sounds good thanks

Regarding the PG9WLSHW8 - does it completely replace the legacy grid like the hardwire 16? Or does it connect to and get powered off a legacy grid like other translators?

It appears to come only in a small enclosure, with no large enclosure option, like the hardwire 16. Is it meant to be mounted within the legacy can, or on its own after first removing the legacy grid and can?

What’s a 4 wire smoke vs 2 wire?

The PowerG wired to wireless translator is similar to the HW16 in that it doesnt need the existing wired alarm panel for power.

You would not want to mount this in the can as it is transmitting a wireless signal, putting it in a metal box can reduce the signal strength. I dont think it would fit in the can anyway.

Regarding 4 and 2wire smokes, the biggest difference would be 4 wire smokes have their data connection across 2 wires and power across the other 2.

got it. so to install, i should remove the old can and panel completely, and mount the PowerG translator in its place?

You can or you can mount it nearby, its up to you. It does have a power adaptor that is mounted near it as well. The power adapter gets plugged into the wall and is wired to the PCB of the PowerG takeover. You can refer to the manual for more information.

my current translator (RE108) has 4.7 kohm resistors - do i leave these in place when changing over to the power G translator?

before installing and setting up my new panel, do i need to do anything with the old panel? i assume no since i’m not reusing any sensors?

Please read the linked manual for additional info on resistance. 1-10kohms are required, so you can leave the 4.7 kohm resistors in place.

Your old panel can simply be powered down when switching.

the RE108 has two terminals for each zone. it appears from the manual that the PG9WLSHW8 has zones arranged in pairs with a “com” terminal in between. to wire zones on the PG9WLSHW8, do i place one end of a given zone’s circuit in the numbered zone terminal and the other in the “com”, so that each “com” terminal will have two wires?

on my current legacy board, there is:

1. a wire labeled “office siren” with the black wire attached to OUT2 and red wire to OUT1 on the legacy board
  2. a wire labeled “ext bell” with the black wire attached to GND and red to OUT1
  3. an unlabeled red wire with a yellow stripe with the black wire connected to OUT2 and red to 12V

i don’t currently have any devices corresponding to “office siren” or “ext bell” - i assume these were used in the system sometime in the past and can just be left disconnected when i replace the current translator with the PG9WLSHW8?

any idea what the unlabeled red wire with yellow stripe might be?

my current wired motions are connected to the legacy board black wire to GND and red to 12V - which do i connect to AUX+ and AUX-, respectively, on the PG9WLSHW8?

the RE108 has two terminals for each zone. it appears from the manual that the PG9WLSHW8 has zones arranged in pairs with a “com” terminal in between. to wire zones on the PG9WLSHW8, do i place one end of a given zone’s circuit in the numbered zone terminal and the other in the “com”, so that each “com” terminal will have two wires?

Yes. No polarity, but generally installers use the same color convention for all zones.

i don’t currently have any devices corresponding to “office siren” or “ext bell” - i assume these were used in the system sometime in the past and can just be left disconnected when i replace the current translator with the PG9WLSHW8?

Yes.

any idea what the unlabeled red wire with yellow stripe might be?

No. I could not tell you what that is, would need to find it locally. Might be a relay or speaker driver.

my current wired motions are connected to the legacy board black wire to GND and red to 12V - which do i connect to AUX+ and AUX-, respectively, on the PG9WLSHW8?

12V is the positive side of the DC power and moves to Aux+. GND moves to Aux-

any advice for choosing among the different backup batteries out there for the PG9WLSHW8? or are they all comparable in quality?