ZWave Light and 2gig panel

I currently have 5 zwave switches paired with my 2gig panel. I wanted to add a 6th to my backyard shed so I can schedule the lights. In order to add it, I had to remove the 2gig panel from the kitchen and take it outside to add the device. (I did call and put the alarm in TEST MODE) That went ok. I then remounted the panel, then logged on and was able to add it to the schedule and even could turn the shed lights on and off via my phone app. About 2 hours later I noticed the 2gig control panel had an error. It was missing the ZWAVE switch in the shed. I did a REDISCOVER NETWORK and it is wanting me to remove the device. And the Alarm app tells me the device is in MALFUNCTION. But I can still turn lights on and off via the app. Just now I looked and the error has gone away and the device seems to function ok. I am guessing the issue is a result of distance. The shed switch is about 90 feet from the backdoor switch. SHould I look at adding a repeater or is there anyway I can disable the error message? I really like being able to cut on lights via the rules…All help is appreciated.

I am guessing the issue is a result of distance. The shed switch is about 90 feet from the backdoor switch

I am actually surprised this is working at all. 90 feet can be an ocean of distance when it comes to Z-wave, but if it is mostly open air, that would help a lot. If you can put a repeating node closer, I would recommend that, as yes this is almost certainly an issue of distance. You can only clear errors by solving the underlying problem.

Thanks so much for the response. What type of repeater do you recommend? Also, what is the range? I could mount something on the garage, which will be approx 65 feet from the shed. Again, thanks for response.

Any Line power Z-wave plug in or wired switch will provide repeating capability. An appliance switch or aeon labs repeater is good for this purpose.

65 feet is still pushing it a bit, but again if mostly (or even more so than the other switch) open air between the two, this might work for you

What is the approx range of a aeon labs repeater?

With a mesh network of rf signals, there is really no way to give a definitive range.

Manufacturer’s range listings are typically 200+ feet. But this is measured open air (entirely, no walls between) and is not in any way a reasonable expectation of real world function. I hate to even state manufacturer’s max range measurements here because they are so off from what a typical installation will see.

Any beaming repeater, including Appliance modules and the Aeon Labs repeater, should be able to bridge 65 feet mostly open air. If the walls are metal or they are installed close to a lot of metal, then it may not work, so I would keep it back away from any metal garage doors.

The outlet box on the shed that contains the switch is metal. SHould I put it in a plastic box? Also, will the RE524X give me more distance than the AEON Labs repeater?

A plastic gang box may indeed help (and can only help signal related things).

The RE524x is only for sensor signal frequencies and does not use a z-wave radio. It would not help in this case.