Zwave customization

It’s been a while since I asked about this so I thought I’d ask for an update now that it looks like there is a new firmware for the panel. I updated mine about a year ago so I may actually be 2 versions behind. One of the things that’s keeping me stuck with using both the Qol/ADC and Vera is that I can’t access all the setting on the Qolsys panel that I can through the Vera. For instance, on the GE light switches there is a blue light that by default is ON when the light is OFF, sort of as a beacon so you can find it in the dark. However, if you have these switches right next to your bedside you don’t want that blue light on while you’re tying to sleep. There is an option to reverse the way the light functions so it is on with the light instead. I am able to set these parameters in Vera but I have not been able to access those parameters via the panel or ADC as of yet, but i’m wondering if the firmware update might hopefully resolve this, and if the status reporting of lights is better with the newer firmware as well.

There are other parameters that can be customized but this is the most pressing one for me.

from the manual:

LED Light When shipped from the factory, the LED is set to turn ON when the connected light is turned OFF. This is the default setting and can be changed if your primary controller supports the node configuration function. To make the LED turn ON when the light is turned ON, change parameter 3’s value to “1”. To turn the LED OFF at all times, change parameter 3’s value to 2.

Parameter No: 3
Length: 1 Byte
Valid Values = 0, 1 or 2 (default 0)

-Jeremy

i’m wondering if the firmware update might hopefully resolve this, and if the status reporting of lights is better with the newer firmware as well.

Editing advanced parameters is not currently possible, no. Light status however is a feature for up to 10 switches with the newest firmware, as is secondary panel interaction.

Thanks, do you know if that is in the works at all? Is it available in the 2gig panel?

Do you know why there is a 10 switch limit?

When you say secondary panel, do you mean additional alarm panels or are you referring more to primary/secondary Zwave controllers?

-Jeremy

Thanks, do you know if that is in the works at all? Is it available in the 2gig panel?

Are you referring to advanced parameter changes? I would not anticipate this. No, it is not an option in any panel I am aware of. Using a Primary-secondary controller is probably the best bet here.

Do you know why there is a 10 switch limit?

Because this is a work-around for the Lutron Patent which makes it so switches cannot report when they are manually flipped. Alarm.com sends a rule to compatible panels to poll (I believe every 10 seconds) those switches for their current status and any change is then reported to ADC. I presume 10 is the tested amount which did not tax the compatible systems and impact other processing.

When you say secondary panel, do you mean additional alarm panels or are you referring more to primary/secondary Zwave controllers?

Primary/Secondary Z-wave.

As of 1.6.1 Qolsys can be set as a secondary controller.

Are there any updates on this and the IQ2 plus supporting Z-Wave parameters?

Is the Vera still the best option?
How do I add the Vera as a Z-Wave controller and sync it with the IQ 2 Plus?

Z-Wave parameters as described above cannot be altered through programming on the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+

This Guide covers how to make an IQ Panel2+ as a secondary panel to a ST Hub. The process will be quite similar to the steps necessary for pairing with a Vera.

Awesome! Thank you for that guide, its very helpful.

To clarify:
When adding additional new Z-Wave devices to the Smartthings hub in the future, do I need to repeat the secondary hub enrollment process, or will they automatically show up on the IQ 2?

Example: In one month I want to add a new Z-Wave light switch into the mix.

This is dependent on the primary hub, but typically yes, it should pass new device info to secondary controllers. If it doesn’t there may be an option in the Primary controller to push the device list to secondary controllers.