Zigbee

I know the 2GIG control panel currently only communicates with z-wave devices, but has anyone heard of possible ZigBee connectivity in the future (or a ZigBee to z-wave bridge). I’m in an area that has a smart grid with our local electrical company, and we have a ZigBee thermostat that talks to the grid. It would be great to have a thermostat that could communicate with both systems.

Zigbee is prob never gonna happen

I’m not aware of anyone actually trying it. Vera/MiOS might be able to do that. From their own website:

With MiOS, you don’t have to worry about compatibility. Whether it’s Z-Wave, ZigBee, 6LoWPAN, Wi-Fi Direct, Insteon, BACnet, PLC or X10 technologies, the MiOS platform can bridge them all.

http://getvera.com/about-us

The 2GIG panel can be programmed as a secondary controller to Vera as the primary controller. If Vera can somehow provide a virtual Z-Wave thermostat by bridging to your ZigBee thermostat that just might work. I’ve never tried it and don’t even know if it’s possible.

I think this would not be possible. I don’t believe the 2GIG panel routes any commands through the primary controller, however I don’t have the latest Vera hardware/firmware and have not directly attempted this either. Would be a great test.