Zigbee support for IQ2 Panel?

Noticed there is an option to turn on Zigbee support (and another format) on the latest firmware update for the IQ2 panel (to version 2.5.0). It says its “BETA” I could be wrong, but I believe ZigBee operates at 2.4 GHz (remembering Tyler’s post about the the 3 major formats video tutorial), so I would assume its simply a software activation since most IQ2 Panels have a WiFi card?

I think this is a good thing, l would imagine in the future, leave Z-wave for the security devices (which IMHO is more secure), and other devices can be Zigbee.

I don’t have much info on that at the moment but I will be happy to look into it.

I believe ZigBee operates at 2.4 GHz

There are a couple Zigbee radio frequencies. It also uses a ~900mhz band which was used previously for Alarm.com Image Sensors on the IQ Panel. 2.4 Zigbee has never been used on an Alarm.com compatible panel.

I think this is a good thing, l would imagine in the future, leave Z-wave for the security devices (which IMHO is more secure), and other devices can be Zigbee.

Z-wave is not used for any security sensors. Z-wave is used for automation devices only.

In general, Z-wave is not nearly as good at handling security devices because large networks of battery operated Z-wave devices require a lot of repeaters to be reliable, unplugging an appliance module may render your door sensor useless, for example. That’s a big reason why alarm panels do not use them.

RF Protocols like S-Line and Power G have extreme range and reliability comparatively, along with sensor-panel communication which is independent of any other devices.

The Zigbee BETA found in Dealer installation is a software update that is preparing future Zigbee support which would require a Zigbee daughter card to actually use. No ETA on any of that yet.

thanks for the information. The future is looking bright with all this cross platform support.

Any update on this?

I also found the dealer install manual for software version 2.5.0 which references being able to control Zigbee home automation devices with a daughter card installed.

Here’s the link: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/ProductManual/File?folder=&filename=product_documents/3821/IQ%20Panel%20Installation%20Manual%202.5.0%20FINAL.pdf

If you search that PDF for “Zigbee”, you’ll see the part where they talk about using it for Home Automation — and I think this is the same document that the OP was referencing.

I don’t have any news on this as far as an ETA at this time. The daughtercard wouldn’t be sold normally through distribution during a beta test period.