Z-wave sensors vs. RF sensors

Hello - I have been scouring the internet for the last week trying to find an answer to this question, hopefully someone here can help me. I am close to pulling the trigger on the Qolsys IQ panel to power my new home alarm system. I already have a Z-wave based home automation ecosystem powered by Smartthings.

My question is about the ALARM functionality of Z-wave vs. RF (319.5) sensors. Specifically door sensors and motion sensors. Would a Z-wave door sensor provide the same alarm triggering function as the RF door sensor? Or would it just report open/close status for automation routines? Obviously if it performs the same alarm function, then I would go with Z-wave because I can integrate it with Smartthings as well. If not, then I’ll go with RF to maintain the alarm function.

Thanks all!

This is a good distinction to make.
No Alarm.com compatible panel (including the IQ Panel) at this time would support any Z-wave Sensor device (door contacts, motion detetors, etc.)
All sensors must be the appropriate compatible RF. In this case, 319.5

Would a Z-wave door sensor provide the same alarm triggering function as the RF door sensor? Or would it just report open/close status for automation routines?

Neither would be possible through the Alarm panel at this time. 319.5 RF sensors would be used for the automation triggers as well.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the quick response, Tyler!

So the Z-Wave functionality that is touted for the IQ panel just refers to switches and not sensors? Or is there some other distinction that I missing?

just refers to switches

Switches, lights, locks, thermostats, a few others.

https://www.qolsys.com/page_control.html

345mHz sensors have a higher service level vs ZWave sensors which is important for life safety applications. You can approximate security functionality with ZWave sensors and something like SmartThings but it would not have the same service level.

Switches, lights, locks, thermostats, a few others.

https://www.qolsys.com/page_control.html

345mHz sensors have a higher service level vs ZWave sensors which is important for life safety applications. You can approximate security functionality with ZWave sensors and something like SmartThings but it would not have the same service level.

In the case of Qolsys it would be 319.5 Mhz, but yes, this is a good description of the difference. Z-wave in general has a short range and a full system of battery operated sensors would require a great deal of help from AC powered Z-wave devices. At this time, they are not utilized by panels.

A list of officially compatible Z-wave devices can be found here.

Thanks everyone for the help. Guess I came to the right place!