Z wave outlet for light works on panel but not remotely

An update: I got my hands on 4 Qolsys IQ Smart Plugs QZ2101-840. I removed the Aeotec Switch 7s from my Z wave config, and added the Qolsys devices (first exclude them, then include them). They appear to turn on and off as expected via the Panel 4, and remotely via alarm.com website. However, two of them repeatedly fail the Z wave network rediscovery. But they do seem to work. I will check on how well the automations execute tonight.

I will be re-purposing the Aeotec 7 switches in a different house with HomeAssistant, which appears to work fine with them. But this episode does raise some concerns for me about the z wave capabilities of the Panel 4. If z wave compatibility is so tightly limited with the Panel 4, it gives me pause about buying additional Panel 4 devices for other locations. For example, I am interested in installing some Zooz Zen51 and 52 relays so that I can keep my existing light switches but be able to automate them. I don’t see the Zooz devices on the compatibility list for Qolsys. Will these work with the Panel 4 ? Or should I be looking for an alarm panel with no z wave integration/automation and use another hub/HomeAssistant for automation ?

When buying Z-wave devices it is generally best to stick to the compatibility list.

When it comes to switches though, most standard on-off or dimmer switches should work with the panel. It is more unusual to find one that doesn’t given their simplicity.

Any multifunction device, multi-switch controller, etc., avoid. It will not work with Alarm.com and the panel may be able to recognize that two functions exist, but it will not likely handle them gracefully since it is not a supported feature.

What you are seeing with the Aeotec 7 switches is it’s being recognized as a dual function switch by the panel, and it would not be expected to work.

I cannot confirm the Zooz switches, though other users have reported using other Zooz models in the past.

Looking at the models you referenced, the Zen 51 is worth it to try, but I would expect the Zen 52 to similarly be incompatible, as it is a dual switch device.

The only multifunction device that has worked in the past is the Somfy Z-wave relay, because each zone on it is paired individually as a separate virtual Z-wave node. The Zen 52 likely will report the same as the Aeotec 7, with a single node ID split.

Unfortunately I have to resurrect this thread because I continue to be frustrated with the z wave capabilities of my Panel 4.

As I noted in my last message, two of four Qolsys IQ Smart Plugs QZ2101-840 continue to experience poor connectivity. When I inspect them on the penal I often find them to be labeled inaccessible or malfunction.

Today I factory reset those two smart plugs and rejoined them to the panel’s Z wave network while they were only a few feet away multiple times. I did not move them in the interim, yet within a few minutes they became inaccessible or marked as malfunctioning.

Troubleshooting via the web failed, and that page suggested I contact Support.

I completed the Z wave test of the panel and no issues were noted. But at this point either 2 of 4 Qolsys Smart Plugs are flaky/failing; or the panel’s Z wave card is flaky/failing.

Just for the record: the Aeotec 7 smart switches I originally bought included without incident into a HomeAssistant z wave network and have been functioning without issues. Is there anything to be gained by trying the 2 Qolsys switches in that HomeAssistant z wave network ?

Is there anything to be gained by trying the 2 Qolsys switches in that HomeAssistant z wave network ?

Yes, if you have another Z-wave controller it would be beneficial to rule out a failure or malfunction of those two devices themselves.

If you connect them to the other network, do they work reliably at an expected range?

I connected the 2 problematic Qolsys switches to another network (Homeassistant using an Aeotec 5 Stick). One switch worked reasonably well, up to 25 feet and a floor vertically away. The other would not pair/constantly fell off the network unless it was within 5 feet of the Z wave hub with clear line of sight, so that one seems to be trash.

I brought the Qolsys switch which seemed to work OK back to the Panel 4 location, factory reset it, and joined it to the network at a location about 15-20 feet away with direct line of sight to the panel and no intervening walls. It joined the Panel 4 Z wave network (Living Room Light 2), but was intermittently becoming inaccessible or being marked as malfunctioning. I noted at the same time that one of my other 2 Qolsys switches (Master Bedroom Light) was also intermittently being shown as inaccessible/malfunctioning. When I check on the alarm.com website, the newly joined Qolsys switch is not seen.

My conclusions are:

1. One Qolsys switch is trash.
  2. another Qolsys switch works OK on a different network in more challenging conditions, but fails with the Panel 4
  3. yet another Qolsys switch I thought was working OK is intermittently dropping out

2 & 3 suggest that the Panel 4 Z wave might not be as capable as the other Z wave network, but difficult to say that with certainty.

I am really scratching my head here wondering if I need to go in a different direction with future hardware purchases for home automation with Z wave.

Further suggestions at this point ?

When I check on the alarm.com website, the newly joined Qolsys switch is not seen.

It is normal for a delay in your panel reporting new Z-wave devices. You can run a Sync command in the Surety system manager for most panels.

It joined the Panel 4 Z wave network (Living Room Light 2), but was intermittently becoming inaccessible or being marked as malfunctioning. I noted at the same time that one of my other 2 Qolsys switches (Master Bedroom Light) was also intermittently being shown as inaccessible/malfunctioning.

Keep in mind as your remove AC powered devices that repeating nodes are being removed. And after adding the devices be sure to run a network rediscovery at the panel. Anytime after you add new devices, run a network rediscovery when done, before testing.

• Navigate to the Settings Tray and click Settings

• Click Advanced Settings

• Enter your Installer Code

• Click on System Tests

• Z-Wave Tests

• Network Rediscovery

• Select all devices via the checkbox
    -Click Rediscover

Where is the panel located? Is it near any big sources of metal?

Saga continues.

I excluded Living Room Light 2 from the network, factory reset, and joined it while it was 3 feet from the panel. It functions OK. Seen on alarm.com.

I moved Living Room Light 2 about 10 feet further away from the panel, still direct line of sight. It functions OK. Ran Network Rediscovery. Result for both Master Bedroom and Living Room 2 is “Rediscovery ended. Neighbor info update failed”. Living Room Light just indicates “Rediscovery ended”. Not very re-assuring.

If I move Living Room Light 2 another 8 feet away but still direct line of sight to the panel, it very soon thereafter is marked as “unreachable” and then “malfunction”. Cannot be turned on at the panel. Network Rediscovery does not get me reconnected.

There is zero metal anywhere near the panel, and as I say this is direct line of sight.

The alarm functions of the Panel 4 seem to work reliably with wireless sensors and a hardwire translator. Pretty happy with it so far in that regard.

But based on the above I must conclude that the Z wave functions of this Panel 4 are not suitable for reliable home automation in any reasonably sized home. As I understand it this panel uses a 700 series chip. Might this be the result of the known firmware issues with that series of z wave chips ?

Might this be the result of the known firmware issues with that series of z wave chips ?

I’m not aware of specific ongoing issues, none reported by Qolsys. Happy to investigate any and see if Qolsys has any info on it, that’s always possible. Can you please link to sources you are referring to?

Silicon Labs which apparently makes all the current 700 series chips sold by many vendors; apparently just released a firmware update which hopes to address these problems. Decent discussion of it here, although it is a very lengthy thread.

Thank you, I’ll send this their way and see if they are already looking into it. Z-wave updates have been made available in the past on the IQ Panel 2+, so beneficial updates would likely be prioritized here too.

I’m also looking forward to news from Qolsys on this. I’ve got another thread going on pretty much the same topic.

And like other op here, I’m wondering if the Qolsys panel 4 is a good idea are all.

I’m planning on bringing over a ton of automation from my old home, and I can’t be messing with some finicky random subset of z-wave that prevents me from adding the functions I need.