Yale locks

I just ordered my system from here. The only thing I am trying to figure out is the deadbolt. It seems Yale has a good reputation.

I was wondering is there is a different between the yale lock with touch screen or the one with physical buttons.

Also is Yale the one to go with?

Thanks

Stephen

Yale makes a decent lock although the most secure deadbolts, at least according to ANSI ratings are from Schlage. They make Z-wave compatible models.

That said, I purchased the Yale touchscreens from Surety along with the rest of my equipment since they take the steps to learn them into the system before shipping just like all the other sensors. Physical buttons wear out, collect dirt and simply aren’t as nice as the touchscreens imho anyway. The key-free deadbolts with touchscreen make a nice impression on the exterior doors.

Yale is the Z-Wave lock I recommend. Schlage makes a great lock but they haven’t done well with Z-Wave compatibility. If you search this forum you’ll find many frustrated 2GIG users who struggled getting their Schlage locks to reliably communicate with their 2GIG panel. Schlage makes a great physical lock and I would recommend them if it wasn’t for the compatibility issues.

While Schlage does have a higher ANSI grade than Yale, keep in mind that a grade 2 Yale lock is probably not the weakest link in your residential door security. The door frame is probably the weakest link. I would worry about reinforcing the door frame before worrying about grade 1 vs grade 2 locks. Disclaimer - I’m not a locksmith.

Also if you have a window in your door or near your door, even a small one, that’s a greater vulnerability than your ANSI lock grade.

Thanks! I think I will be going with Yale at this point. One other thing I was wondering is if on the 2gig system it says if it is locked or not. I know the doors can automatically lock but just wondering.

Yes, the state of the door is polled by 2GIG upon entering the status menu and by ADC as well, so the locked state of the door is viewable remotely.

Awesome thanks!

“While Schlage does have a higher ANSI grade than Yale, keep in mind that a grade 2 Yale lock is probably not the weakest link in your residential door security. The door frame is probably the weakest link. I would worry about reinforcing the door frame before worrying about grade 1 vs grade 2 locks.”

Good points Jason, and not to be ignored. I’ve reinforced both sides of the door frames in question. I’m confident in the grade 2 Yale lock as well, primarily because I went with the keyless versions so there are less opportunities to try to compromise the lock from the outside. Brute force will always win sooner or later so better to minimize the exposure and then move on.