Wiring for ADC-VDB770

I recently picked up a ADC-VDB770 without doing any research. ie: I thought it would be wireless.

I dont have an existing doorbell in my home. I’m trying to figure out what I need to pick up in order to make this work.

I need to know what kind of wire to run. I’ll be running from outside down into my basement then up into my closet where I will have a doorbell.

Which leads me to my next question of what type of hardware do I need to make this also functional as a normal doorbell? And can what I need be picked up from Lowes/Depot

Thank you!

I recently picked up a ADC-VDB770 without doing any research. ie: I thought it would be wireless.

Unfortunately no, the vdb770 is not wireless, it does require a pre-existing doorbell setup. I know they have a battery powered doorbell in the works, but there is no information at this time.

I need to know what kind of wire to run.
Which leads me to my next question of what type of hardware do I need to make this also functional as a normal doorbell? And can what I need be picked up from Lowes/Depot

The VDB770 is compatible with Mechanical and Digital chimes. It cannot be used with Tube or Intercom chime types. You should be able to pick up one at your local big box hardware store.

Wiring gauge/length would be dependent on the chime type chosen and distance. The chimes instruction manual should have that information but 18 gauge wire should suffice.

The power requirements for the VDB770 are:

AC transformer 16-30V AC, 10-30VA*
DC transformer 15-30V DC, 8W minimum*
*The power module included with the ADC-VDB770 is required, the module distributes power from the transformer.

There are some wiring considerations regarding the power module:

White Wires

• Wire the white wires to the chime in one of the following configurations:
    • Front and Trans
    • Rear and Trans
  • No polarity

Note: While rare, some digital chime installations may cause the indoor chime not to ring after attaching the white wires, even when power requirements are met. Reversing the polarity of the white wires can resolve the behavior in most cases. These situations usually involve a digital chime with an integrated diode.

Gray Wires

• Wire the gray wires to the ADC-VDB770 and the transformer
  • No polarity

If you don’t have a chime, you can forego it altogether if you’d like.

You can use the The Video Doorbell Wall Power Supply Kit (ADC-VDBA-PSU-DC) when no chime is present. This a DC plug-in power supply rated at 16V, 1.25A (20W). The Video Doorbell Wall Power Supply Kit is designed to power the ADC-VDB770 when not using an existing chime circuit. This supply can be used for installations where there is no existing wiring or where the existing setup is incompatible.

In addition to the ADC-VDBA-PSU-DC, you would also need:

• A 10 W / 10 Ohm resistor (or flameproof 5W / 3.9 Ohm resistor without a power module)
  • Wires for the power supply

Thank you for the detailed response!

I’m confused on what I need here. I need both an ac & dc transformer? If so, will this work for ac - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-16VAC-30VA-Transformer-Compatible-with-All-Video-Door-Bells-HB-130-03/309792479

Not sure what to use for the DC component.

Additionally, what wire would be needed? In a perfect world, I’d like to purchase a wired doorbell from Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Doorbells-Doorbell-Kits/Wired/N-5yc1vZckvfZ1z19ue1

Please advise. I’d rather not order the ADC video doorbell kit, as I have never ordered from any of the sites online where I see it for sale, and dont feel like waiting 2 weeks for delivery.

Any additional assistance would be appreciated. Thank you

I’m confused on what I need here. I need both an ac & dc transformer? If so, will this work for ac -

Either/or. The above are the specs for each type of transformer you might find in an existing setup. The AC one should be fine.

Additionally, what wire would be needed?

Wiring gauge/length would be dependent on the chime type chosen and distance of cable run. The chimes instruction manual should have that information but 18 gauge wire should suffice for the run.

In a perfect world, I’d like to purchase a wired doorbell from Home Depot.

As long as it is a common digital or mechanical chime, it should work.

@tyler @bobloblaw I’m a paying customer located in Stuart, Florida. My house came with a Skybell ADC-VDB105x from Safe Haven (D.R. Horton installer). I was dissatisfied with the quality of the Skybell, in particular the audio interface which made it difficult to speak with anyone at the door.

Professional electrician at the house today replaced the Skybell with the new ADC-VDB105x. For over 1.5 hours, including a 19 minute call to Alarm.com, we have been unable to get the new doorbell to power on.

The device works perfectly when connected via microUSB. Also, the Skybell worked for the last 3 months prior to removal with no issues (other than audio).

Electrician states there’s approximately 20 volts of power outside. Please advise as far as the photos on how to resolve the issue.

Also, may have a technical issue - new doorbell states the button was pushed while running on microUSB when it was not.

Here are a few additional photos, if any of them are helpful.

A bit of additional feedback for Alarm.com - very easy to pull on the device and remove it, unlike Amazon Ring.

@jwcsurety I read you recommend the new Alarm.com camera, appreciate your help in resolving the issues here. No power when the SkyBell worked previously. Please see above, thank you.

Electrician states there’s approximately 20 volts of power outside. Please advise as far as the photos on how to resolve the issue.

The first thing to double check is the actual specs of the transformer. Can you confirm the specs off the transformer label? Or give a photo of that label?

High resistance/thinner or longer than normal wiring may be limiting power draw.

Another thing I would want to see in this case is the splices for the transformer and doorbell wires. Looks like those connections are tucked in the wall (The gray wire connections)