Wired to Wireless

I’m awaiting delivery of the Qolsys IQ Hardwire 16 S-Line I ordered from you. But, I have a lot of wired smoke detectors I will be replacing with wireless. If the wires are disconnected from the old panel, how should the wires be handled before pushing them back into the ceiling/wall? Should they be taped together with electrical tape?

If the wires are disconnected from the old panel, how should the wires be handled before pushing them back into the ceiling/wall? Should they be taped together with electrical tape?

Always be sure to disconnect from the old panel first so there is no voltage running through. Once they are disconnected, it is good to usually tape off each lead at the end of the wire, I like to use white electrical tape and label the wiring, though I imagine the wireless smokes will be going right where the current ones are so you’ll always know it was smoke wiring.

Just recently it was announced there was a new version of the hardwire coming out. Depending on how many smokes you are referencing and whether they are 2-wire or 4-wire detectors, the new Hardwire 16-F is the same as the S with encryption but also includes a zone which handles 2-wire smoke detectors (no carbon monoxide support, and it would also depend on the age of the current detectors, they should always be replaced by their end of life date)

The Hardwire 16-F is a replacement for the S and is just starting to ship through Qolsys apparently. We do not have an ETA yet.