Which resistors for Qolsys Hardwire 16?

I’ve had an issue with a bell tamper randomly going off every so often. After troubleshooting the issue myself (by bypassing the Amseco PSW-1 plunger switches in the bell box and just closing the loop on the wiring, checking connection at Hardwire 16, etc.) I seemed to resolve it by replacing the resistor (it looks like the installer ran out of the supplied ones and used a 4-band one that should have been in spec ohm wise). I found one of the original resistors and replaced it with that.

I’d like to purchase extra replacement resistors. It looks like the hardwire 16 that I have came with 3.01k Ohm 1% resistors (If I’m reading the color code correctly). It looks like the newer 16-F comes with 4.7k Ohm 1% resistors. If I’m reading correctly, I can use anything 1 - 10k Ohm.

I was just going to purchase some on Amazon and notice the 4.7k resistors come in 1/4W, 1/2W, etc. What spec do I need? Also, wanted to confirm 4.7k works on the older hardwire 16 as well. Thanks!

Resistance value is the important number, and it can be anything between 1-10kohms.

4.7kohm 1/4w are fine.

On the original Hardwire 16, each zone must use EOL Learn mode, in other words be learned in individually and the hardwire 16 measures the expected resistance upon learning it in.

On the newer Hardwire 16F it has two modes, the EOL learn mode, and a default mode which looks specifically for 4.7 on all terminals.

1 Like

Great to know. So, if I changed the resistor size, how do I relearn it to the new resistor size.

Is it a fluke that changing the resistor from 4-band 3.3k Ohm to 5-band 3.01k Ohm fixed my issue since it would have been learned in for 3.3k Ohm?

Is there a difference between 4-band and 5-band if they have the same resistance?

Also - for b wire connectors, do you recommend gel or dry and why?
Thanks for the education!

So, if I changed the resistor size, how do I relearn it to the new resistor size.

You would need to reset the memory and relearn all zones. you cannot relearn individual zones unfortunately.

Is it a fluke that changing the resistor from 4-band 3.3k Ohm to 5-band 3.01k Ohm fixed my issue since it would have been learned in for 3.3k Ohm?

There are degrees of tolerance among the resistor values, usually like ± 5%, maybe 10%. It’s possible there is a higher resistance naturally on the wire now than when installed if there is any corrosion or damage to the wire, and using the slightly lower value resistor accidentally puts it back in the expected range. Just a guess.

Is there a difference between 4-band and 5-band if they have the same resistance?

I think 5 band have a narrower range. Instead of ± 5%, it might be 2%.

Also - for b wire connectors, do you recommend gel or dry and why?

I usually just use the gel kind. The conductive gel protects the wire ends from corrosion, so it is better for areas with high potential humidity or dampness.

Ahh, all of the zones were using the supplied 5-band 3.01k except for the bell tamper was not. So what you’re saying is that when the first sensor was installed that set the resistor value for the entire hardwire? If so, that would make sense why the bell tamper with different resistor would cause an issue.

No, each zone is registered separately. I thought you were referencing a zone input, not tamper, apologies for confusion.

Just to clarify, what terminal exactly are you referencing? Is it the pair just labeled “Tamper”?

That input can use a jumper, not a resistor.

I have an external bell box on the side of the house that goes off when the alarm goes off. That bell box uses 2 different Amseco psw-1 plunger switches inside of it to see if someone is tampering with the box (either taking the cover off or removing the box from the wall). Those plunger switches are wired together and run back to and connect to my third Hardwire 16 at zone 14 on the hardwire 16.

Yep, if it is wired to a zone input on the hardwire you need a resistor, and the resistance is learned individually for all zone inputs. They can all be different resistances using EOL Learn mode (the only mode on the old hardwire) or they can all be the same. To relearn one however requires relearning all of them one by one.

What is the process to relearn all of the EOL resistances?

This doesn’t mean the IQ panel needs to relearn the sensors on the panel though, correct?

This is a full factory reset. It is going through the setup process again from scratch. There is unfortunately no way to relearn a single zone. You should delete and re-enroll sensors in the panel as well (I think this is necessary for the encrypted versions at least, need to test that on an older model).

How to Reset : Power down the unit by unplugging the battery leads and the power supply. Hold down “Memory Reset” for 3 seconds while re-applying power to the device. Processor, RF Xmit and EOL Cal LED’s will begin to flash indicating that the module has been reset

So I should delete all the sensors from the qolsys panel first that are connected to that hardwire 16. Perform a factory reset on the hardwire 16, then learn each sensor into the qolsys panel from the hardwire 16.

When I learn in the sensor to the panel it auto learns the EOL resistance at that point automatically?

Yeah, enter EOL learn mode, you can also place the panel in auto-learn sensor mode and trip the sensors one by one to learn them in. Follow the steps in the manual:

The Hardwire 16 registers the resistance the first time the zone opens while in EOL learn mode.

Ok thanks for all the details. At this point, the sensor is working normal, so I’m going to let it ride.

Last time periodically throughout the year, the bell tamper would randomly go off. If it starts that again, I’ll relearn everything in at that point.

Appreciate all the help and details!