What to do with the existing system

I bought a house which has an existing home security system. I want to start using Surety services for obvious reasons. I like tinkering with electronics and also interested in home automation. So I think I would be able to handle DIY(except maybe electrical stuff). But I am not sure what to do with the existing system.

Also I could use some help(a lot actually) in setting up the new system. I have been going through the forums here for the last few days but I have never setup a home security system before. So pardon my naive questions. I am still learning.

What I have now:

There is an old Honeywell panel in the foyer which looks like this -

And in the basement -

I see few of these sensors on first floor windows. They look like they are wired?

Some doors has this in-built sensors -

And I see few sensors on second floor which look like they are wireless(I can post pics if you want).

What I want:

I want to replace the panel for sure. I did some research and my heart is pretty much set on IQ Panel.

Questions:

1. Can I just remove all the panels? There are total three of these. Previous owner said they disconnected the monitoring but all sensors still beeps when I open doors, windows etc. Should I switch off something before removing the panels?

2. Can I reuse the wired sensors with IQ Panel? I searched in the forum and it looks like I need a takeover module? Would my system work with a takeover module? Not sure if my pics are clear enough for you to tell

3. Are there any benefits in reusing the wired sensors? The only benefit I see is saving on some hardware(sensors). But is it worth the trouble of setting up a takeover module? Or should I just get rid of all the existing wired sensors and start fresh with IQ Panel and wireless sensors?

4. What about the existing wireless sensors? Can I reuse them with IQ Panel?

Any help is much appreciated!

Can I just remove all the panels? There are total three of these. Previous owner said they disconnected the monitoring but all sensors still beeps when I open doors, windows etc. Should I switch off something before removing the panels?

Welcome, happy to help! Unplug the main panel board AC power transformer and battery, then you can just remove the keypads as you wish. Keep in mind you can generally reuse the cabling going to one to run power to the IQ Panel 2+ and connect its transformer to the other end as long as the run isn’t too long.

Can I reuse the wired sensors with IQ Panel? I searched in the forum and it looks like I need a takeover module? Would my system work with a takeover module? Not sure if my pics are clear enough for you to tell

Yes, you could reuse them with a translator. I would recommend the PowerG version here.

Are there any benefits in reusing the wired sensors? The only benefit I see is saving on some hardware(sensors). But is it worth the trouble of setting up a takeover module? Or should I just get rid of all the existing wired sensors and start fresh with IQ Panel and wireless sensors?

The main benefit is a reduction in up front cost, the wired sensors are usually in good shape and last a long time, so there is no reason not to take advantage.

If there are only a handful of wired sensors then it might not be worth it, but if you have a fairly sizeable system it is extremely cost effective.

What about the existing wireless sensors? Can I reuse them with IQ Panel?

You have a Honeywell Vista panel, if you have an RF receiver and wireless sensors they would be 345Mhz Honeywell sensors. You can reuse them with the 345Mhz version of the IQ Panel 2+ found here:

Hi @jwcsurety,

Thanks for the response!

If I am going with PowerG, can I remove this main panel board in the basement? I am assuming PowerG would replace this panel and all or some of the the cables going to this panel would go to PowerG instead?

Also what do you mean by transformer? Is it part of IQ Panel or the existing system?

What about the battery? Can I re-use the existing one or should I get a new one?

If I am going with PowerG, can I remove this main panel board in the basement? I am assuming PowerG would replace this panel and all or some of the the cables going to this panel would go to PowerG instead?

Yes, that’s correct, the PowerG Hardwire Translator would replace that panel and you would be connecting the zone wires to the translator.

Also what do you mean by transformer? Is it part of IQ Panel or the existing system?

I was referencing the plug-in power transformer that comes with the IQ Panel. You can typically reuse one of the keypad wires and connect the panel and plug in transformer at either end.

What about the battery? Can I re-use the existing one or should I get a new one?

The PowerG Hardwire Translator specifies a 7AH battery. Generally whenever installing a translator I would replace the battery, but if that one is 7AH, you may be able to use it, it would just depend on the age. If it is 5 years old or so I would replace it no matter what.

Ok. Just to make sure I got it correctly, I can use the existing wires (which are connected to Honeywell) to connect to IQ Panel and on the other end of the wire(in the basement) connect the IQ Panel transformer and plug that in to AC?

Sorry to pester you with more questions. I am trying to understand how the current Honeywell panel is wired to the main panel board. The circuit digram indicates 4, 5, 6, 7 terminals are connected to the Remote Keypad. Does that mean these are the wires going to the Honeywell panel?

When I replace this with PowerG, will there be any wires going from IQ Panel to PowerG? Or are they paired wirelessly?
Considering I will have few sensors paired with PowerG, what happens if somebody mess with the PowerG? Like disconnect it or something. Would I get notified?

I guess I might as well just replace the backup battery. Is this a good choice?

No worries, we’re here to help with questions!

Just to make sure I got it correctly, I can use the existing wires (which are connected to Honeywell) to connect to IQ Panel and on the other end of the wire(in the basement) connect the IQ Panel transformer and plug that in to AC?

Correct.

I am trying to understand how the current Honeywell panel is wired to the main panel board. The circuit digram indicates 4, 5, 6, 7 terminals are connected to the Remote Keypad. Does that mean these are the wires going to the Honeywell panel?

Correct, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are the keypad wires.

When I replace this with PowerG, will there be any wires going from IQ Panel to PowerG? Or are they paired wirelessly?

No, it is wireless to the panel.

To clarify, PowerG is not the name of the device, PowerG is the brand - a name for the wireless protocol. There are many different PowerG sensors. The part we are discussing is a hardwired to wireless translator taking wired sensors and turning them into wireless PowerG signals.

Considering I will have few sensors paired with PowerG, what happens if somebody mess with the PowerG? Like disconnect it or something. Would I get notified?

Yes, the device itself is supervised, and if wires are pulled you will see open or tamper alerts depending on the situation.

I guess I might as well just replace the backup battery. Is this a good choice?

No, that is a 5AH model. The PowerG Hardwire Translator manual specifies 7AH required, I would stick to that. Here’s an option, but they are available from a wide variety of sources.

Hi @jwcsurety, Thanks for clearing up that part about PowerG.

So the way I see it, only the wired sensor cables need to be wired to the PowerG. This would basically makes all my wired sensors wireless so they can be detected and paired with IQ Panel. Is that correct?

Regarding the backup battery, sounds like it’s only connected to PowerG. What about IQ Panel? If there is a power loss, what will keep the IQ Panel running? Is there an in-built backup power?

So the way I see it, only the wired sensor cables need to be wired to the PowerG. This would basically makes all my wired sensors wireless so they can be detected and paired with IQ Panel. Is that correct?

Correct.

Regarding the backup battery, sounds like it’s only connected to PowerG. What about IQ Panel? If there is a power loss, what will keep the IQ Panel running? Is there an in-built backup power?

The IQ Panel has an internal backup battery.

Sounds good. I think I have enough to get this thing started. Will reach out if I have any more questions.
Thanks for all the help @jwcsurety !

Actually one more quick question. I see this on the wall. Is this an alarm siren?

I think I saw a couple of these. Does Surety offer any product like this?

That is a wired siren. The PowerG translator has a Bell output that may be able to power it. See from the manual below:

You could instead use PowerG wireless sirens like the PG9901. We do not sell this model but it is available online.

Good to know. Thanks!

Just curious- why not just use the wired alarm? You can put in a system enhancement module (sold here at surety) which would give you automation controls as well. The Qolsys is a fine panel but the vista 20p has been around for decades and you just can’t beat wired sensors. Just a thought.

Automation is one of the reasons. But to be honest I guess I am just going for the “upgrade”. I really liked IQ Panel and it’s features.

But I also wanted to leverage the benefits of the already existing wired system. That’s why I decided to go with a hybrid approach.

Hey @jwcsurety,

Another quick question. I am thinking of not reusing the existing wireless sensors(345Mhz Honeywell sensors.). So I may get this package and some extra sensors -

Would this IQ Panel version works with the PowerG translator you recommended?

Also what do you recommend for my windows? I have double hung windows. So I need to place the sensor on top in order to monitor both opening from top and bottom. But the top side is narrow. Especially the part where the magnet goes. It’s about 1cm. Is there a small enough censor which fits here?

Would this IQ Panel version works with the PowerG translator you recommended?

Yes, all versions of the IQ Panel 2+ are compatible with PowerG sensors.

Especially the part where the magnet goes. It’s about 1cm. Is there a small enough censor which fits here?

The magnet with the IQ DW Minis is right around 7/16 wide, which would be just over 1 CM. Need to get an exact measurement there of the window to determine for sure, but it may be a little too big.

What is the exact measurement of that spot by the glass?

Last time time checked it was just under 1cm. I couldn’t get an exact measurement due to the tight space. But I will try one more time when I am at the house today or tomorrow and let you know.

So this is one of the reasons I decided to not go with the IQ Panel 345MHz. I felt like my sensor options would be limited since 345MHz version is compatible only with PowerG & legacy 345MHz 2GIG/Honeywell wireless sensors.

So I took one more measurement today for the windows. The smaller side(glass side) is quarter of an inch and the larger side is an inch and a half. What kind of sensor would fit here ?
I am getting this Panel -

The Alula RE122 comes with the narrowest magnet that I am aware of in terms of surface contacts. The magnet is about 5/16 inch width.

If your smaller section is between 1/4 inch and 1cm it might fit. If it is actually 1/4 inch exactly it likely won’t. You might try one to see if it will be able to slide past the magnet.

Ok I will order one and test.

FWIW I also ordered one IQ Mini. Worst case I can always use it somewhere else in the house.

Thanks for all the help @jwcsurety!