What is the best outdoor camera for my situation?

Hello,

I currently have ADC V722W outdoor camera. It is connected wirelessly to my network via a Netgear Orbi mesh network. I have the main base in the basement and the satellite on the first floor. I have 100mbps internet connection and per speed test throughout most of the two story home, I get 50-100mbps. The camera is mounted above the exterior garage door. On average, per the “Video Device Setting” my wireless strength is 3-10%. I have tried to move around the orbi satellite inside the house to increase the wireless strength, but it really does not improve. As a result, the video buffers a lot and is glitchy. I have access to an ethernet connection where the camera is mounted as well as the power outlet. Would you recommend I switch to an ethernet camera (POE). I am not familiar with POE. Would it work for my situation. What, if any, other items would I need if I purchased a POE camera? In addition, I am mounting on a vertical surface if that matters. Thanks for your recommendations.

If you have power and an ethernet jack at the install site, a different camera that could be hardwired would likely solve the issue. Something like the ADC-726 would work. It doesnt have to be POE necessarily.

Other than moving the satellite around, what have you tried with regards to troubleshooting the 722? I would reboot the camera first, then test to see if that changes the connection.

Has the wireless connection always been weak or is this a more recent development?

So I do have an ethernet cable and power at the install site. Does that camera you recommended have the best specs for an outdoor camera? I have not tried rebooting the camera, however I’ve always had very limited signal strength but have always just put up with it.

In addition, the outdoor camera does not seem to want to record events and send a push notification to my iPhone that I have set up, for example simple tripwire on the driveway. I checked my storage capacity and I was nearing capacity so I deleted several videos but the problem still persists. This problem just started within the last week. So the camera has been acting up. I will try restarting it

I restarted the camera and moved the Orbi Satellite to a little closer, albeit not wife approved location. Lol. The camera now can get to a signal strength of 30ish. Quality of the feed did improve a bit and I am now getting notifications from the camera and the videos are being saved. Maybe the restart helped. Thank you. I do not believe the wife will sign off on the current location of the satellite, therefore I believe my best route is to upgrade the camera to the one you suggested.

A wired camera should definitely fix unreliability due to a weak WIFi signal. The ADC-VC726, ADC-VC736, ADC-VC826, ADC-VC836 are wired. PoE just means the power is sent on the ethernet cable along with the data. It’s usually easier that way than to run a separate power cable through the side of the house. You just need a PoE switch/adapter at the other end to send the power.

Gotcha Roy. Can u link up what type of POE switch or power adapter I would need if I go that route. I understand the camera does not come w a power adapter. Thanks again.

Here is an example of a good POE injector option.

If you are wiring multiple cameras to a central spot, a POE switch my be better.

Thanks Jason. So I plug my existing Ethernet cable from the modem into this adapter and then I won’t need a separate power adapter to power the camera. Is that correct?

Right, if you are using a POE capable camera model, the injector or switch would use the wires in the ethernet cable to deliver both power and data to the cam.

Great. Thx. as recommended above by Tyler, the 726 is POE capable I believe. Would you also recommend this camera. I am looking for the “best” outdoor camera I can buy. Just confirming I can adjust the mount on that camera to mount it to a vertical surface. The pictures I have seen show it mounting to a horizontal surface.

Yes the ADC-V726 would be a great POE option for you. Yep, you can mount the cam base vertically or horizontally. There are a few pivot points where the arm can be rotated and angled and the cam can be rotated.

Awesome. Thx. Have a great day.

Happy to help! Let us know if you have any other questions!