What if I remove the Cell module from a Vivint (2GIG) panel?

I purchased a home with a Vivint system. I looked into picking up the account from the previous owner but I got a big run around. One time I called and was told I had an obsolete panel and needed a new one for a cost of $650 including tax. Another time I was told I had to pay a $100 conversion fee. I decided to learn more about the system before making a decision.

The previous owners gave me a password that allowed me to view the system through alarm.com. Then I found out that the previous owners were getting charged by Vivint and were trying to terminate the account. That was in July. It is now October. Last week I tried to log into the Vivint site and was rejected. I figured they finally terminated the account. I thought I would do some experimenting with the panel. Somehow I activated an alarm and got a call from Vivint. I told them I don’t have an account and they hung up. A few minutes later I got a visit from a local police officer.
Then I found out that the previous owner changed the password. That is why I couldn’t login. They are still getting charged even though they live over 100 miles away in another state.

Sorry for the long story but I felt I needed to give background for my question.

Can I just remove the cell module from the panel? I hope that doesn’t cause an alarm or even cycling alarms. I once had a telephone from a security system and tried to use it as a regular phone. I started sending alarms to the police every few minutes. I really don’t need that.

If I can remove the cell module without causing problems I will have some time to look into this system without visits from the police. Right now I have too many balls in the air to make any decisions regarding security.

If it is the original 2GIG panel. It is easy (it is also easy if it is a Skypanel the tamper acts as a panel reset, disable installer lockout, reprogram sensors and use as a noisemaker)

Original Panel looks similar to this, (and this can be taken over by another provider and used with a non-vivint central station):

The install code is 2203 the default duress code (user 8) is 2580. You may want to remove this user code, or change it later.

Power off panel (remove wall wart/transformer), alarm battery will run out after 24 hours. Open panel remove cell module via screws. Power panel back up,disarm with 2580.

Letting panel die, will prevent it sending out an alarm when tampered (opened), it is up to you if you want to wait, but that would be my suggestion.

This 2580 code will also allow you to view, and change all user codes on panel once you disarm it (including the master code).

Use panel as a noisemaker once you obtain the master user code. Programming will likely be locked out though.

The panel has a 24hour lockout, and 2203 installer code will not allow you to have installer access, once you put an activated cell module in, the installer code lockout can be remotely reset via alarm.com. it would be wise at this point to also change all User codes, including installer default code.

It is likely that the firmware on panel is 1.9 (or older) you will need to update this. current firmware is 1.19,so you will want to obtain a 2gig firmware update cable (if you are not on 1.9, update to that first,then 1.19).

1.9.6 firmware:
https://suretyhome.com/download/2GIG/firmware/archive/2GIG%20V1.9.6%20English%20Firmware%20Update%20Tool.zip

1.19 firmware:
https://2gig.com/firmware/rflashd/v1.19_english.zip

Trash cell module, you will not be able to reuse it.

Everything you need is in the store.

Further note…looks like newer versions of the 2GIG firmware have fixed the user code exploit (on 1.19 at least, only the master code can view/change user codes. I have not check other firmware versions).

I suspect this exploit will still work though on Vivint 2GIG panels as their firmware never officially supported anything higher that 1.9.6, and all of the panels have the same duress/User 8 code (2580). Just be sure to power down panel first.