Weird Text Alerts

Have the CT-100 t-stat set on heat only. Schedule is off and fan is auto.

Smart away is not enabled. I’ve been getting the same text messages about the target temp changing for about 3 days now and there are different values to it too.

I changed it to ‘heat only’ a couple weeks ago since in WI there’s no summer left.

t-stat settings

several times a day text messages (2 at a time)

If you dont want the temp to change because of sensors left open/restored, then disable the rule for “sensor left open energy saver”, or change the notification rule “thermostat change alert”. You might want to also check “extreme tempature energy savings” rule. The default for this is 32°F I set mine to 28°F and 3°F trim.

Also, dont manually change the set point from the mobile app or website. If you do, it will go back to what it think the target temp should be. I had mine set for 65°F, and it kept reverting target on its own back to 61°F. After I manually set it at the tstat to 65°F it held. I have a electric heat pump with aux heat, and I turned off schedules once I realized the setbacks were not saving me anything, and were in fact increasing my electric bill.

I actually want the ‘sensor left open alert’ since my kids think I like to heat/cool the outside too.

I was referring to the text about the t-stat changes to 75° and 70° and even the one that says it changed to 77°. Where and how are these texts even gathering their data?

I expected them when I had the t-stat on auto. After a certain time I had the temp change automatically. One temp for heat and one for cooling, right?

Now that I changed it to just heat, I should only receive one temp and then only receive it when it’s programmed to change. What also bothers me is the incorrect temps that are being sent. I did change the settings via ADC site. What is the procedure to ‘restart’ the t-stat? I know the ADC site said that it was going to restart it due to changing core settings, but don’t know if it actually did.

Is it possible there exists “ghost” settings?! Halloween is near ya know.

The thing is actually running the way it’s supposed to. Target temp is 70° and isn’t changing like the texts would make you believe it to be. That is, until 11:30, then it changes to 67°.

As I said, mine did it all the time (changed temps based on what it thought it should be possibly based on previous scheduled temps, or manually set random temps). I no longer use schedules, and want it to stay (hold) at whatever target set point I choose (unless sensor left open, or extreme temps).

To do this, you must set the temp target at the tstat itself.

The other option is to reset the tstat.

They should fix that.

Thanks riven.

Taking a step back, it looks like the heating set points are showing correctly. Each time the scheduled change occurs, I see correct reports of 67 or 70. And when sensor left open events occur, it looks like it correctly reports the system trimming 3 degrees off of 70.

The set points of 75 and 77 are precisely 2 degrees off from what the cool schedule is set to. Were these prior cool set points? If the schedule is running, your system will report both set point changes.

I am seeing that signalling has been weak recently on this system. Below the recommended signalling strength. Commands sent when either changing or turning off the schedule may not have fully registered. Can you check your current signal strength at the radio status screen? If it is below 11 try power cycling the panel. Does the signal improve when re-registered?

...it looks like the heating set points are showing correctly. Each time the scheduled change occurs, I see correct reports of 67 or 70.

Perhaps I misread something, but from what I gathered, OP turned off schedule, yet changes are still occurring other than for sensor left open events…

Have the CT-100 t-stat set on heat only. Schedule is off...

But this does make sense… OP could always resent the command via ADC

Commands sent when either changing or turning off the schedule may not have fully registered
I am seeing that signalling has been weak recently on this system. Below the recommended signalling strength. Commands sent when either changing or turning off the schedule may not have fully registered.

We will be able to troubleshoot the notification and rule errors, but addressing the signal is most important as it can affect whether that troubleshooting or subsequent commands are successful and the two issues are likely related.

My bad. Missed that part. I did edit my post above.

I have my doubts though. I know for a fact, my schedule turn off registered, and it still tried to automate temp changes for what were essentially random long term setpoints (I wanted my unit off as AC was no longer required, so I set it to heat with target at 60°F - 61°F just for cold nights). My normal temps were as it got colder, either 65°F (until everyone started complaining), then 68°F. But on more than one occasion, we woke up to the tstat at 60°F - 61°F, or 65°F.

I suspect it is the “learning” aspect of the tstat/ADC algorithm- whether you manually adjust your temps, or use a programmed schedule to do it for you, the tstat sees it the same, and will modify set point targets based upon that perceived usage.

This would be easy to verify. All you need do is for those with active schedules that have been in effect for say a week or two, simply turn off schedules, raise/lower temp remotely via app or website to say a random set point, and see if it holds. The only thing that I think would stop would be the “smart away” settings.

The only way I stopped it short of a tstat reset, was to set the target set point at the tstat itself. I am not sure, but I think I had to set the target at tstat at least a few times to get it to hold even then. Perhaps it had to “learn” to hold it at that set point.

The highest I can get the signal is 13. This is the cell signal correct?

I also have a bridge in the system. Wouldn’t that help, or does the bridge come in only if the signal falls to 0?

Bigger antenna maybe? <that's what she said>

13 should be a sufficient signal for communication. (I was seeing 5-8 on the account)

Can you retry sending schedule commands? turn on and off the schedule. Save.

EDIT: I am actually seeing low signalling still. When did you notice a 13? Are you able to move the panel to a different location to test?

Actually, I did that same thing last night. I’m still getting the texts giving changing temps for both heat & A/C. Some of the temps given in the texts are not correct or even set in the t-stat though.

The texts come two at a time. The first one will usually be 77 when I have the temp change to 67 at night, which is the second text.

The other set of texts I get is when the t-stat changes temp in the morning. I do have it set to do this but I still don’t know why I get the 75 & 77 degree texts or where it’s pulling that info from.

Don’t know how to remove the full pic on my iPad, the 2nd pic is the cropped region for today’s alerts.

Just so I have a handle on what is going on here:

Schedule should be turned off, correct? The thermostat should never automatically adjust the settings?
Is the thermostat still following the schedule? (the notifications would indicate it is)
Are you changing the thermostat manually at the thermostat?

You have the notification selected to alert whenever the mode or target temp changes, which is why these are being sent it seems. You can shut this off for the time being. If a schedule is on on the thermostat, it will report both cool and heat schedule target temps.

Schedule is off. I’m aware I’ll get notifications when the temp changes, I have that option on right now. Thermostat is in heat only mode. I have the t-stat changing temp from 0600 to 2300 it should be 70°. From 2301 till 0559, it should be 67°.

The t-stat physically shows the values put in on the ADC website.

I never had any temperature (ac or heat) set to 75° or 77° at any time, so I have no idea where those are coming from or why I’m still receiving two temps instead of just one.

I have ADC looking into it, thanks, just wanted to clarify. So you have adjusted heat mode schedule changes at the thermostat?

Yep, sure have Jason.

BTW…I appreciate all the help & info you and the others are giving me. We’ll get this figured out.

From what I can tell, it looks like cool schedule notifications are for whatever reason still being generated, and there is no way in ADC currently to isolate those, say just receive alerts for changes associated with heat mode. I’ll verify with ADC today and suggest this as an option. I think the thought process is most people will use auto or ADC schedules, so both apply.