Web commands no going through

For about the last week, commands send through the alarm.com app to my 2gig go control panel have not been going through, and I just usually get an error message about not being able to ensure the command has gone through after the app tries to send it for several minutes (Exact error: “we could not verify that your command was received successfully. You may have to resend your command”). The panel operates as expected when controlled from the panel directly. The cell signal is perfect and we’ve been using this for over a year without any problems and nothing has changed with our setup, just the alarm.com commands via the mobile app stopped working from two different phones and I just verified that the online web interface has the same issues with commands not reaching my panel… What do I do?

I just ran a cell phone test and it actually is not passing. Getting no response from CS.

I pinged your control panel for signal strength and got 27/31 which is very good. I requested a cell phone test from your panel and it passed. Is it still not working for you?

It looks like commands are going through but are delayed more than usual, sometimes up to several minutes. If they take this long then the Alarm.com app/site will time out and complain that the command was not confirmed. Perhaps rebooting the panel would help resolve the delay? Would you like me to send a command “hard reset” your panel? It might help and it shouldn’t hurt anything.

My later post did not go through for some reason - So, after the cell phone test initially failed to receive a response from CS, it said it reset the modem, and then it passed the test. Ran it again, and then it passed right away. Now the mobile commands seem to be working again. Any idea why this happened? Anything else you recommend doing?

Thanks for your help.

Has this happened before or is this the first time? If it happens regularly then we should try to figure out why. If this is the first time them I’m not sure what we can do besides wait and see if it happens again. It may have been a fluke. It could be that for some reason the cellular module’s registration/connection with the cell tower got into a bad state. Messages were being queued up longer than usual, either in the 2GIG module itself or even on the cellular tower. Resetting the modem may have caused it to re-register with the cell tower and open a new message queue that isn’t suffering from that delay problem. I’m just guessing. If this ends up being a recurring problem we may have to get Verizon to help troubleshoot it.

Nope, this was the very first time it ever happened so maybe just a fluke. We have had stellar performance for the last almost 2 years and service from you all has been fantastic. Thanks again!

Ryan, I just tried arming my system again tonight from my phone and alas the commands are not going through and I get the same error as I mentioned above. Guess this is now recurrent… What should we do?

What cell module? TMO GSM, Verizon CDMA, or ATT HSPA?

Verizon CDMA

A lot of users are reporting problems with the Verizon module as of late (since January). It seems to be hit and miss. I suspect its an issue with your closest VZN tower. Does the radio status indicate it is ‘roaming’?

If you can use a ATT HSPA module, you might want to consider switching it out, or go with the BRDG1 for dual path cellular and broadband.

Verizon module issues:

http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/195-Extended-delay-when-triggering-lights?highlight=verizon

Buying a new module should not be the first solution. It was working fine for almost 2 years. Last I checked ATT had a poor signal at my house anyway. Perhaps Verizon needs to be contacted about this? They are being paid (indirectly) for data transmission over their network after all.

Your call. Might want to consider the BRDG1 though for dual path.

Verizon, much like TMO, has been doing this big nation wide push to upgrade their network to LTE, VoLTE, XLTE. They are refarming existing 3G CDMA spectrum

In 4 years (2019), Verizon 3G CDMA will no longer exist nationwide.

Verizon has begun the process of refarming the 1900Mhz band currently used for CDMA and EV-DO service in 10 selected cities for LTE data access as a long-term trial that will eventually expand nationwide, but not for many years. The first evidence of the spectrum refarming on the PCS band was found this earlier week in Manhattan, NY and Cleveland Ohio. When pressed by the media regarding the refarming, Verizon Wireless’ vice president of network performance Mike Haberman stated that the company isn’t refarming PCS spectrum out of necessity, but as a trial.
According to him, as Verizon is seeing EV-DO data usage across the PCS spectrum rapidly decline, it is moving that spectrum to 4G LTE service in order to stay ahead of its competition. The company did not confirm a timeline for refarming its entire PCS spectrum to LTE, but it stated it expects to operate the CDMA EVDO network on the PCS spectrum through Dec 31, 2019.

http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-begins-cdma-spectrum-refarming-in-10-cities-for-lte-service-29635/

I have spoken to ADC and Verizon will be looking into the area to see if this is a carrier/tower issue.

It’s working this morning again. Seems to be an issue intermittently. Thanks for you help.

However, unlike AT&T’s decision to sunset 2G service, a move that will officially become complete as of Dec. 31, 2016, Verizon’s shuttering of 3G should have little or no impact on the alarm industry, according to Shawn Welsh, vice president of marketing and business development for Telular Corp.

“With Verizon there is 2G, 3G and 4G-LTE. There is not just plain 4G, it is only 2G, 3G and 4G-LTE. In that world, 2G services are commonly referred to as just plain CDMA and an even more technical term for the data services of 2G would be 1xRTT. 3G services are not used for voice. Only that 2G CDMA service level is used to patch voice traffic,” explained Welsh. “With that, in effect what we have is when they say 3G is being phased out, all they’re doing is removing the higher speed data, but leaving voice, low speed data and super-fast data which is the 4G-LTE service. That 2G service is being left because what makes it unique? The fact that it carries all of Verizon’s voice traffic, so they can’t get rid of that.”

Welsh said that virtually all cellular communication products designed to work with the Verizon network in the alarm industry are based off of “pure CDMA” technology and that it is this CDMA technology that makes Verizon unique.

That 2G service is being left because what makes it unique? The fact that it carries all of Verizon’s voice traffic, so they can’t get rid of that
Welsh with Telular seems to be a bit clueless... This is no longer true, and hasn't been since last year.

VoLTE carries the voice traffic now for Verizon. Voice over LTE. So Verizon can very easily “get rid of that”

Article dated 2014

Verizon and AT&T said today the companies are taking the next step in the evolution of VoLTE (voice over LTE) technology by enabling VoLTE- to-VoLTE connections between Verizon Wireless and AT&T customers. VoLTE interoperability between Verizon and AT&T customers is expected in 2015.
Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/11/verizon-and-att-move-toward-voice-over-lte-volte-interoperability.html

Advanced Calling 1.0, a first-generation service suite enabled by Voice over LTE, or VoLTE, technology, is now available on America’s largest and most reliable 4G LTE network with XLTE. With Advanced Calling 1.0, there is a clear difference. You will be able to enjoy natural-sounding High-Definition (HD) Voice and a Video Calling* experience that’s as simple as making a traditional voice call.

Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/advanced-calling/

Our web commands are still not going through. Have you guys heard anything from alarm.com or Verizon?

Get the BRDG1.

I got a little light shed on the issue via ADC and Verizon.

Do you by chance have a Verizon Network extender at your location? If not it may be a neighbor’s, but this appears to be causing an issue. The module looks like it may be connecting and disconnecting rapidly between the tower and a network extender.

If you do own the network extender, you can try placing the module on the extender’s “white list”

Yes I actually just got a network extender last week. IT didn’t even occur to me that this may cause an issue. Our panel has a great signal strength but our phones only get 1-2 bars inside our home. I can try to add the extender to the whitelist. I’ll have to see if I can figure that out - when I looked at the config settings on Verizon’s site, it just asks for a phone number for priority access to the network extender so I’m not sure how I can add the panel to it…