Voice

So, in conjunction with all the false alarms from my 2Gig GC3, when SuretyDIY calls over the panel, they can never hear me. What can I do?

Looks like the false alarm you are referring to today may be regarding a motion detector on a GC3 panel with firmware 3.2.3

Unfortunately there is a known issue with the 3.2.x versions out currently which causes the panel to no longer follow entry delay on Interior Followers. A work-around is to change the sensor type to 10 Interior with Delay.

It looks like 2-way voice history in Alarm.com indicates a successful connection by the operators, so a failure to hear would likely stem from the panel or the cellular connection.

Do you always see this issue with 2-way voice? When was the last time it was used normally and the operators could hear you?

It looks like you have an older CDMA module currently. In most cases you should be able to continue using a 3G module, but due to the impending 3G service sunset some areas may experience signaling changes depending on the carrier. If you notice 2-Way failing recently but a long while ago it worked consistently I would suspect signaling issues.

I am aware of the motion bug. The two way voice became noticeable ever since I have been getting all the false alarms. They can never hear me. They announce their presence, I answer, there is some tones as if they are turning up the volume. This happens a couple times and then they stop and call the landline. Could it be a power issue? How can I test the 3g module? How much is a new module. I say power because I had to run two smaller lines from my old panel to power the GC3. Any tests I can try?

An overall power issue is not likely to present as just failure of the mic. It could be a hardware issue with the mic itself, or the circuit applying power to the mic.

One thing that is a long shot which might have an effect here: in a lot of testing, the GC3 2-Way voice tends to completely drop lower volume speech as it filters background noise. How close are you to the panel when speaking? It may be worth a test to try setting off 2-Way and speak very loudly or get closer to the panel. Is there any change in the operator’s ability to hear you?

They announce their presence, I answer, there is some tones as if they are turning up the volume.

They are likely trying to establish 2-way again using the two way dial controls. This is normal if they cannot hear you at first.

I say power because I had to run two smaller lines from my old panel to power the GC3

Just to clarify this, did you reuse the existing wiring with the GC3 14VDC transformer? That would be fine as long as the gauge and length work out.

The GC3 however should never be powered off of the Aux output of an old alarm panel board though, and this may cause issues.

How can I test the 3g module? How much is a new module.

Digging into your signaling history there is nothing that would strike me as indicative of a current issue which would cause this specific 2-Way trouble. Eventually a new module will be required (may be sooner than the official sunset date depending on your location), but looking through panel pings and signal reports I don’t think overall signaling is the cause of the 2-way issue.

The GC3 LTE module is found here.

So, we had a false alarm today. Two-way communication seemed to work well. Once one instance of testing but it was leaps and bounds better than before. Just changed my backup battery.

That sounds promising. A battery change shouldn’t really have an effect, but let us know if it seems to be steady going forward.