Vivotek ADC-V520IR camera, unlock it

FYI

That file (VVTK Plugin Installer) is just the camera stream controller.

Closing my account & involvement with this forum. Dave M.

So how was Dave able to re-use his Camera’s locally with the vivotek software without loading the original firmware? I would like to do the same, while retaining the alarm.com firmware.

He installed the vivotek software as provided at beginning of thread, then contacted Vivotek support who then remote accessed his PC via TeamViewer application, and they then downloaded and installed a patch.

Unfortunately, this patch file isn’t known, or apparently available.

See: http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/vivotek-adc-v520ir-camera-unlock-it/#post-31384

It is also possible that the OP was misinformed/confused as to what Vivotek actually did when they had remote access. He did think that alarm.com was the actual OEM (equip manufacturer) of the Vivotek camera, and that the stream controller plugin was the “patch”. They may have restored the original OEM Vivotek firmware to the cameras once they patched the software and could access the camera through it. Vivotek probably know the password to unlock it once it was patched, used a backdoor, or was able to default it. It is all conjecture at this point.

I have found that you can connect to ADC camera’s using the open source iSpy software after installing VLC, https://www.ispyconnect.com

You first have to add another account to the camera, i.e. factory reset it login with the default (root, adcvideo) and create a username and password to use with iSpy.

I have tested that you can record a stream using iSpy, while still getting notifications from ADC.
However I haven’t had much time to figure out how to access the HD stream yet, It might just be a matter of playing with the config.

Nice info Mr. dansmitherson! Thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but this is still relevant to me. I tried to factory reset my Vivotek devices - I have a couple of ADC-V520IR inside and a few ADC-VS120 units outside. Even with a full 30 seconds of reset held down, the camera comes back online with a root password that is set to something I don’t know. Searching for that VVTK_Plugin_Installer.exe file yields nothing on google or Vivotek’s site.

Any help or guidance would be greatly greatly appreciated.

I promise not to have a meltdown and delete my account over mysterious offenses :slight_smile:

Welcome! Unfortunately we do not host that file, so I wouldn’t be able to directly provide it. I’m not finding reference to it on Vivotek’s website, but their support may be able to assist if one of our users do not have it!

I think the Dropbox link above (which is sadly now dead) was from the OP… and I can’t find it online either. I emailed Vivotek (which isn’t easy to do) but no response yet. If I find it, I’ll figure out a way to make it available.

If anyone has it - let me know. Funnily enough it shows up in online scan results but it isn’t downloadable from those either.

So, I spoke to Vivotek and that plugin installer only does something with obtaining video AFTER the password is found. Alarm.com and their folks appear to randomly create a password to block legitimate customers from using the hardware they bought. I don’t know if this is even legal.

Well, I understand it can be frustrating. Ideally I would prefer Alarm.com’s video to open up to the majority of non-proprietary IP cameras. They have opted for only allowing devices with their firmware, which makes sense from a perspective of ensuring uniform experience and security.

Their stance is not unique. Alarm.com cameras are intended for use with Alarm.com only, and are sold as requiring the service for functionality.

Many cloud surveillance brands have the exact same type of proprietary line up of products that require their service. (Many other industries are the same as well, why “jail-breaking” a device is such a common term.) I wish it wasn’t the case and the platform was open, but this would necessarily reduce overall security.

If you need info on password, check this previous post in this thread. I can’t vouch for if this works or not, but it might be relevant.

That default won’t work for me sadly. Unless I am not resetting to factory correctly. It’s connecting to my network with the same IP as it had before so maybe… but.

Frustrating. They shouldn’t charge you for the devices if they cannot be used otherwise

This thread describes how to factory reset Alarm.com camera models.