Vivint's 2.0 panel and alternate providers

I tried the installer code; it doesn’t work. I wonder if Vivint changed it–I know I’ve seen it on the internet before, so it’s probably not as secret as they’d like it to be anymore.

I’ll take some photos of the guts as soon as I figure out how to pop it open.

Its possible they may have changed it. Need to see the board /module

You active on 2gigforum? Pm me there

Done

The camera issue was discussed in our office. Still digging for more information.

Do these photos show what you need to see?

telit Verizon CDMA cellular module 2GIG Go2.0/vivint sky panel

The second pic is the cellular module…its not interchangable

Its using a Telit Verizon CDMA back end cloud service:
http://www.telit.com/telit/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.1056./ce910-dual

Some more info: http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2010/07/pr2010-07-20c.html

Looks like a lot of hearsay on this topic. I think it would be highly unlikely for Vivint to manufacture their own panel in such a way that another company could just step in and monitor it. That was possible with the Go! Control panel because they didn’t do their own hardware, they just put special firmware on the standard 2GIG panel. Even then they did everything in their power to prevent others from monitoring it. They made the firmware so it only worked for them. They had slightly modified cell modules made that only worked for them. It seems likely that given control over the panel hardware manufacturing they would make it so no one else can monitor their panel. No matter what anyone hears or guesses, until someone actually tests it you can’t make any assumptions.

I agree that if an Alarm.com camera worked with the system then it’s probably still using the Alarm.com back end. During the short period when your system was actually working, did you happen to try logging into your account directly on the Alarm.com website? Or did you only log in via the Vivint website?

Only Vivint.

Sounds like I’ll need both a new panel and a new module then?

Ryan it has a telit embedded cellular module for M2M (Motorola) networks. Its definitely not gonna work with ADC. The ADC cams like you said, are separate from panel, and WiFi (so may be using the ADC back end for video)

There is no way to take over the Go2.0 unless your a dealer for Telit M2M. Dunno about POTS/wifi options…but that means getting access to programming…and hoping lockouts are not enabled. In any event, its unknown if Vivint can brick it remotely, so disabling its ability to communicate is recommended.

David, If you keep it, option is to remove module if possible and go local. The cellular module is also GPS enabled. Vivint can see the location and track it.

I think it would be cleaner to replace the panel.

What exactly do I need to buy?

A little more research…

Apparently the go2.0 aka sky panel isn’t using a third party…Vivint is hiring network software engineers and doing the M2M Telit celular in house

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/6186885

“Job description
Vivint is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer with expertise in machine-to-machine (M2M) cellular applications encompassing voice and data communications.
Work Location:
The primary work location will be Vivint’s Thanksgiving Point office located at 2500 West Executive Parkway Suite 300, Lehi, Utah, 84043. Frequent business meetings will also be required at Vivint’s corporate headquarters in Provo and at other Vivint business locations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
Typically requires a BSEE and 5+ years of experience or an MSEE and 3+ years of experience.
Strong technical knowledge and experience with M2M application development covering network management and voice and data communications on CDMA and/or UMTS networks is required.
Experience with GSM and/or LTE networks is a plus.
Experience interfacing with Novatel/Enfora, Telit, and/or u-blox cellular radio modules is a plus.”

Buy a 2GIG cp1/cp2 panel and a Verizon 3G CDMA module…update firmware and good to go.

You can get it for $200 or so…

Cp2 new ($70)

Cp2 new ($119)

CP2 new ($139):

Cp2 new ($178)

Module ($88):

Will do.

Would the 2.0 unit have any further value after I replace it? I mean, if the thing is impregnable then it’s worthless on the secondary market, right?

Sell it on eBay…as is.

Its basically like if someone bought your home with the panel already there. Vivint comes out, sets it up/programs it. Only new customers get the sky panel an old/existing customer will never get the sky panel, and one may buy it and then all they need do is have the module replaced or so, or have it remotely reconfigured for their AR/account by Vivint tech support.

Sell it as used “2GIG Go2.0/Vivint Sky Panel” $250…(if it doesn’t sell, lower price)

In description state, "Upgraded Vivint Sky Panel. Requires existing/new Vivint service. Cannot be used with anyone else. Panel functional, working, no returns. As is. If you are an existing Vivint customer, and want to upgrade to the next generation panel, Here is your chance, this is what you are looking for.

Note this requires Vivint reprogramming to your account, and is your responsibility."

@Amanda and Ryan,

How do I coordinate with you on setting up monitoring through SuretyCam?

All you do is buy the module linked above, and activate plan on it via phone/email.

Excellent. Thanks everyone. I’ll get ahold of the replacement components and then set up monitoring. You guys have been great!