Vivint Software Propietary?

So I shed myself of Vivint and am not ready to go to the next step. I have ordered a cell module, but I have a couple questions. I see my firmware (1.9.6), but I’m curious what exactly proprietary firmware means and what would it look like it were/weren’t proprietary.

Also, what does the following mean? Should I have specified something in my order?

Due to our complimentary custom equipment programming service we do not ship same day. If you do not want your system programmed please say so in the order notes and we may be able to expedite your order.

I’m curious what exactly proprietary firmware means and what would it look like it were/weren’t proprietary.

The only difference I am aware of are a couple programming Qs. Logo.

There are performance and compatibility updates with each subsequent release however, so the latest firmware will add quite a bit. The UI is unchanged though. We always recommend updating to more recent firmware for stability and compatibility improvements.

Also, what does the following mean? Should I have specified something in my order?

It only applies to full system orders including a new panel where the panel and sensors would be pre-programmed.