Vivint SkyControl & DSC Replacement?

Hello! I’m looking for some direction & appreciate any feedback. Buckle up…this is a long one. I DIY most everything I can & home security/automation is no exception. So I’m thankful I found this forum, what a great resource. I’ve read through some threads & I think many of my questions can be answered with existing thread links.

Here we go! I moved into a new house with an original DSC panel & door sensors. A Vivint system was added by the previous owner about 2/3 yrs ago. Heard this one before?

My Goal(s):

Purchase a panel & any peripheral equipment to to fill in the gaps for what I already have. I want to self monitor & leaning toward the Surety Complete self monitor plan. The IQ Panel 2 plus (345 hz) version is my panel of choice. But I’m open to suggestions. I would like the ability to view video, especially doorbell video on the panel.

I have the following equipment listed below. Some are DSC devices installed when the house was built (2008). The other devices are Vivint & I think they were installed around 2017/18. I doubt many if any Vivint devices can be taken over. The research I’ve done indicates the cameras & DW21R door sensor cannot be taken over. I believe the 2GIG-take-345 was installed in the DSC panel by Vivint & I’m hoping this can be used with a new panel to integrate the existing DSC door switches & motion detector.

Existing equipment

(1) DSC PC1616 panel

(1) 2GIG-PAD1-345

(1) DSC 5501 keypad (garage entryway)

(1) DSC AMB-300 motion detector

(1) 2GIG-take-345

(1) DW21R door sensor

(2) hard wired Magnetic Reed Switch door sensors

(1) hard wired plunger type door switch

(1) Kwikset 888 smart lock (garage entry door)

Vivint devices (takeover ?)

(1) Vivint - 2GIG-SMKT3-345 WIRELESS SMOKE DETECTOR

(1) Vivint - 2GIG C03-345 Wireless Carbon Monoxide Home Gas

Vivint devices (unable to takeover)

(1) Vivint SkyControl panel VS-SH2000-000

(1) Vivint smart hub SM2-2W10

(1) Vivint - DBC2S Doorbell Camera VS-DBC251-110

(1) Vivint - V-CAM1 Ping Indoor 1080p Wi-Fi Camera

(1) Vivint - VS-HDW400-110 Wireless Wide Angle Night Vision Waterproof Camera, Grey

I have lot’s of Questions:

1. Is the IQ Panel 2 plus (345 Hz) the recommended panel?

2. I’m unsure about the smoke & CO2 detectors. Can they be taken over?

3. I’m also unsure about the Kwikset 888 smartlock. I believe this was supplied as part of the Vivint package & although it’s a Z-wave device, I’m unsure if it can be taken over since it may be encrypted by Vivint? I do not know the code. So if it can be taken over, how would I reset for use with a new panel?

4. I assume I would be limited to a skybell doorbell camera? Are there other options?

5. I also assume I would be limited to alarm.com cameras? I plan on 2 wired outdoor cameras for now.

6. I would also like to add a 3rd battery powered outdoor camera. I didn’t see an option on alarm.com. Any suggestions?

7. Plus I would like to add another front door z-wave Kwikset smartlock. Will this integrate with IQ Panel 2 plus?

8. Are there any threads or instructions for integrating what I currently have with a new panel, etc.? I want to do as much DIY as possible but open to a service tech doing some work if necessary.

9. Am I missing anything or any other recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Happy to assist!

The SkyPanel is not compatible an requires replacement. Many questions related to taking over a SkyPanel system can be found through here.

Most sensors from Vivint are proprietary. As an example, the DW21R Door Sensor would be proprietary and not work but the DW20R version would work with another 345Mhz panel.

1. Is the IQ Panel 2 plus (345 Hz) the recommended panel?

The Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (with 345MHz radio) would be our recommendation. While not directly available on our storefront, it can be purchased here.

1. I’m unsure about the smoke & CO2 detectors. Can they be taken over?

If they are the 2GIG CO3-345 and SMKT3-345 they should work fine with the Qolsys 345 panel.

I’m also unsure about the Kwikset 888 smartlock. I believe this was supplied as part of the Vivint package & although it’s a Z-wave device, I’m unsure if it can be taken over since it may be encrypted by Vivint? I do not know the code. So if it can be taken over, how would I reset for use with a new panel?

The Kwikset 888 Z-Wave lock is not listed as compatible with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ although it may be possible to learn it in. You would not need a code to learn in a z-wave lock per se, just how to access the z-wave exclusion/inclusion steps.

I assume I would be limited to a skybell doorbell camera? Are there other options?

The SkyBell Slim and SkyBell HD are currently the only compatible video doorbell options for Alarm.com. There should be a different one coming out soon-ish but details are scarce at this time. Currently, the SkyBells can both be streamed to the Qolsys panel and the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 is the only Alarm.com compatible panel that offers video to the panel at this time.

also assume I would be limited to alarm.com cameras? I plan on 2 wired outdoor cameras for now.

Correct. Only Alarm.com compatible cameras can be utilized. A list of those cameras can be found here. The ADC-723 would likely be a good fit.

I would also like to add a 3rd battery powered outdoor camera. I didn’t see an option on alarm.com. Any suggestions?

There are no battery powered only cameras through Alarm.com.

Plus I would like to add another front door z-wave Kwikset smartlock. Will this integrate with IQ Panel 2 plus?

Tested compatible Z-Wave Door Locks with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ can be found here.

Are there any threads or instructions for integrating what I currently have with a new panel, etc.? I want to do as much DIY as possible but open to a service tech doing some work if necessary.

Note that all service and support through Surety is handled online only.
Any questions you might have can always be directed here, where one of us can assist you.

Some things to note:

• Sensor programming groups list can be found here for the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+.

• The TAKE-345 can be learned into the Qolsys panel so you can continue to use non-life safety wired sensors currently in use. Keep in mind each sensor would need to be learned in as Loop 1 in programming .

• Many How To guides related to Alarm.com and security system integrations can be found here as well.

• Any Z-Wave home automation devices currently in use would need to be un-enrolled from the network prior to being added to the new one.

Just what I was looking for Tyler!
Thanks for the quick feedback & details. I have a lot to chew on here but sounds about like what I was expecting. I’m sure I will have more specific questions once I purchase some equipment & start the conversion, etc. Thanks again!

Not a problem, always happy to assist!