Video

I dont know if 3rd party non ACD camera are a bad word here but I would like to talk about it anyway if its not… So I am looking to add some cameras around my house… Internal and external… The internal I was thinking RC8021 its a simple camera I found for like $20 its WIFI/Cat-5… Question is will it work with ADC is there anything special that needs to be in place to work? I have found this camera to be one of the ones that ADT Pulse (2GIG) uses as one of their product offerings. Im assuming since its 2GIG that it could possibly work with ADC. In respect to outside I would prefer PoE cameras since I have a PoE switch in my basement powering other PoE devices already as well its a ton simpler to put up cat-5 than deal with 110v drops everywhere I want a camera. I can do either but prefer PoE. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Brian

PS. Surety you guys rock! I talked to my brother which has a current alarm.com subscription with some company in texas and pays like $30 more a month. I think I talked him into moving over to you…

Unfortunately, no, you would not be able to use a non-ADC IP camera with Alarm.com Cloud Video.

That camera model you mentioned is for a different service. There is no way to connect it to ADC as specific firmware is required.

For indoor Wifi, the ADC V521 is the most up to date model. Note this will require the Alarm.com Cloud Video service add-on.

As far as POE goes, the V820 and V720 ADC cameras are both POE (indoor and outdoor respectively).

Note that the wireless version of the outdoor bullet, V720W, is not POE compatible.

Surety you guys rock!

Always happy to hear :slight_smile:

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate Surety letting non-customer’s participate in these forums.

I use DLink WiFi video cameras and the free DLink cloud service and phone app in conjunction with my ADC security system. “In conjunction with” not “Integrated with”.

The DLink cameras trigger push notifications and send me emails when motion is detected. I can also view the cameras remotely any time I want. I have them mounted outside to monitor the perimeter of my home.

The one time my security system alarmed (falsely) and the monitoring agent called me, I was fairly certain the alarm was false because 1) I had not gotten any motion detected notifications and 2) I could look at the cameras and see no activity. I still went right home and met the police and troubleshot she system with my alarm company.

I think confirmation of an alarm is the best use of video monitoring, and you don’t need it “integrated” with your alarm system to do that.

PIR motion detectors are perfect for interior security alarm triggers.
I would not want to use video motion detection (or even exterior PIRs) to trigger an alarm. I get motion detect alerts from my video cameras all the time - especially at night when moths fly near the PIR camera or when the local fauna (cats, deer, bunnies) come through the yard. I haven’t found a sensitivity setting yet that will exclude a deer or an up-close moth and still pick up a human.

I have both the ADC and the DLink apps on my phone and, IMHO have the best of both worlds.

One of the big benefits of Integrated video service: wireless I/O triggers.

I/O triggers are typically your best bet for specialized recordings, using sensor activity to trigger recordings and separate alerts.

With an integrated system through ADC, you can use wireless sensors to trigger those recordings, no need to wire the I/O terminals, and receive very specific, targeted recording schedules.

I would not want to use video motion detection (or even exterior PIRs) to trigger an alarm

Alarm.com camera VMD does not trigger ADC security panel alarms. No, you would not want that in any realistic scenario because VMD does not discriminate the cause for perceived motion.

I haven’t found a sensitivity setting yet that will exclude a deer or an up-close moth and still pick up a human.

Most of the lower to average cost surveillance VMD solutions I’ve seen rely too much on sensitivity alone when setting VMD parameters. One of the great things about ADC VMD is having full control over the view windows, which are free drawn rectangles. Many other solutions take a grid approach, with defined sections enabled or disabled for detection. It doesn’t allow a very customized window.

VMD is best used when windows are drawn as sort of trip-wires, very long thin windows through which your anticipated motion (humans walking, etc.) must occur. Sensitivity is important, but equally important is setting the right target size in relation to the window you’ve selected. A long thin window which a person will largely fill all at once when walking through can be paired with a high target size, allowing easier filtering of unwanted objects.

If you can, try to make your windows narrower and the necessary size of the object larger.

Up close insects are a pretty common cause of false recordings though, and very difficult to avoid.

? I have found this camera to be one of the ones that ADT Pulse (2GIG) uses as one of their product offering

2GIG only supports ADC, Telguard/Telular, Uplink backends, and none of those, as far as I am aware, support or work with Total Connect or the Honeywell/ADT Pulse.

Even though ADT merged with Protection1 (2GIG/ADC dealer), I was not aware that the ADT Pulse (proprietary system using Total Connect (as opposed to alarm.com backend), was using rebranded 2GIG equipment, or that it was even compatible with the ADC cameras, or even the 2GIg branded ADC cameras.

Has this changed?

Has this changed?

Not that I am aware. The model of camera mentioned above is a DMP cam I think. RC8021.

It is not 2GIG. There may just be some confusion on that.

There is no overlap between ADC Cam Models and other provider services that I am aware.