Video clips stopped saving

Hello,

It appears that as of 5 days ago, my video clips stopped saving. The live video feeds on all three cameras are working fine. I have not reached my saved video limit (only at 394 of 1000). I have not changed any settings recently. Any ideas?

Todd

If you notice recording schedules fail the first steps would be to check your upload limit, since you are fine there, the next step to try would be a power cycle of each camera. Does that resolve the issue?

If it doesn’t, try re-saving the recording schedules in Alarm.com. Does that resolve the issue?

Thank you, Jason, power cycling them solved the problem. But this raises another issue. This is the second time this has happened in 2 months. In May when this happened you said it was very rare for something like this to happen. We have not had power surges/thunderstorms or anything that is likely to upset our connections. Any ideas?

Rule and schedule activation can be affected by network traffic/signal loss as supervision and various commands are lost. All of the cams show some supervision failures in the past 30 days.

Note that the camera labeled “Driveway” has a very poor wifi signal rating at the moment, but “Front Porch” has the lowest supervision success rate.

To get a better idea, is the location a home that is used daily? I do not see evidence of recording for one of the cams for much longer than the 5 days, and another a few days prior. The Driveway camera appears to be the one which provided the most recent recordings.

Jason,

Yes, the house is used daily, LOL. We don’t use the front porch as our primary entrance. Delivery people do leave packages there. The front porch camera is about 12 feet from the wireless router. Like you said, it has a decent signal so I’m not sure why it drops off so often. The Driveway camera is about 25 feet or so from the router. I think I’m going to get a wifi extender. The layout would lend itself to one placed about 10 feet from the router and midway between those two cameras. Do you think that’s worth trying?

It is never a bad idea to boost the signal, although with the IP Cams, especially older models like the V720W, be sure that the access point used for the camera has a unique SSID and Password otherwise the cameras may commonly swap between the two points.

Hi Jason,

We are continuing to have problems with our outdoor ADC-V720W cameras. Specifically, they are dropping off and have to be power cycled every few days now. Here’s what I’ve tried to fix the problem:
I placed a wifi extender in an appropriate location where both cameras would have full signal strength. As you said I used a unique SSID and password.
I replaced my modem (which I wanted to anyway to take advantage of docsis 3.1).
I tried a new router which boosted the signal (which I am now confident is not the cause of the issue) but that didn’t help either.
I assigned each camera a static internal IP address to make sure there were no conflicts.

The one notable thing here is that my indoor HD-100 camera has not had an issue through any of this.

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a hard reset of each camera because of the hassel of getting to them where they are mounted. Is that worth trying?

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a hard reset of each camera because of the hassel of getting to them where they are mounted. Is that worth trying?

Before doing so it may be better to just Delete and re-learn those cameras in Alarm.com without fully resetting.

As a test, try deleting one of the cameras, wait ten minutes, then go back into the Add new camera wizard through video settings and re-sync the camera to your account. Then you can recreate the schedules and test. Any change after re-syncing the cam?

By the way, it actually looks like they are disconnected at this time.

Sorry, Jason. I left this off the list of things I’ve already tried. Yes, I know they are currently disconnected now. They weren’t yesterday evening. I just thought you should see it before I power cycle… again.

Oh. Is it relevant that I went into my router setup and they show as connected to the internet anyway? The driveway cam with 3 of 4 bars of signal and the front porch with 4 of 4.

Yes, I know they are currently disconnected now. They weren’t yesterday evening. I just thought you should see it before I power cycle… again.

Did you manually power down the cameras or disconnect them from the network? Or are you saying that in addition to recording schedules failing the live view is falling off now as well? Originally you stated you could still view live video.

Yes the live view is falling off. I forgot that was a different post of mine here. The recording schedules haven’t been a problem in a while.

Yes the live view is falling off. I forgot that was a different post of mine here. The recording schedules haven’t been a problem in a while.

Thank you for clarifying. Those would be two separate issues and causes. Roughly how long are you able to view the cameras before the connection is lost? Is there a pattern?

Try going into video device settings and instead of pulling DHCP from the router, assign a static ip address to the two cameras.

You can do so by going into Video Device Info and selecting Advanced Network Setup. Choose to use fixed IP address. Assign a valid IP address and copy the rest of the fields from the Video Device Network Information section above it.

Right now they seem to hold for about 2-4 days before being lost. I don’t see a specific pattern but often I notice the problem in the morning after they worked fine the previous day. I will make the changes and let you know how it does.

Jason,
I’m about 4-5 days into this solution and so far, so good. Thank you.