Vera and 2GIG

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I recently installed a 2GIG control panel in my house and added it to my Vera as a secondary. I am able to see all of the devices I have on the Vera in the 2GIG Panel (I can turn on and off devices). However, when I login to ADC…I don’t see any of the devices. I’ve clicked on the refresh device list, but nothing.

Is there something I’m missing? How is it that I can see the devices of the Vera locally on the 2GIG Panel but can’t see them on ADC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have Zwave Automation services through Alarm.com? If you have basic interactive for example, Zwave services are an add-on. If you are a suretyDIY customer you can see your current service plan in your profile subscriptions.

If you do have the service features enabled, first I would suggest to check question 79 in programming on your 2Gig panel and verify that you have it set to option (3).

Next run a cell test to kick start communication. Adding a large number of devices really quickly (like when adding 2Gig as a secondary to a controller that already has all the devices) tends to have trouble updating on ADC if your signal is not 100%

I am wanting to hook up the Vera to my 2gig as well. Do you have access to the door locks through vera as well? I use the door locks to unlock the door as well as disarm the panel. I also use the door sensors to turn lights on and off. Would I also be able to do that solely through the Veta? Last time I checked this was not possible.

Yes, you would have access to compatible door locks through ADC.

Vera would not be able to create scenes or triggers based on devices it cannot speak to (345 mhz 2Gig sensors) so no, if I understand the question, you cannot do that with Vera. You may be able to add Zwave sensors to accomplish this, but they are not compatible with 2Gig, and turning lights on based on sensors is easy to accomplish with what you have (through ADC)

Perhaps the new 2GIG panel coming out Q1.2015 will be able to do this. It has WiFi so hopes are up. I have no other information about the new panel other than it is full touch screen.

Thanks for the reply/answer to my question Jason,

Here is a follow up. I do have the emPower plan, this is what I see on my account when I login.

“Your service plan includes emPower, but it doesn’t look like you have any devices.”

I also checked option 79 and I see that option 3 is selected, which enables web control.

I really don’t know what it could be, I even removed the 2GIG from the Vera and did the whole process again (removed it from Vera, added it back into Vera, repaired Veras nodes, and ran a cell test on the 2GIG). I can see all my devices on the 2GIG, but I still can’t access them on ACD.

I called ADC earlier today and they said that you can’t have the 2GIG as a secondary and also have web access to the devices. I don’t know how true that may be since I see people here who has this working.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

There is a lot of confusion when you contact support lines regarding the interoperability of third party devices. Zwave was created for this kind of interaction, but most companies in the industry hold on to the vestigial notion of proprietary systems, expecting customers to just use whatever products they offer and be happy with it. It is awfully difficult to maintain compatibility with third party equipment when firmware updates are a part of life. (This mentality will inevitably change. It has to) ADC is definitely challenging the idea of proprietary systems, as they want to integrate more and more services, but they do not focus much on local automation scenes, but streamlined control and remote features.

Point being: Yes, yes you can absolutely do what you are trying to do. I have personally done it. So have some of our customers.

No support line really exists for this sort of thing though, tech support will generally not support something they view as experimental.

If you are a suretyDIY customer, I would recommend emailing customerservice@suretyDIY.com and we can take a closer look.

If you are not a suretyDIY customer, your dealer will have access to some advanced sync commands to see if the devices will show up.

What all devices do you have controllable via your 2Gig panel?
What firmware version are you running on your 2Gig panel?

I have two (2) in-wall-dimmer switches, one (1) dimmable lamp module, and one (1) CT-100 thermostat. I can control them through the 2GIG Panel and also the Vera, however they don’t show in ADC as previously stated.

I’m running 1.10.1 on the 2GIG Panel. I see there is a 1.8 version firmware…what would be the benefits of upgrading? I believe I may have to pay.

If by 1.8 firmware you mean the Vera unit, the firmware in that case should be irrelevant, as long as it sent 2Gig the device list you should be fine.

One thing you can try, just to rule out other signalling issues and such, is to reset your 2Gig Go!Control Zwave controller, remove one of the devices from your Vera network, and learn it in separately to your Go!Control (when your Go!Control is set as its own network). Run a cell test and wait for a little bit to see if the single device shows on ADC.

I will restate from the above post though, the best thing to do at this time is contact your dealer as they have advanced controls which will allow troubleshooting. So, of course if you are a suretyDIY customer, please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com.

Bringing out another old thread here… Jason, above you replied to davidsimmonds in regards to the Vera system communicating with door sensors. I understand that the window/door sensors all operate on a separate Honeywell/2GIG RF protocol and cannot be monitored or controlled by a Z-Wave controller such as the Vera. If everything is added correctly (lights) to the Vera controller and the 2GIG panel is added as a secondary controller, is it possible to creates rules/scenes locally in vera but also on ADC. For example, set a local lighting scene for my living room based on light sensors but also set ADC to turn on all/certain lights in the event of an alarm or certain door sensors being opened?

Also, since this thread is originally a Vera and 2GIG I would also like to hear anyones input on the new VeraEdge being integrated with 2GIG. It sounds like the Veralite and Vera3 were all fairly simple but has anyone had any experience with the new VeraEdge? Any easier? more reliable? better integration and recognition through ADC?

Thanks everyone.

If everything is added correctly (lights) to the Vera controller and the 2GIG panel is added as a secondary controller, is it possible to creates rules/scenes locally in vera but also on ADC.

Yes. That’s the goal of the integration. Dedicated Z-wave controllers will have a more robust local scene control than the Alarm panel.

It sounds like the Veralite and Vera3 were all fairly simple but has anyone had any experience with the new VeraEdge? Any easier? more reliable? better integration and recognition through ADC?

No experience directly with edge. However, there really isn’t a gradient of quality as far as integration. Either the devices get shared in a way with the 2GIG panel that lets ADC see them, or they don’t, typically.

This is what I would like to do:

I want all of the lights connected to the Vera and any other zwave devices.

I use Kwikset locks on my doors that will disarm the 2gig alarm system as well as unlock the doors. I assume that I cannot have that controlled by Vera? It would be great if that were possible.

When the front door opens the interior entry lights go on and turn off after 15 minutes. That is activated by the 2gig door sensor. Can Vera also control that?

I have some of the motion sensors turn on lights when someone goes down the stairs. Can Vera be in control of that? The motion sensors are 2gig and currently controlled by 2gig.

I use Kwikset locks on my doors that will disarm the 2gig alarm system as well as unlock the doors. I assume that I cannot have that controlled by Vera? It would be great if that were possible.

When the front door opens the interior entry lights go on and turn off after 15 minutes. That is activated by the 2gig door sensor. Can Vera also control that?

I have some of the motion sensors turn on lights when someone goes down the stairs. Can Vera be in control of that? The motion sensors are 2gig and currently controlled by 2gig.

No (or yes, depending on what you mean).

Vera can control the Zwave devices with the automation you create locally with it, scenes, triggers, etc., but it cannot use input from devices that communicate only with the 2GIG panel, like 2GIG door sensors and 2GIG PIR, and Vera cannot control or be controlled by Alarm.com.

Adding Vera as a primary controller allows you to have two parallel automation systems making use of the same Z-wave devices.

If your questions simply mean can Vera control the Z-wave device Alarm.com is controlling…yes. They would control it independently with different triggers.

So I can have the 2gig panel control the lights mentioned as I have already configured. But I could also have the Vera control the lights as well? Here is a better scenario:

The stair lights are controlled by the 2gig panel using the motion sensors. This is all good. In my theatre room I have the lights controlled by the Vera when Play, Pause, and Stop are activated by Kodi on my OSMC unit (Raspberry Pi 2). I would also like to have the same lights in the stairs to go on when the theatre lights go on as the scene dictates by Vera. I would like them to go off when the theatre lights go off as the scene dictates by Vera. Is this what you mean by parallel automation thus making this scenario possible?

I thought that if I make the 2gig a secondary controller that I lose all control of the lights and other items that I already have configured.

Yes, they could both control in my experience. The Zwave devices are still all technically part of one single network, but Alarm.com only has control of the secondary controller (2GIG). You will need to recreate rules in Alarm.com because your devices will need to be removed from your 2GIG panel, learned into Vera, then 2GIG set as secondary to Vera. This pushes the device list to the 2GIG panel.

So you will lose saved schedules/rules, and a new device list will populate in Alarm.com. You can then recreate rules.

But an Alarm.com rule could turn on lights due to a sensor activity, and Vera could then turn it off and on from an entirely different trigger.

Quick question, so resetting the 2gig panel will not delete the 2gig door/window sensors that alarm.com installed, just whatever zwave devices i had previously added correct?

If you are referring to Services - Zwave - Wrench Icon - Advanced Toolbox - Reset Controller, yes, that’s correct.

I am sure these questions may have been answered in some form or another but I cannot find the exact information and there may possibly be new hardware or software to support my need.

1. Can you control and monitor a 2GIG panel from anything other than Alarm.com?

2. Can the 345MHZ window and door sensors or hardwired sensors (door or motion) be seen on a VeraPlus by adding hardware or software? I do hear that a VeraSecure may be out soon but do not know the capabilities.
    Thanks a bunch for any info you can provide.

Can you control and monitor a 2GIG panel from anything other than Alarm.com?

Not while using Alarm.com.

A couple other back-end services exist through associated dealers, but the panel cannot communicate with multiple simultaneously.

You also cannot control the security functions of a 2GIG Panel with a Z-wave controller.

Can the 345MHZ window and door sensors or hardwired sensors (door or motion) be seen on a VeraPlus by adding hardware or software? I do hear that a VeraSecure may be out soon but do not know the capabilities.

Not that I am aware. 345 Mhz spectrum is used by Honeywell and 2GIG sensors. Non-Honeywell or 2GIG controllers would not employ a radio to make use of them.

Jason, Thanks for the quick reply. By saying “back-end services exist through associated dealers” is this via cellular that the dealer utilizes or is it possible to get local control via a cell phone app? Alarm.com will be out of the picture for me.