V721W Intermittent Connection Issues

I have one 2GIG HD100, and 2 V721W Cameras on my alarm system currently.

I’m having issues with my latest edition - a V721W Camera.

Initially adding the camera, I had no issues. Upon setting it up in Access Point mode, I have approximately 70-80% signal at the camera (router located in the basement). While I have access to a repeater and could install, I figured this is enough signal for a connection (my other V721W sees about the same).

After adding the camera, I had a solid 1-2 months of constant connection. My other cameras which are on the same floor as my “problem” camera, have always been great…never a connection hiccup.

Couple weeks ago I started having connection issues where my camera would loose connection. “Video Device is no responding to remote requests”. I’d unplug the camera, plug it back in and connection would restore. It got to the point where this was occurring rather frequently so I decided to delete the device out of my account, reset the camera and re-add it in.

Camera acted normal for a couple weeks, and it’s starting to occur again. What is weird is that my camera will drop out of connectivity in the morning, but by evening the camera will reconnect without any intervention by me. I don’t know what’s going on, as my other cameras (distance to router is pretty much the same) do not have this issue.

Thoughts?

I have approximately 70-80% signal at the camera (router located in the basement
Camera acted normal for a couple weeks, and it’s starting to occur again. What is weird is that my camera will drop out of connectivity in the morning, but by evening the camera will reconnect without any intervention by me. I don’t know what’s going on, as my other cameras (distance to router is pretty much the same) do not have this issue.

In general I would universally recommend never placing a router in the basement. It is the common place that ISP installers will place one if no house wiring exists unfortunately, but it can seriously affect quality.

Being convinced based on other devices on the network that it should work is often a trap of sorts. When trying to resolve an issue, especially an intermittent one, having a possible culprit like borderline signal strength makes it difficult to test other things.

Without access to the history we would not be able to see history of the signal quality and strength. I would recommend checking with your provider for a wireless signal status history on that cam, which can indicate whether the signal strength is similar day to day or if there are drops.

Here are some other things to consider, assuming it is not signal strength:

1. Just to verify: you do not already have a second access point on the network somewhere, correct? Do you only have the one router?

We have in the past noticed issues if multiple access points can be reached by one camera, where it will occasionally attempt to connect to the further point. A power cycle usually temporarily fixes it.

If you do add an extra access point for the network, it is best to create a unique SSID and key for that access point and assign those credentials to only those cameras which should connect to that device.

1. Have you checked on the Video Device Info page whether a newer firmware version is available for that model of camera? If so it would be good to update.

2. What model of router are you using? Do the drops coincide with any increased connectivity of devices locally?

3. Does this issue always and only happen in the morning? Could you give a short description of its location? I’m curious if condensation might be a factor.

In general I would universally recommend never placing a router in the basement. It is the common place that ISP installers will place one if no house wiring exists unfortunately, but it can seriously affect quality.

Being convinced based on other devices on the network that it should work is often a trap of sorts. When trying to resolve an issue, especially an intermittent one, having a possible culprit like borderline signal strength makes it difficult to test other things.

I have the ability to move the router up to the first floor of the house, as a have a network drop in my office. The router resides downstairs mostly due to my UPS I had there. However I have nothing else preventing me from moving it.

Without access to the history we would not be able to see history of the signal quality and strength. I would recommend checking with your provider for a wireless signal status history on that cam, which can indicate whether the signal strength is similar day to day or if there are drops.

I’ll shoot them an email and see. Slowly waiting for that contract to end so I can switch on over to you guys. Going on less than a year now.

1. Just to verify: you do not already have a second access point on the network somewhere, correct? Do you only have the one router?

No, no second access point currently. I have the ability to add one but had some odd internet connectivity issues when I did awhile ago (prior to this camera install)

2. Have you checked on the Video Device Info page whether a newer firmware version is available for that model of camera? If so it would be good to update.

Firmware appears to be up to date: IB8331-ALAM-0100d6

Interesting to note, both the HD100 and other V721W have signals of 99%. I’ve really never really looked into these signals as a source of trouble shooting.

3. What model of router are you using? Do the drops coincide with any increased connectivity of devices locally?

Using an ASUS RT-N56u. Drops usually occur while I’m away from the house (at least when I get notified).

4. Does this issue always and only happen in the morning? Could you give a short description of its location? I’m curious if condensation might be a factor.

Yes, appears the camera tends to lose signal during the AM timeframe and recover in the PM. The camera is located on the west side of the house, however it is not directly exposed to elements as it is covered and never sees direct sunlight/rain…etc

I have the ability to move the router up to the first floor of the house, as a have a network drop in my office. The router resides downstairs mostly due to my UPS I had there. However I have nothing else preventing me from moving it.

If that is the case, moving it closer would be a good test to see if this is just signal or if it is environmental/hardware related.

I’ll shoot them an email and see. Slowly waiting for that contract to end so I can switch on over to you guys. Going on less than a year now.

Not a problem. I cannot say what another provider will do regarding testing, but this is more of a suggestion that the tool is available and might be able to hint at a pattern.

Interesting to note, both the HD100 and other V721W have signals of 99%. I’ve really never really looked into these signals as a source of trouble shooting.

I assumed this would be the case, at least that the other two would be higher. I would hazard a guess and say it is likely just signal strength. I would have reserved optimism if you test by moving the router.

Yes, appears the camera tends to lose signal during the AM timeframe and recover in the PM. The camera is located on the west side of the house, however it is not directly exposed to elements as it is covered and never sees direct sunlight/rain…etc

Humidity alone would be enough if there is a defect such as if the housing is not sealed appropriately. Typically evidence of condensation, even small amounts, would be visible through the clear lens cover. Worth a look if a higher signal strength does not resolve.

Jason,

What internet down/up is usually recommended to maintain a constant connection without issues?

I have 60/5 internet, but right now I think my ISP is dropping the ball. Did a couple speed tests this morning and extremes were from 11.07 down to 28.82 down and 5.86 up to 1.91 up.

Is it possible for only 1 or 2 cameras to be able to connect and if more devices try to connect to the network it simply is dropped out?

Upload speed is the important measurement, and an upload speed of 2 mbps up should cover 3 cameras. Of course it depends on what else is on the network, but I would say a minimum of just under 1 mbps upload, and ADC only recommends .25 mbps per device.

Is it possible for only 1 or 2 cameras to be able to connect and if more devices try to connect to the network it simply is dropped out?

This is difficult to say, would be determined by your router and ISP. If your ISP is spotty though and upstream speeds are being interrupted, that may account for the issues. In general though, I would expect all cameras to be impacted, not one. If it is only one camera, I would focus on LAN not WAN.