Utilizing a 2GIG-SDS1-345 Smoke Ring

Hi,

I am currently shopping for security system and monitoring service and came across your website. As I am learning and trying to understand how 2GIG systems work I puzzled with 2GIG-SDS1-345 functionality.

When it is hardwired to the series of interlinked smoked detectors in the house, what does it do if the other detectors are smoke/CO combos and CO alarm gets triggered in one of them? Will that keep this unit silent or trigger an fire alarm? I do understand that fire alarm in other units would trigger fire alarm in this unit which then is reported to alarm.com

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to assist!

When it is hardwired to the series of interlinked smoked detectors in the house, what does it do if the other detectors are smoke/CO combos and CO alarm gets triggered in one of them?

The 2GIG-SDS1-345 is not compatible with Smoke/CO combination detectors or CO detectors in general. However, the 2GIG-FF345 FireFighter is compatible with both smoke and CO detectors. The 2GIG-FF345 will listen to the smoke, carbon or combination detector and transmit a signal to the control panel if the appropriate alarm cadence is detected.

I have downloaded the spec sheet and went to 2GIG page and do not see any mentions of CO detector compatibility. Does 2GIG-FF345 Firefighter listen to all wired combination (smoke/CO) detectors and is able to determine whether smoke or CO alarm is triggered? Is it wired to directly to one of interlinked units or acts as smoke detector by itself (not as CO)? How long has it been on the market and how reliable is it compared to SDS1-345?

have downloaded the spec sheet and went to 2GIG page and do not see any mentions of CO detector compatibility.

If you are referring to the spec sheet found here, this spec sheet appears to be outdated.

Does 2GIG-FF345 Firefighter listen to all wired combination (smoke/CO) detectors and is able to determine whether smoke or CO alarm is triggered?

Documentation included with the 2GIG-FF345 FireFighter outlines using the device as an audio detector for Smoke, CO and Combination detectors. It is able to send the appropriate signal to the main panel based on the cadence (either CO or Smoke). It is programmed as two separate sensor zones.

Is it wired to directly to one of interlinked units or acts as smoke detector by itself (not as CO)?

Neither. It is an audio detector that is mounted near one of the currently installed smoke detectors. The device is constantly listening for the smoke detector’s alarm cadence. Once the cadence is “heard” by the FireFighter, it will send the appropriate signal to the security panel.

Ok thank you for clarifying this! Do you know if this unit has been tested with Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors?

Ok thank you for clarifying this! Do you know if this unit has been tested with Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors?

No, we are not aware if any testing has been done specifically on that unit. If there are differences in the Nest Protect’s sounder vs a standard detector, there may be concerns, but I have not used one to be able to confirm at this time.