Using 2GIG-TILT1-345

I’ve been thinking about the 2GIG-TILT1-345 Tilt sensor and it seems that its application is intended for a garage door.

I’ve been trying to think of a reason why I’d want to use one of these because even if I use it as an entry/exit 2 I would not want to have a time limit to get the system disarmed just because I opened the garage door.

I did have a thought about using it as a “door left open” type of sensor.

Is it possible to program this sensor so it would not trigger an alarm, but, trigger an alert message if a “door left open” condition remained for a set period of time after the system was armed? I’d be interested in setting a condition of say if the door is open more than 5 minutes after the system is armed it would send an alert.

It might be useful in this case to be able to send a command to close the garage door too. I have a Ring Doorbell so if there was a question of whether or not I should send a close command I could check the Ring Doorbell.

I would recommend never using a tilt sensor as an alarm-generating sensor type. Historically, they are prone to false activation from wind/vibration, so unless you have an extremely sturdy garage door, I would avoid that.

However, they are perfectly viable for what you are referencing, and that is the common usage. On a 2GIG system you would set up the RF Sensor Type as (23) No Response Type.

That zone type will never generate an alarm, but can be used with sensor activity monitoring in Alarm.com for notifications such as real time open alerts or sensor left open after a period of time.

If you need to control the door, that would require a separate product. A Z-wave or MyQ door controller would be needed depending on compatibility. What model overhead do you have?