Upgrade panel firmware

I bought a new cellular module from Surety, but my panel has too old firmware to recognize it. How do I push a firmware upgrade over the old module?

Happy to assist. In order for the panel to recognize the 4G LTE module, it needs to have its firmware updated first to 1.19.3.1. This can be done via an OTA update only if the 3G module is installed in the panel and is communicating

It looks like there are a couple issues that we need to address first before we can update the alarm panel’s firmware.

It appears that you recently set up a brand new subscription through Alarm.com using a 4G LTE module, is this the module recently purchased through Surety?

Do you intend to have two separate Alarm.com accounts at the same service address?

I didn’t intend to have two services, just need to upgrade the 3G to 4G. The new subscription is the 4G LTE module I recently purchased through Surety. Can you send the firmware to the panel, and when can I just place the 4G module in the panel? As that site is a half hour drive from my office each way.

In order for commands to be sent to the panel and update the firmware, the 3G module needs to be installed and communicating. Is it currently installed in the panel?

Yes it is installed, and communicating.

Great! Commands have been sent at this time to update the firmware. During this time, do not power down the system or enter programming mode. Doing so can damage the system.

The update can take up to 24 hours to complete, but is typically much quicker then that.

You can confirm locally by navigating to Security > Menu > Toolbox > Enter Master or Installer Code > Version

Once the firmware is updated, the panel will be compatible with the 4G LTE module.

However, the new account that the 4G LTE module is tied to will need to be cancelled (modules can only be linked to one ADC account at a time.) before you can swap to the new module. Would you like me to cancel the new subscription?

Sure, can you cancel the subscription? I won’t change out the module until after Monday next week, so the 3G module will need to keep working with the alarm system until the module is swapped out.

I am happy to do that, Once the new subscription that was purchased on 2/4/2021 Subscription 513731, is cancelled, the 4G LTE module associated with it will be unregistered. This will delete the new Alarm.com account as well.

Your original subscription and Alarm.com account will remain active with the 3G module tied to it.

Once the firmware on your panel is upgraded, you can switch to the new 4G LTE module.

Once the panel’s firmware is updated and you are ready to begin using the 4G LTE module, disarm the panel then power it down completely. power supply first, then the internal battery. Remove the 3G module and install the 4G LTE module (using both included antenna). Once installed, power the panel back up battery first then power supply.

Next, login to your Surety account and access the System Manager feature and swap to the 4G LTE module by entering its 15-digit IMEI number. Afterwards, you will run a cell test to start communication again.

You should likely include these instruction with the new 4G modules people are buying:

Check you system firmware revision level by navigating to Security > Menu > Toolbox > Enter Master or Installer Code > Version

If your system is below 1.19.3.1 then please request a firmware upgrade from Surety before replacing the cellular module. This will take up to 24 hours after the command has been sent. You can confirm locally by navigating to Security > Menu > Toolbox > Enter Master or Installer Code > Version

Your original subscription and Alarm.com account will remain active with the 3G module tied to it.

Once the firmware on your panel is upgraded, you can switch to the new 4G LTE module.

Once the panel’s firmware is updated and you are ready to begin using the 4G LTE module, disarm the panel then power it down completely. power supply first, then the internal battery. Remove the 3G module and install the 4G LTE module (using both included antenna). Once installed, power the panel back up battery first then power supply.

Next, login to your Surety account and access the System Manager feature and swap to the 4G LTE module by entering its 15-digit IMEI number. Afterwards, you will run a cell test to start communication again.

Apologies for the confusion, steps should have been sent to the email address on file when the new 4G LTE module was purchased.

The new Alarm.com account subscription has been cancelled and the payment refunded. Depending on your payment method, this may take a few business days to post to your applicable account.

If there is anything else we can assist you with at this time, please let us know.

Is there a way to check the firmware remotely?

You can see how it is reporting via the System Manager feature in your Surety account. This will be located in the My Alarm System tab.

Currently your system is reporting 1.19.3.1 in Alarm.com so the updated has finished.

I replaced the communication module yesterday and it passed the cellular test, but I got an email that the panel has not communicated for 24 hours.

So the 4G LTE module has been installed in the panel, correct?

It looks like you havent done the final step, which is to login to your Surety account and access the System Manager feature and swap to the 4G LTE module by entering its 15-digit IMEI number.

Afterwards, you will run a cell test to start communication again.

I’d have to drive 30 minutes to the site and 30 minutes back to get the IMEI. Would you guys happen to have the IMEI so I don’t have to drive out to where the panel is?

No unfortunately we do not have the IMEI number. It is printed on the box it came in and on the module itself.

Additionally, with the Installer Code you can click on the logo in the lower right hand corner of the screen to access the Installer Toolbox. From there click on Radio Status. The line Serial Number contains the 15-digit cellular module.

After swapping the module number in your Surety account, you will need to run a cell test at the panel to resume communication.

I put the IMEI number in (from the box it came in). Do I need to run another cell test now? I ran a cell test when I was there yesterday at about 12:30.

I can confirm that the module number was updated successfully but a cell test will still need to be run at the panel to resume communication.

ok, sounds good. I will head out there today. :slight_smile: