Upgrade GC3 to 4G or Upgrade to Qolsys IQ4?

I’ve been a Surety Customer since 2016, when I upgraded my GC2 (vinint) panel to the GC3. Just before the pandemic I purchased 2 (SP2-GC3) secondary panels. Unfortunately they are still sitting new in box - since I began working from home and rarely left the house (or used the alarm). Now that I’m returning to the office more frequently, I’m looking to get my system back up and running.

My GC3 has an outdated 3G card, and I can’t decide if I should just get updated 4G card, or if I should upgrade and get the Qolsys IQ4 with 345mhz (to adopt my numerous 2gig sensors). I’d like to get everyone’s thoughts on a few questions:

1. Do you think it is worth upgrading to the Qolsys IQ4 from the GC3 (given the 400-ish dollar cost of the new panel)?
  2. Any recommendations for what to do with the two new in box SP2’s to recoup some cost if I go with the Qolsys?
  3. Does Surety give any incentive or discount to customers that are upgrading from older 2gig equipment to Qolsys - instead of just upgrading to the 4G card?
  4. Are there any other factors I should be considering in my decision that I have not discussed here?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Does Surety give any incentive or discount to customers that are upgrading from older 2gig equipment to Qolsys - instead of just upgrading to the 4G card?

The incentive for either the alarm panel or the module upgrade is the same, beyond continued cellular functionality past 2022, each module or panel purchased from our store comes with a free month of service, which we would apply to your current subscription upon processing your order.

Are there any other factors I should be considering in my decision that I have not discussed here?

A big one is the discontinuation of the GC3. It has been discontinued for some time now, and newer panels see exclusive feature and integration development from Alarm.com and the panel manufacturers.

If you are happy with your GC3, then you could just upgrade the module and keep using it. There is no significant benefit of course if the GC3 already covers everything you want the system to do.

If you want access to PowerG sensor compatibility for enhanced security and range for new sensors, if you want video on the panel, if you want to control MyQ garage devices from the panel, run Alarm.com scenes from the panel etc., the IQ Panel 4 would be the way to go.

It is easier to program than older 2GIG panels, with more robust diagnostic capabilities, but if you do not plan on adding much to the system there is limited value in that as a deciding factor.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to the Qolsys IQ4 from the GC3 (given the 400-ish dollar cost of the new panel)?

Personally, when the IQ Panel 2+ was made available, I swapped out my GC2.

Any recommendations for what to do with the two new in box SP2’s to recoup some cost if I go with the Qolsys?

Those were discontinued quite a while before the panel was, but I think they are hard to find so you might be able to sell them on ebay.