Unable to get master installer code

I have a 2gig panel from a local installer that partners with Brinks security. They gave me a runaround when I asked them about their no-contract $19.99 offer similar to Surety’s that they advertise as long as I have my own equipment. Since I already had a 3 year contract with them that was almost a year ago I thought they would agree to move me over to the “no-contract” monthly rate, but they are pretending to act like they don’t offer that, even though the salesman 3-4 years ago said I could do that.

Anyway, I’m not longer interested in doing business with people like this, even if I managed to work things out with them and want to move over the Surety completely.

I did email Surety support a while back ago and they informed me that I’d need a master installer code to access the panel and configure it for Surety. Unfortunately, it looks like the dealer had changed the codes from the default one and I’m skeptical they will give it to me. Is there anything I can do about this?

Are there any additional steps to get Surety to work with my system? I put in the serial number on their website and it was confirmed that my system was compatible, but I do want to make sure I know what I’m getting into. I don’t want to do a lot of troubleshooting with my existing equipment. I have the main 2gig panel, a secondary panel near the garage, and all the sensors for the doors/windows, plus a motion detector. The whole system works off of a cellular connection, also installed by the local dealer.

To clarify, the Master Code and the Installer Code are two different codes

The Master Code is user code #1, associated with the primary account user in Alarm.com. This is likely the code you use to disarm as the owner.

The Installer Code gets into installation configuration menus and is needed for adding sensors, etc.

You need one or the other to get started. The Master Code can initiate the cell test required during activation.

After getting activated with us you can reset the installer code remotely through our website.

Thank you for clarifying that. Is there a way to confirm if the code used to disarm is the Master Code before I try activation?

Since all the sensors have been pre-installed, would I have to do anything after activating the new service? I did see the sensor programming guide earlier and I think I can handle that, but I just wanted to know ahead of time if all the current settings would be wiped away or not. I’m assuming I wouldn’t have to rewire anything?

Is there a way to confirm if the code used to disarm is the Master Code before I try activation?

On the panel, Security > Menu > Toolbox > enter your code. Scroll using the arrows, do you find Cell Phone Test option?

Since all the sensors have been pre-installed, would I have to do anything after activating the new service? I did see the sensor programming guide earlier and I think I can handle that, but I just wanted to know ahead of time if all the current settings would be wiped away or not. I’m assuming I wouldn’t have to rewire anything?

No, activation does not affect your panel programming and your sensors would remain the same. Your panel would report your device list to your new Alarm.com account after activating and getting communication started.

Yep, my disarm code worked for that. I was able to see the Cell Phone Test option.

I’m getting started with cancelling with Brinks right now. It will be 30 days after I send the documents that it will be officially cancelled. Will I have to do anything to confirm that they will un-register the communicator? Even though the security is handled by Brinks, I’m able to control my panel using alarm.com. It was originally setup with alarm.com, but the local dealer switched over to Brinks. Will I have to confirm if the device is still registered with either alarm.com or Brinks once my cancellation is complete? Has the Surety team dealt with customers who have had problems with alarm companies not un-registering equipment for those that cancelled?

Thanks for the help so far!

I cannot speak for how any other dealer would handle a cancellation process, but from a functional standpoint in Alarm.com for the dealer it couldn’t be simpler. They simply need to delete the Alarm.com account. The module is then available for registration with another dealer as long as it is 4G.

In some cases users have had trouble, yes, it depends on the dealer and the circumstance of their contract usually.

Please be sure to reference the guide regarding 4G vs 3G modules:

Once your service is cancelled you can check registration status and get started at the page below!