Unable to add cameras to account/stuck at firmware upgrade

Hello fellow Suretyians!

I have an interesting issue that I haven’t seen yet on this forum with a resolution.

I bought four ADC-V520IR cameras, in addition to the one V520IR and V520 already installed on my system. This is a Surety Cam only account with 8 possible cameras. So far, i’m planning on having 6 cameras attached.

Out of the four ADC-V520IR cameras I purchased, only ONE successfully updated the firmware, and paired to the account. The other three are stuck at 0% and have been for the past 24 hours.

I was emailing support, they removed one of the cameras, I factory reset it again, and it is still showing 0% with no movement.

These three problematic cameras are former vivint cameras, connected via Ethernet and their power brick through a switch and to my router. Having it direct connected to the router does not change anything. My other three are connected via PoE splitter that goes from 48v PoE to 12v1a and ethernet breakout. Two of the good ADC V520IR cameras are also former vivint cameras with the latest firmware. The ADC V520 is a plan Alarm.com branded camera with no night vision.

I’m looking for help or guidance to figure this out if possible. If not I may toss these three on eBay and try another set. This is the first time i’ve had this problem.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Here is what I see on my add device page, I forgot to add this earlier

When I added the other camera from this lot, it just came right up and updated it’s firmware and added to my system, even while these other three were stuck like this.

With them being older used cameras using Vivint it is hard to guarantee expectations. If the cameras have been power cycled and factory reset and are still responding this way it doesn’t sound good.

Have you tried the setup process through both the app and Alarm.com website? We have seen a difference in firmware application for at least the VDB770 between the two so it might be a good idea to try both if you have not.

Was it the first camera you tried to add which worked and updated?

unfortunately no, only using the website. I can’t get them to release from the website to try the app.

the working cam from this lot was the last camera I tried and the roughest, oldest looking one.

I’m not sure if you guys are able to clear out the cameras or not, maybe someone can clear them out and I can try the app.

I’m not sure if you guys are able to clear out the cameras or not, maybe someone can clear them out and I can try the app.

Unfortunately, we cannot directly remove them when they are in this state, only Alarm.com reps can. I have put in a request and as soon as they are removed, I will follow up here and you can try adding via the app.

thank you Tyler :slight_smile:

Those should be cleared out now. You might need to log out of ADC then back in before trying to pair them again.

Alright, I’m currently at work, but I will attempt again when I go home. I’ll report back what happens.

so, here’s what I tried…

I:

-logged out and in to adc
-factory reset the camera
-went to the adc app again
-selected the camera

…but still is stuck at 0%. I haven’t tried the other cameras, and I am slightly discouraged to do so now.

I honestly wonder if the firmware on these is too old to connect to the ADC server that lets them update firmware and that’s why i’m having so much trouble? When booting, the light on the front of the non-updated units are yellow, the updated unit from this lot is now red whereas it was yellow previously.

If it helps, during boot it goes…

-yellow for ~90sec
-red and green for ~10 sec
-quick flash yellow and green for ~3 sec
-blinks green three times then goes solid green

-removed-

I honestly wonder if the firmware on these is too old to connect to the ADC server that lets them update firmware and that’s why i’m having so much trouble?

The age is possibly an issue, as is the fact they are old Vivint cameras whose firmware is likely a slight variant. It is possible these have an older version than the one that worked. It has been 7 or 8 years I want to say since Vivint used ADC model cameras so it is possible the firmware on these is very old.

ADC stated there were no further troubleshooting steps in this case unfortunately.

well drat. I reckon I’ll be either throwing these back on ebay or something. I appreciate the assistance. If it’s possible, can you guys have alarm.com take the bum cameras back off of my account?

Those should be cleared out at this time

thank you Tyler. I appreciate your assistance, Jason, you as well. if I need anything else I will let you guys know.

I figured I would update this thread for anyone out there that may like to DIY cameras for your system…

there are in fact certain versions of the ADC-V520IR that are in fact locked at firmware 0100n7 because of vivint’s own proprietary system that does require their pinpad to use these cameras. I lucked out with the other camera out of my lot, but these other three are essentially duds without some sort of NVR/VMS software.

Potential DIY-er beware.

Thank you to Tyler and Jason for helping me with this a month ago now. :slight_smile:

there are in fact certain versions of the ADC-V520IR that are in fact locked at firmware 0100n7 because of vivint’s own proprietary system

Thank you for the follow up and confirmation! This is great info for future users having a similar problem.