Two Sensors Status Wrong on Alarm.com

For about a week I had a motion detector in the Activated state that never went idle, and a door in the Open state that never showed closed on the Alarm.com web page and Android app. Opening and closing the door didn’t change anything, nor did refreshing the web page(s) or app.

I don’t see a way on the 2GIG-Go panel itself to determine the state of the motion detector, but the panel definitely did know when the door was open or shut and displayed the correct status. The panel would also arm properly.

I finally Tampered with the motion sensor and that finally caused a state change to Idle to show on the web and app. But the door still says Open, and it’s not.

What to try next?

A motion detector and a door contact are represented far differently in Alarm.com and function in different ways. Troubleshooting should treat each separately.

For the Motion, note that due to their function, motion detectors do not have much use with real-time status. Looking at the status “Activated” does not mean that there is motion being reported currently, as this would be improbable to actually synchronize. “Activated” simply means the sensor has been triggered within the last hour. If there is a lot of activity at the location, it may show active most of the time. I see plenty of “idle” reports in history over the past few days though.

A door sensor on the other hand opens until it is closed, and open on ADC means it is currently open under normal circumstance.

The first thing I would check in a case of a door sensor reporting open is whether or not the panel displays the state correctly. You tested this and if the panel does see the status correctly, but does not update ADC when closed, there may be a signaling concern.

What is the signal strength on the Radio Status button in panel configuration? If you run a cell phone test at the panel and then tamper the door sensor, does this resolve the issue?

Thanks Jason.

I understand the difference between door and motion sensor reporting. We were away for four days, so the motion sensor should definitely have displayed the Idle state after the appropriate delay period. It didn’t. And after we came home I Activated it a couple times, and after significant time elapsed it still didn’t show as Idle. Following my Tamper over the weekend (where both Tamper and End Of Tamper were reported immediately) it did finally display the Idle state.

About 20 minutes ago I Tampered the door sensor. The Tamper was immediately (within a minute) reported on Alarm.dom, the EOT was immediately reported. The door is closed, the panel knows the door is closed, and Alarm.com now still shows it as Open. And after a page refresh.

The signal status on the Verizon CMDA card is 17/31. Slightly below my ‘normal’ but I think still within the acceptable range. (It’s green as well.)

I ran the cell test, and it took 5 tries to get a receipt and succeed. So it did succeed, but not right away. FYI the panel and antenna location has never changed from day one.

So, after a tamper and test, the door sensor still shows Open on the home page, and there’s no Door Closed event in the history. The last two Activity events for this door was a closure on 5/4 evening, and an open on 5/5 AM. It’s been shown open every since.

I ran the cell test, and it took 5 tries to get a receipt and succeed. So it did succeed, but not right away. FYI the panel and antenna location has never changed from day one.

It shouldn’t take 5 tries for a cell test to succeed, so this would certainly indicate an issue with signals syncing with ADC in some capacity.

I am seeing a fairly heavy delay on inbound signals, as well as a gap in status on the sensor in question. It is probably a good idea to power cycle the panel. We can send over a reboot command now, followed by some commands to help sync. Would that be ok to send at this time?

Sure, go ahead. If you want me to actually power the panel off and remove the battery for a cold start I can do that too.

I’ll be online here for the next hour.

Sure, go ahead. If you want me to actually power the panel off and remove the battery for a cold start I can do that too.

That may be best actually, as its difficult to say how long the command may take to process. A status request has been hanging for a few minutes here.

Go ahead and power cycle now by powering down fully for at least 2 full minutes. Then power up and give it a few minutes before running another cell test.

OK. I’ll post up with the results when I’m done. I’ll give the panel at least 5 minutes down.

Thanks.

OK. 5+ minutes of total dead time for the panel. Power on, battery reconnected, panel restart, signal status 18/31, cell test succeeded on the first try. Panel tamper, EOT, low battery message all on Alarm.com history.

Following all that the door status on Alarm.com was still open. But, I opened the door, heard the panel announcement, and closed the door. Now the Open/Close event is on Alarm.com history and the door status is closed.

Curious. What do you think?

It indicates that there is a likely issue with signal transmission possibly with signals hanging in the module communication with the panel.

We’ll have ADC send some commands to resync the system with the back-end and check signaling a little further. There do not appear to be any wide carrier issues in the area.

That’s fine. You can run whatever tests or send commands as you wish. I will be home the remainder of today so it’s not a problem for me.

Advise when you’re done and if you find anything you think is significant.

Thanks!

FYI, I had occasion to open the door for about 20 minutes. The Open registered. About 30 minutes ago I closed it. The panel knows it’s closed, but the web page still doesn’t. No Closed event in the log either.

Are you seeing any similar issue with other door sensors? Try opening and closing each sensor a few times. Wait 5 minutes between opening the same sensor again.

LOL, I’m a step ahead.

Another door sensor that I’ve used in the last 90 minutes has been opened and closed three times. No record in the activity, but the panel knew about all of them. (I could hear the announcements and the panel status was always correct.)

Also, I activated the motion detector about 45 minutes ago, and it still hasn’t gone idle. And it should have by now.

Signal strength: 16/31
Cell radio test: five ‘no receipt from ADC’ messages, then it reset the radio, then immediate receipt. Following that the activity now shows door #2 is closed. Door #1 and the motion detector are still in the wrong status on the web site.

So it’s not apparently a single sensor with a problem. They’re all communicating properly with the panel.

Good. I say that because it makes more sense for signaling to be an issue than a single sensor status not registering.

We’ll be working with ADC on possibilities here. Hopefully it is easier to pin down as outbound signal issues are far rarer than inbound. Will post back with update.

Good. I see that following the manual phone test succeeding, Door #2 registered a closure, then an Open/Close event. I’ll be around until about 10 PM EDT and checking messages here. If there’s anything else I need to do or test, I can.

I appreciate your timely help.

One thing to triple check locally is the antenna, just as a sanity check to verify that it is not loose. Press down firmly on the connector.

Another thing to look at is the power level at the panel to ensure the module is not getting under-powered. This can lower over time with resistance due to corrosion, etc. You can test this if you have access to a multimeter/voltmeter.

Can you run a cell phone test at this time?

The problem started before today when I opened the panel. When I had the panel open, I did check the antenna connection and it’s tight.

I’ll measure the voltage on the panel contacts but I’m pretty sure it will be alright.

I will run a cell test for you at 4:50 PM EDT exactly.

14.2 VDC at the supply; 14.15 VDC at the internal terminal strip.
Antenna jack tight and lead in wire undamaged. (No real opportunity for something to happen to it.)
Signal strength 17/31.
Cell test at 4:50: four no-receipts, radio reset, then successful result.

Do you by chance use a cellular network extender at your location?

No. The only radio type equipment would be a WAP, which is at least 35 feet away from the panel. And one floor down.