TS1 Backup Battery

I just installed my 2 TS1s today and I installed both within 10 minutes. All is working, but it seems the new version no longer use AAA batteries as a backup. Looks like there is an input plug in place of the batteries. What do I need to use for backup power?

Thanks

you don’t

option is UPS

that’s a barrel plug for AC transformer, same as is in the CP1. Option is to wire to terminals, or use barrel plug.

Well that was a poor design choice. Now I’m without a workable pad downstairs I’d I lose power…not a good move 2Gig!

The original back-up batteries for TS1s did not last long. In many cases an UPS was already used as a better supplement. Newer versions of the TS1 no longer have back up battery trays.

The original back-up batteries for TS1s did not last long.

I use rechargeables in my TS1 (800mah). Batteries last long enough in an outage, approx. 4-6 hours or so (the backlight is what kills the batteries fast, so 30sec to 1 min is what you want to set it as), then I simply pop in fresh rechargeables, and put the old ones on the charger (I rotate through 3 packs…12 batteries).

That said, I wouldn’t buy a newer TS1 since it lacks battery backup. You can get the older ones (says “Emergency” under button) new off places like eBay. As far as I can tell, there is zilch difference between the two hardware versions other than the cosmetic button names/symbols, and battery/no battery with barrel plug. UPS to me is not a better option. That’s just me though. I would use a PAD1 before a UPS.

But for those without that option a good UPS runs around $1,000, but you can get a cheap one at staples for $40 (9 min run time, maybe hour if just the TS1). $100-$200 UPS may double that time.

http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-ES-350VA-6-Outlet-Power-Saving-UPS/product_733724?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:733724&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=733724&KPID=733724&lsft=cid:PS-_-GooglePLAs-_-733724,kpid:733724&gclid=CjwKEAiAzuK0BRCW4tiLpJT-8TISJADV8cw9UKT2BqQsr4znv5Pwu-h7qpnVEHxWTbgqwCvlfa0DkBoCHlDw_wcB

Not a fan of the 2GIG decision to leave out back-up batteries myself.

On one hand it’s not a critical system device. On the other, in the event a power outage occurs, those using TS1s likely use them in locations they commonly enter and leave the home, so it changes how you use the system, which is certainly not ideal.

I’ve expressed this to 2GIG. Just speculation, but the decision may relate to other national companies and the fact that a short battery life, combined with the ability to just use any cheap AAA batteries (as opposed to a standardized battery pack that internally recharges like in Go!Control) likely resulted in a lot of truck rolls/support calls.

short battery life, combined with the ability to just use any cheap AAA batteries (as opposed to a standardized battery pack that internally recharges like in Go!Control) likely resulted in a lot of truck rolls/support calls.

You are kidding, right? System owners were too stupid to figure out how to replace AAA alkaline, or switch out AAA NIMH (both work)?

they should have left the option, in any event.

I am glad I still have my original TS1, but when I do replace or add another, I will be shopping eBay.

You are kidding, right? System owners were too stupid to figure out how to replace AAA alkaline, or switch out AAA NIMH (both work)?

Not exactly what I meant, no. An unfortunate effect of high volume quick installation is insufficient training/explanation of system components.

Again, I’m only speculating. The only thing I’ve actually heard from support reps was that the battery life was not deemed long enough. I am not a fan of the decision to eschew batteries.

1 Like