Trouble with the 2GIG 345 Takeover

Hi
I hate starting a new thread on something that probably has been address elsewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

Setting up my 2Gig system in my new house today.
Old system was a DSC unit (old) with 5 wired zones and a bunch more wireless zones.
While installing my 345 takeover, I did discover that the existing wireless devices won’t work with the 2Gig or with the 345 (oh well).

I wired everything into the 345 as per instructions (and a couple youtube videos-lol)
I powered everything up, in the right order, programmed my garage door, and nothing…
I figured maybe it is the resistors on the commons.
As I removed the garage door common from the DSC panel, I heard the 2 gig chime and announce the garage door!
So I cut off the resistor went to put it back in, and the 2gig announced again.
Back to the 2gig - still nothing.

So I programmed my kitchen motion detector, with an announcement
It also wasn’t recognized, but when I added or removed it from the DSC with the resistor still attached, I could hear the announcement

With either wire removed, the panel does say that it’s not ready to arm so it is seeing them, just not recognizing when they are open or activated.

I’ve confirmed voltages (13.4VDC at the DSC panel and the 345), double checked my wiring, everything is tight.

So, 2 questions.

1. What would happen if I put the common into the 345 and left the sensor wires on the DSC panel (I don’t think this is what I’ve done, seeing as how the DSC has it’s commons labeled, but I want to ask before I go through the work of reversing them).

2. And, should the red light be on on the 345? it came on briefly when I removed and re-inserted the positive lead while troubleshooting, but it never came on originally when I first powered everything up.
    (I did touch the two power leads to a second 12vdc battery and it still did not come on)

I guess I have a third question.
3. Why do I need to go through the DSC panel at all?
Can I simply eliminate it, tie all the commons together and then terminate them to the 345 ground using a pigtail (as per the instructions), then simply use a 12vdc power supply (I would assume 1A would be enough, but I have access to everything from 600mA to 8A).

At a minimum, it would clean up the wiring to eliminate it. Based on what I’m seeing, it’s simply being used as a terminal block, and truthfully, adds an additional level of failure (if/when the old DSC board fails).

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks

Jeff

3. Why do I need to go through the DSC panel at all? Can I simply eliminate it, tie all the commons together and then terminate them to the 345 ground using a pigtail (as per the instructions), then simply use a 12vdc power supply (I would assume 1A would be enough, but I have access to everything from 600mA to 8A).

To answer this question first, you don’t need to use the old DSC panel. You could of course replace it with a power supply and battery charging board.

This is commonly not done if the old panel is in working order as the old panel can do everything required, but there is no reason you can’t. You are correct in that all common wires simply need to connect to GND.

I’ve confirmed voltages (13.4VDC at the DSC panel and the 345), double checked my wiring, everything is tight.

Could you post a photo of the zone wiring at the TAKE and at the panel?

I wired everything into the 345 as per instructions (and a couple youtube videos-lol) I powered everything up, in the right order, programmed my garage door, and nothing… I figured maybe it is the resistors on the commons. As I removed the garage door common from the DSC panel, I heard the 2 gig chime and announce the garage door! So I cut off the resistor went to put it back in, and the 2gig announced again. Back to the 2gig – still nothing.

So that we are clear on the process, you are testing the sensors opening and closing after you have programmed into the 2GIG Panel, correct, but while installed you get no activity from the zone?

You then remove one of the circuit wires and the panel announces open?

Please ensure that all TAKE-345 zones are programmed as Loop 1.

What would happen if I put the common into the 345 and left the sensor wires on the DSC panel (I don’t think this is what I’ve done, seeing as how the DSC has it’s commons labeled, but I want to ask before I go through the work of reversing them).

As long as the wires are connected to the GND/Common terminals on the DSC panel, nothing. There is no required polarity with detection circuits. One wire must be connected to the Zone terminal and one to the GND.

The resistors are not required for the TAKE-345, so to ensure resistance isn’t an issue, they can be removed from the circuits.

should the red light be on on the 345? it came on briefly when I removed and re-inserted the positive lead while troubleshooting, but it never came on originally when I first powered everything up. (I did touch the two power leads to a second 12vdc battery and it still did not come on)

The LED is an indicator for the learn button on the board (not needed if you manually type in zones as suggested) If the panel is chiming for those zones when you disconnect a wire, that means the TAKE-345 is powered and signaling. The issue is not likely power application.