Trouble with IQ2

I just installed my Qolsys system with IQ, IQ2, and Hardwire 16. Everything works great except for the IQ2. It connects to and is recognized by the main panel and it can be used to arm and disarm the system, but it does not accurately reflect the system status and does not chime when a sensor is tripped. For example, when I open an exit door (with sensor connected via the Hardwire 16), the main IQ panel shows that the system is not ready, but the IQ2 still shows that it is ready. Also, the IQ chimes, but the IQ2 does not (even though the setting is set to make it chime). The weirdest thing is that the IQ2 history shows that exit door having been open and closed. It just isn’t using that info to update the system status and chime. Any thought on what is wrong?

The IQ2 may just need to be updated to version 1.5. It is a recent release and it is unlikely that all 1.4 units are out of distribution at this time. See this thread.

Unlike a 2GIG TS1, the IQ2 does not use a direct radio link with the primary control panel, rather they use IP communication on the location’s wifi network. This means they are not programmed prior to shipment.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will try to update tonight. How do I get the IQ2 to update? Is that something I initiate from the IQ2 or from the IQ? It wasn’t clear to me from the link you sent.

Steps below for updating if your panel is already 1.5.1:

1. From the IQ Panel touch “Settings”
  2. Enter a valid installer code (default is 1111)
  3. Touch “Installation”
  4. Touch “Upgrade Software”
  5. Touch “Patch Tag” and enter the patch “iq215” then touch Done, then OK
  6. Touch “IQ2 Panel Upgrade Using Network” and the update will download
  7. Press OK when prompted to send the update over the WI-FI network to any IQ2’s that are paired
    with the panel.
  8. Follow the on screen prompts on the IQ2 to accept and install the 1.5 update. Once installed the IQ2 will relaunch the software. Verify that it has been successfully updated by going to
    More>About. The Software Version should read: IQ2 - 1.5

Thanks! Will give it a try tonight.

OK, I’m still having trouble. I think I may have a connectivity issue between the IQ and IQ2. I followed the steps above, but the IQ2 did not do anything. I rebooted the IQ2 and the upgrade started, but it took hours to happen. It showed a message that data was loading from the main panel for at least 3 hours before I went to bed. When I woke up, it had finally upgraded and the interface was updated to look like the IQ interface (it looked different before). However, it is losing connection to the main panel. When I tried it first thing this morning it was not connected to the main panel and was freezing up, but then after a minute it made a connection and I could see my sensor statuses. However, it promptly lost connection to the main panel again and froze up. I was able to confirm it is running version 1.5 before it froze. I also have full bars showing for the wifi connection for both the IQ and IQ2 (to the same network). Any idea what is going on? This software seems very glitchy.

We had not received reports yet of issues regarding the IQ2 connectivity due to the update, but Qolsys did mention connectivity issues with IQ2 were addressed in a new version of the 1.5.1 update. Can you try “Upgrade using Network” on your IQ panel? There is a new version of the 1.5.1 patch which will begin download if you haven’t already done so.

The update should only take 5 minutes or so.

We will pass along your feedback to Qolsys as well.

OK, that seems to have worked. Thanks. The IQ2 still seems a little sluggish, though. For example, when I hit the sensor status button on the main screen, it takes maybe 3 seconds to get the info and switch that screen. Is that normal?

Keep in mind the IQ2 does not directly communicate with sensors. All of that info is grabbed from the primary IQ panel when you look at status.

That said, I wouldn’t imagine LAN IP based communication to have any noticeable delay. Have you tried rebooting the two?

Well, they both rebooted after I installed the new software on each. I can try again. Are there any other reasons that you have seen that the panels would connect, but would communicate slowly. For example, do I need to be worried about looking at the settings on my router? I saw something in another thread about dual band routers causing issues. Would that result in a total lack of communication or could that cause slowness?

That would cause no communication between the two if the IQ2 and IQ connected to different networks. (5 and 2.4) They need to be on the same LAN under the same SSID

Wifi devices always have the possibility of errors and strange incompatibility with the huge variety of networking options on the market. It’s pretty much impossible for any manufacturer to test every permutation.

It’s very rare though, and typically is a result of default settings on a specific router model.

I would recommend trying to reboot the IQ and IQ2. Report any instances or continued performance concerns. Let us know the model of router you are using. I will follow up with Qolsys regarding this with any details you provide and they should be able to determine best course.

I rebooted both panels. IQ reboots fine. IQ2 sits in “downloading data from main panel” state for a long time. It’s already been a hour in that state. That’s the part that seems off to me. Is that normal?

Also, another issue. My door wired via the Hardwire 16 works fine, except that it was chiming and doing the voice prompt when opened but has now stopped without any reason. The sound settings still indicate that it should be making those sounds. Again, something just doesn’t seem right. IQ2 also doesn’t chime, but it never did.

Is it just the one Zone on the Hardwire 16 which fails to chime? Does it fail to report open at all? Can you trip it during a sensor test?

I’m updating Qolsys with your description.

I have an IQ2, as well and of course an IQ Panel.

The IQ Panel just upgraded (via a manual check of of software updates over the weekend) to 1.5.1 (HW Rev F) and after the upgrade, several hours later, the IQ2 Panel stopped talking to the main panel. I have verified full IP connectivity (both on the same IP subnet and 2.4 wifi SSID).

The IQ2 panel shows version 1.4 on the IQ status panel and version 1.4 on the about page of the IQ2.

I ran that steps described above to upgrade the IQ2 but it just says cannot connect to primary and hangs regularly.

Any idea on how to get the update to push through? I have rebooted both devices and even try registering the device which may have left me in an even more messed up state.

Does your IQ2 screen wake up from sleep by touching the screen?

See this thread.

It wakes up, i tried to patiently reset the IQ2 panel from the menu, then shut it down, then go to the IQ panel and delete the IQ2 from the list. then reboot both of them, then re-registered the IQ2 to the IQ, then run the update procedure from above. this time it all took, and the panel is upgraded. I think it was just having connection issues that the re-registration again seemed to clear.

so now I am on 1.5.1 on the IQ and 1.5 on the IQ2, is that the latest patch level?

Yes, 1.5.1 and 1.5 are the latest firmware for the IQ and IQ2, respectively.

Me again. Back from travels and troubleshooting this again. I reinstalled the Hardwire 16 and zone and that all seems to working fine.

I still have an issue with the IQ2. It has been working fine to indicate when a sensor is opened. However, when I try to use it to get to sensor status or home automation, it fails to connect with the primary panel and displays that error message. It’s almost like it does fine with push messages from the IQ, but has a problem with pulling data from the IQ. Thoughts?

Oh, and I forgot to add that the IQ2 does eventually connect with the IQ to grab sensor status or go to home automation. It just takes several tries for it to eventually connect.

Thanks, that description will likely assist. I am checking with Qolsys now.